Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to go in a different direction..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to go in a different direction..

I have been a member of the Army Reseve since 2004 and I have been an active member upto 2007. Due to a mixture of stagnation in my unit and changes forced on sub units due to re-org etc.. and work commitments over that time has meant that, I have not been actvely parading much since then. Just on odd occasions.

To be honest i have now come to a decision over last while that the unit i am serving with, is not where i want to stay due to different reasons and I have been looking at different unit/corps close to me where i would be interested in moving to and I have chose one that always be interested in.

Now my question to you are..

How do i go about applying for a transfer to a new unit, even if I have not been actively parading much with my current unit?

To be accepted by a new unit do you comeplete a interview?

Whats the best way to contact them?

I know there has been plenty of transfer threads before but i taught with all the current talk on changing attidudes due to the re org and falling numbers it would be good to hear responses?

I still feel i have something to give to the organisation but I am looking for something different from it.
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

1. Is it between sub-units within the same unit - e.g. Coys within an Inf battalion ? If so it is easy - Battalion CO's approval and Coy Commander's approvals

2. If between Units it must be done with both unit COs approval + GOC approval. Depending on Rank and trade there may be skill hurdles before being effective in the new unit - for example doing all the Cav vehicle courses.

3. Above assumes you are not non-effective. If you are you must come off the n/eff list beforehand.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I would hopefully be transfering from an infantry unit to a corp unit in CBB.

I presume it would be best to contact my sub unit to discuss it first or would it be better to contct the unit i wish to transfer to?
      British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
      Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Go into your Cadre, ask them for transfer papers. That's what a mate of mine did.

Don't expect it to go through too fast though. I have heard of transfers being held up for a long time because "We trained him, and we clothed him". Some people may think you belong to the Unit.

Well this is what happened when a mate of mine tried to transfer into my unit, took so long that eventually he just gave it all up.
        I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

i recommend you keep your cards close to your chest;
          make an appointment, through your reserve cs, to meet with your company commander;
          do not let the cat out of the bag by telling anyone without firstly doing your company commander the courtesy of informing him first;
          make sure you attend the appointment in uniform;
          discuss the matter with him and ask him for his support;
          don't diss his company;
          tell him you're very grateful to him & his company for all they've done for you, etc;
          if necessary, give him a bullsh!t excuse but that might come back to haunt you;
          get him onside or else you're at nothing;
          let him inform the relevant pdf staff officer of your request and his cadre will set things in motion;
          best of luck with it;
          let us know if you're successful.

Comment

Transfering is easy. As aid above talk to your CS. He'll probably try to talk you out of it but if he can't he wil pass you up the chain.

Paperwork gets delayed and even lost but if you really want to go you will get the transfer.

There is no problem with skills either, you just must be prepared to do the courses. If you are going into a corps unit you may have to get used to someone of a lower rank instructing you. Not everone can accept this.

In the past couple of years we have had a number of personnel of varying ranks transfer in. One point to note is that NCO or Officer can be demoted to a lower NCO/officer rank if there is no vacancy at their current rank. Some years ago this happened in the past to a Sgt who, 15 years later has not regained his third stripe.
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

It can also happen if you don't have the required skills, eg a Infantry 3* could become 2* Tech.

Comment

possible but less likely.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

I have transfered between corps and know a number of other that did too. Of all those I know no 3* was ever demoted to 2* on a transfer.
                  that is going
                  Inf - Tpt, Tpt - CIS, CIS - AD, AD - CIS, Inf - CIS, Cav- Tpt, Tpt - Inf, MPC - Tpt, CIS - Tpt, Tpt - AD- Tpt

I was told that it might be required but of those I know that did it none were demoted. I can only speak from my experience, you appear to have experience to the contary.
                  Last edited by luchi; 7 January 2009, 17:10.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

I didn't do all the transferes, I did 2...........................I said I know a few people that transfered and none of them were made 2*s

But you are right ..........no one likes me...........

What exactly to you mean "regraded" 2* tech?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Not sure on this but I think 3* and 2* tech are equivalent grades (ie a 3* or 2* tech can do a PNCO course).

In theory a 3* (even in the infantry) can be regraded (have there grade changed) to a lower grade. For example:

We regraded a properly qualified 3* as 3* Tech G1 so she could fill the Coy Dvr appointment in Coy HQ, we got a call to ask why we were regrading her to recruit

Comment

change is good , but make sure that when you transfeer PARADE! Don't get known as the guy who came in and never played. It can be hard starting over and trying to break the ice but if you commit your peers will accept you.
                        :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Are you saying taking a driver appointment of a transfer to Tpt is a demotion?

Comment

Colonel Decker, if you are refering to my post:

It wasn't a transfer, we were filling an appointment within the coy. We were regrading and changing the appointment of a 3* Line to a 3* Tech (Grade 1), the caller taught we were regrading a 3* to a recruit. Regrading doesn't happen very often in the infantry!

I just taught of the reason a regrading could be required on transfer, would it be to do with the establishment, eg if all the 3*s in a engineer or transport coy are tech appointments, a line 3* or other tech grade isn't able to fill the appointment??????

Comment

As Trellheim mentioned above, the fact that you haven't been parading much with
                              your existing unit, may well be seen as a problem with the brass in the unit
                              you want to transfer to. After all, the new unit probably already has their own
                              share of non attenders, without contending with another.

And yes, as mentioned above, you may be downgraded in rank on transfer to
                              a Corps unit, I saw an Inf Cpl go down to 3 * rank before regaining his
                              stripes. He left the FCA as a Sgt, having completed his Std NCO Cse
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X