The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apod View Post
    Beacause they are going to six full strength BNs in the DF and three "Category C" Bn's( coy+).
    Does this mean that future overseas deployments will be batallions that are already formed / upto strenght ? What will the company plus sized units be used for ?
    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by knocker View Post
      What will the company plus sized units be used for ?
      Training Battalions in each Brigade area...It would make much more sense to have one training Bn in a location like the Curragh IMHO
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Are training batallions like demonstration troops and when theyre not doing that they deal with all the other niff naff and trivia ?
        Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

• So then the question remains

When the axe falls will the RDF follow?

Will 62 Inf become the coy+ training unit?

Or will we have another round of who will do what and what unit should be reduced that will take years to sort out?
          Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Are training batallions like demonstration troops and when theyre not doing that they deal with all the other niff naff and trivia ?
            I'm not 100% sure on how the training Bns will be made up. From what I have heard though, they will take in the existing BTC's and will be responsible for training Recruits and PNCOs.

Re the axe falling on the RDF, a lot depends on the VFM report, but I have a feeling that the cuts to the RDF are going to reflect the current effective strength, so the companys that have platoon minus strength will probably be merged to form Coy. To be honest, I would not be entirely shocked if the current RDF Bns became RDF Coys within a PDF Bn, or at least admined by a PDF Bn if they are not an organic element.
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
              so the companys that have platoon minus strength will probably be merged to form Coy. To be honest, I would not be entirely shocked if the current RDF Bns became RDF Coys within a PDF Bn, or at least admined by a PDF Bn if they are not an organic element.

Carefull odin, that makes far too much sense.
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Does this mean that future overseas deployments will be batallions that are already formed / upto strenght ? What will the company plus sized units be used for ?
                There are a few different options being looked at AFAIK.That one is one of them.
                The smaller units were originally going to be the training units but i believe that model has been thrown out.Who knows what they will be used for now.

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                Training Battalions in each Brigade area...It would make much more sense to have one training Bn in a location like the Curragh IMHO
                Agreed.However there is no Inf Bn in the DFTC and there is no provision for one.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                  There are a few different options being looked at AFAIK.That one is one of them.
                  The smaller units were originally going to be the training units but i believe that model has been thrown out.Who knows what they will be used for now.

Agreed.However there is no Inf Bn in the DFTC and there is no provision for one.
                  Could they be used by the UN School and the infantry courses run at the Glen ? Maybe even pick up the ceremonial bits at the airport ?
                  Last edited by knocker; 6 July 2011, 15:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                    I'm not 100% sure on how the training Bns will be made up. From what I have heard though, they will take in the existing BTC's and will be responsible for training Recruits and PNCOs.
                    Among other elements

Comment

• I just finished the first ever btc recruit course last week.we were the first recruit platoon and if the second and every other platoon is trained like we wer I think the rep of the rdf might rise

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
                        I just finished the first ever btc recruit course last week.we were the first recruit platoon and if the second and every other platoon is trained like we wer I think the rep of the rdf might rise
                        Did you not say you were starting PDF recruit training back in March?
                        Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
                        Starting in Aiken next week

Comment

• I did indeed and I would have been passing out today if it wasn't for the horrible injury I picked up,I was absolutly devestated,I had most of the training done,but I still hav a chance to do some of the things I love in the rdf so it's better than noting I suppose

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
                            I did indeed and I would have been passing out today if it wasn't for the horrible injury I picked up,I was absolutly devestated,I had most of the training done,but I still hav a chance to do some of the things I love in the rdf so it's better than noting I suppose
                            What was your injury?
                            Why did you quite?

Yeh they are passing out as 2* Privates today, only another 12 weeks of training left.

Comment

• Knee injury,it's a pretty long story one which I can't really talk about but I was sad t leave o loved every part of training and it was a great experiance but I'm happy in the rdf for the moment gonna see how college goes before I make a decision on re applying or not.yeah there a good bunch of lads

Comment

While it would certainly make sense to do it that way, you still have a Coy full of troops that need Overseas trips to fulfill their contracts so I can't see it going along the lines of 5 Bn going Overseas as a Unit.

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                                So then the question remains

When the axe falls will the RDF follow?

Will 62 Inf become the coy+ training unit?

Or will we have another round of who will do what and what unit should be reduced that will take years to sort out?
                                In a brief we were given a while back the plan was to keep the 3 RDF Bn's, while pulling all Cadre Staff back under the command of the Training Bn.

Originally posted by apod View Post
                                As of roughly a week ago, we're being turned into a Training Bn. I haven't recieved a full brief yet but that's what we were told.

Comment

Working...
                                X