REMF Split from Cookhouse woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 84Mac View Post
    How about Thermal drawers hairy one of wrapped around a brush handle for application of floor polish & recruits 2 of sitting on an overturned table with a buckshee grey army blanket as a polisher with the rest of the section taking turns swinging the table around ? Ah Memories :-)
    Ahhh!!!! the smell of that orange waxy petroleum based polish, its in my nose as I type,

It was an epic fire starter as well

By the way there is no such thing as a "buckshee" grey army blanket,

you are either up one or down one,

I will send you the bill on behalf of the Minister of Defence

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Ahhh!!!! the smell of that orange waxy petroleum based polish, its in my nose as I type,

It was an epic fire starter as well
      Was witness to the result of a milk carton full of this vile liquid being used to start a fire, the fire was not confined to the paramaters of the fire place..and the guy whose innovative idea it was spent alot opf time repaint the interior of the office.

lead swinger seemed to be a piece of equipment that was unique to the DF..wonder did any of them wind up in museums.

If you gave a week polishing alleyways or hallways with one it was akin to pumping iron for the same time frame.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

"Sailors used to use lines weighted with lead in order to check how deep the water was beneath their ships. The lazier mariners skimped on the task and just swung the lead in the air, calling out a fictitious depth."

When the stout ship reeled with the tempest's blows,
        And the voice of prayer 'mid the storm arose
        As the jagged line of the dread lee-shore
        Came dim to herald the breakers' roar! -
        Twas then that the seaman swung the lead
        With a circling sweep round his rain-beat head,
        And launching it down in the troubled sea,
        Sang loudly and clear this song to me:

Quarter less four! - Quarter less four!
        Hark! how the breakers roar a-lee,
        Chanting aloud, In devilish glee.
        Chorusing ever, "One ship more!"
        Wrecks ashore I can plainly see;
        Corpses are lying there - corpses four:
        There, alack! we shall shortly be -
        Three fathoms only! - Quarter less three!
        Last edited by blaisec; 1 February 2009, 23:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
          Does living in the back of a truck on rations count as cushty number??? Ah yes I forgot, us REMFs as you call us have central heating in the wagons and lovely fold away beds with duvets when we are on ex.

Dont be an idiot, you would swear you are the only person that donned a uniform that had to suffer hardship and cold and wet. Grow up. Tpt and the like used to be designated FIELD units for a reason.
          Well done Transport..... if only I was referring to Transport as a corp!!!

REMF - People from every unit/Corps/Etc. who wouldn't know what to do with a sleeping bag if they ever saw one! For whom dinner is a meal on a plate rather than gruel from a bag.
          I'm referring to PEOPLE within EVERY and ALL units. No one mentioned transport.....except you. No one mention Artillery except Turbocalves.
          Last edited by Docman; 2 February 2009, 20:56.

Comment

you really do need a hug dennis..........
            Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

Oh in my day we had it so hard...green rags for uniforms, we had to paint our feet black and lace up our shins. They made us dig our own graves with cookhouse spoons - then we had to bale 'em out when the rain came down. They fed us grey eggs, fat that had no bacon and dock leaves instead of cabbage...the cook would season it with cigarette ash for free.

Fer chrissakes.

The entire of Ireland is in the rear echelon. So much froth over an army steak.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Was witness to the result of a milk carton full of this vile liquid being used to start a fire, the fire was not confined to the paramaters of the fire place..and the guy whose innovative idea it was spent alot opf time repaint the interior of the office.

lead swinger seemed to be a piece of equipment that was unique to the DF..wonder did any of them wind up in museums.

If you gave a week polishing alleyways or hallways with one it was akin to pumping iron for the same time frame.

Ah! the good old days, when one did not have to worry about Health & Safety issues

Comment

one of our hereos once used an electric polisher to scrub the sides of the ship before painting it

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                    one of our hereos once used an electric polisher to scrub the sides of the ship before painting it
                    That took brains...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

REMF is a funny concept its always the line drawn behind the REMF that calls it.

Comment

Please enlighten us further...has to be unique !

Only in the navy could this have happened..I suppose the army equivalent would be a guy on the top of a mowag with same device...

For all these you have to love the DF,, doesn't ever happen like this in civvy street,
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                        X