Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookhouse Fury

Right lads,
    I was on a field day last Sunday in a barracks in the southern Brigade (Will not name yet) and as per the norm we qued up for lunch. It just happened that I was prob 5th in the queue. A number of PDF lads on duty went to the top of the queue ahead of us and one or two in civvies did the same.
    From experience I see the people doing the duties as having a right to jump the queue as to return to there post ASAP.

My problem is this
    There were 3 different meals.
    Steak, Beef Stew and Chicken.
    As I said above I was prob 5th and when I got to the top I was giving no choice and the Beef stew was handed out. Some of the lads said that the steak and the chicken was being ‘kept’ for the lads on duty….So the second class soldiers of the RDF get the Beef slop Stew!!!!!
    Is this the norm in other barracks around the country??? This is happening the whole time!!!
    Why should I eat something I don’t want so that the PDF man can have the nice steak???

That is unusual. Usually whats on th emenu for one is the same for all. With the proviso of course that first come first served.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

You are linking duties with PDF. Not necessarily so, especially given it is a weekend - could have been RDF. It is easy enough to order stuff specifically if you are on duty and they have it available.

What duties were they? If it was Limerick, then it is likely that it was being kept for Shannon duties guys who deserve it with the crap duty they are pulling. Then again, it is unusual that the Chicken wasn't on offer. Steaks are usually reserved for those on duty.... not chicken. If you are near the end of the line and the duties guys have all been in, it is normal to get access to the steak then.

I'm RDF, I've been offered special treatment from the cookhouse when I have been on duty, usually because I can't walk down the road to a chipper and stuff my face when I want - I'm living off of army food for the day.

And if you don't like Beef Stew, then I think you are in the wrong army! Many times it was Beef Stew or nothing and noone was getting steaks.

Comment

Those same lads that got food kept for them wouldn't be going home until the next morning. You on the other hand, could go home that evening and get yourself something nice to eat. You're making something out of nothing.

Beef stew is the food of Gods by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by riflemangundy View Post
          Right lads,
          I was on a field day last Sunday in a barracks in the southern Brigade (Will not name yet) and as per the norm we qued up for lunch. It just happened that I was prob 5th in the queue. A number of PDF lads on duty went to the top of the queue ahead of us and one or two in civvies did the same.
          From experience I see the people doing the duties as having a right to jump the queue as to return to there post ASAP.

My problem is this
          There were 3 different meals.
          Steak, Beef Stew and Chicken.
          As I said above I was prob 5th and when I got to the top I was giving no choice and the Beef stew was handed out. Some of the lads said that the steak and the chicken was being ‘kept’ for the lads on duty….So the second class soldiers of the RDF get the Beef slop Stew!!!!!
          Is this the norm in other barracks around the country??? This is happening the whole time!!!
          Why should I eat something I don’t want so that the PDF man can have the nice steak???
          I wouldnt say thats the norm, I'd imagine you met one of the last remaining old school cooks i.e. a dyed in the wool fourteen carot bitter p***k of a soldier.
          Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Never seen that happen, I have seen PDF lads on Duties in Glen and CBC going up to the Cooks and asking for whatever they want to be kept for them, but this is only for the lads on Duty. No one else.

Personally I like Beef Stew so I wouldn't complain too much!!!

Was there much Chicken and Steak there??? Or only a few bits??

remember, the Guys on Duty Eat in shifts. They don't all go at once.
            I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
              Many times it was Beef Stew or nothing and noone was getting steaks.
              Remember those days well !!!
              Was nearly always able to get 2nd and third portions in those days on the ranges,
              as some of my other, then, colleagues, didn't like stew

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
              Beef stew is the food of Gods by the way.
              Not far off the truth there...
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Duties always go to the top of the queue

but I have never (in the last 10-15years) seen food

distributed like you say

I find that the newer breed of Army Chef is a professional and can turn out the grub to a high standard

I think people based in CBB can smile and laugh at the rest of you because we seem to have a

realy high standard of cuisine- with multiple choices on offer.
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

So instead of complaining here why did you not bring it to the attention of either:-

A P.D.F. Officer in your Unit,

A R.D.F. Officer in your Unit,

A Senior P.D.F. N.C.O. in your Unit,

A R.D.F. N.C.O. in your Unit,

the B.O.S. / Orderly Officer of the day of the Barracks in question?

And the local R.D.F.O.R.R.A. representative?

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                    So instead of complaining here why did you not bring it to the attention of either:-

A P.D.F. Officer in your Unit,

A R.D.F. Officer in your Unit,

A Senior P.D.F. N.C.O. in your Unit,

A R.D.F. N.C.O. in your Unit,

the B.O.S. / Orderly Officer of the day of the Barracks in question?

And the local R.D.F.O.R.R.A. representative?

Connaught Stranger.
                    +1

Comment

being one of the last in the same queue myself people were fortunate they got anything , don't think id begrudge the duties the steak on a Sunday , given there was one chef and all the body's to feed don't see it as a PDF vs sandbags issue the lack of cutlery and plates seats id say the cook house mightn't been expecting such a large number , it has to be remembered that the arrival time of RDF units and the dinner time may not lead itself to everyone having a choice . being a regular diner in the establishment its an isolated case ,

though what annoyed me was the amount of people in authority rushing to the top of the que without seeing that all men were fed or is that a thing of the past ?
                      Last edited by greyfox; 29 January 2009, 13:18.
                      "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                        id say the cook house mightn't been expecting such a large number , it has to be remembered that the arrival time of RDF units and the dinner time may not lead itself to everyone having a choice . being a regular diner in the establishment its an isolated case

Not the case.

If you guys were in on a scheduled training field day, then there would have been
                        ration indents put in for the numbers attending, so the cookhouse staff would have
                        allowed for the extra numbers. You Cadre would have done this - or did they ????

As the Hog says above, duties get first priority, after that, it should be
                        first come, first served, as Goldie said

As for:

Some of the lads said that the steak and the chicken was
                        being ‘kept’ for the lads on duty
                        Why wasn't this food put aside for same, as someone said, the duties would
                        probably have rung down to box off the relevant preferences for dinner,
                        so I think this cook was just acting the bollocks....

Originally posted by Greyfox
                        though what annoyed me was the amount of people in authority
                        rushing to the top of the que without seeing that all men were fed or is
                        that a thing of the past ?
                        No, it is certainly not a thing of the past.

On a Recruit Training Module 2 Camp, we certainly made sure the recruits
                        were ahead of us in the queue for food at all times

Troops under training should be first in the queue, followed by their superiors.
                        Those in question should get a good talking to.
                        And if the same cook hadn't his head up his hole, he would have
                        run the afore-mentioned down the queue behind their troops....
                        Last edited by Truck Driver; 29 January 2009, 13:57.
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Food

So, how does the IDF cater for specialty diets then? You know, vegetarian, Kosher, etc? The US will sort of work with you, but not to a great extent. In barracks, those who eat a specialty food generally will sort themselves out, sandwiches, etc. The cooks are supposed to work with you but it's difficult sometimes to convince them. I once had a Mess SGT tell me when I asked about vegetarian options tell me "well there is a salad bar, besides, it's their own fault for not eating meat".

In the field there are vegetarian MRE's now in every case which are also kosher. I had one lad when we deployed, who was Jewish and tried living on the MRE's for a while. He ended up giving in and eating the slop from the cooks. It was an issue for him and he brought it up to me (I was his CO), I loooked into the regs, unfortunately it says language to the effect of "when reasonably available given local circumstances" which didn't exactly cover Afghanistan.

Most of our bases have an arrangement where those on duty can skip to the front as well FWIW. Generally reserved for the MP's, fire crews, etc.

A

Comment

Originally posted by irishrgr View Post
                            So, how does the IDF cater for specialty diets then? You know, vegetarian, Kosher, etc? The US will sort of work with you, but not to a great extent. In barracks, those who eat a specialty food generally will sort themselves out, sandwiches, etc. The cooks are supposed to work with you but it's difficult sometimes to convince them. I once had a Mess SGT tell me when I asked about vegetarian options tell me "well there is a salad bar, besides, it's their own fault for not eating meat".

In the field there are vegetarian MRE's now in every case which are also kosher. I had one lad when we deployed, who was Jewish and tried living on the MRE's for a while. He ended up giving in and eating the slop from the cooks. It was an issue for him and he brought it up to me (I was his CO), I loooked into the regs, unfortunately it says language to the effect of "when reasonably available given local circumstances" which didn't exactly cover Afghanistan.

Most of our bases have an arrangement where those on duty can skip to the front as well FWIW. Generally reserved for the MP's, fire crews, etc.

A
                            Irishrgr, I can honestly never remember a specific vegetarian option being made available
                            in any dining hall at meal time, on every occasion

At lunch, there would probably be a salad available, in addition to the hot meals.
                            Maybe a pasta option on occasions.

I can't comment on kosher or Islamic dietary requirements, as I think that these categories
                            would be fairly rare in the Defence Forces

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              Irishrgr, I can honestly never remember a specific vegetarian option being made available
                              in any dining hall at meal time, on every occasion

At lunch, there would probably be a salad available, in addition to the hot meals.
                              Maybe a pasta option on occasions.

I can't comment on kosher or Islamic dietary requirements, as I think that these categories
                              would be fairly rare in the Defence Forces

When I was in the 20th Bn (E Coy) We had a Vegetarian, and a Big Lad he was too..Cannot remember his name :( (trellheim can vouch for this also) when we went on camps or ARPs He was given a Vegetarian Meal.

Comment

Working...
                              X