The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    When it comes to making SIC2 trained NCOs and officers available; I think planning and not necessarily availability is key here. Course dates need to be planned and known six months in advance if possible (and earlier). It's very annoying to get confirmed dates for a course only two weeks before it is due to start and then you are the worst in the world because you can't attend due to a holiday, etc. I know there are valid resourcing reasons that make that planning difficult but it's that kind of messing around that causes people to become disillusioned with the organisation and not make themselves available in the first place.
    But there is a more than likely 90% chance that the person organising it knew at least a month in advance. Comms is still a major issue.

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    Chicken and egg, if we don't recruit, we won't have a chance to retain, if we don't retain, we won't have the JNCO/Officers to train future recruits.
    we can recruit and start training 1000 preppie annually but if we only retain 60% you are p*ssing into the wind. If you don’t have personnel to train them then you can’t train them. Also remember those retained are the future JNCOs in a few years time. Importantly retention also aids recruitment, as people stay they will tell others they should join.

That doesn’t mean that recruitment should be abandoned but we prioritise both and box smarter (Bde/RDF level courses for ILSWs, driving etc).

This is needed now though, like the course is in need now as there aren't enough drivers to do details at present.
    has it been requested?

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    Truck Driver will no doubt be along to tell us soon either way. I was not aware Mod2B could run without the trailer component.
    That's very interesting about the driving course. I didn't know they could run the MOD 2B without trailer. I always assumed that the only way you would get a 154 without trailer is to fail that aspect of the course. Good call to remove it if not needed though. It took up a significant proportion of the course I was on. Could definitely fast track without it.
    Not 100% sure how it was worked but we were given a restricted 154 (no trailer). There were a number of PDF on the course as well who I think could possibly have done the trailer.

A number of people subsequently redid the test at a later day in order to have the trailer added so they could progress to Module 3 (can’t do so without it)

Comment

• DRES should seek EOI from formations of personnel interested in attending sic2 course(s). Should be included in TED 20/21. When received, consolidate and publish in formation RO's. DJ7 must include in TED and
      TRR included and send to formations to supply instructors rdf/pdf. Once dates are confirmed for training publish and nominate, forward to DRES for selection. Commence course and complete, the course is modular. The follow on should be an DF RDF rec camp, instructors drawn from RDF sic2 instructors and oversight from PDF. Location could be Bereisland, it was used before. This should include all common instruction, weapons and lectures, complete that, then focus on uncommon areas during they two weeks. This should all be repeated for a period of years. If this is planned around recruitment campaigns it can flow from campaign to training camp. It will not suit everyone but it should help. It's something that DRES may be able to push using the normal channels. Rdf need to draw up draft plan for both to see does it fit around TS I.e. weekend training followed by two week camp. Get that through and working and it's a great start. Then plan for continuation trg ie 3* and so on.

Comment

• Before its said, the glen, kilworth etc are PDF training areas first. Bereisland not so much demand. And the plan works better without covid 19, so that monkey needs to be factored in.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
          Before its said, the glen, kilworth etc are PDF training areas first. Bereisland not so much demand. And the plan works better without covid 19, so that monkey needs to be factored in.
          Also, who knows how level 3 restrictions are going to impact training nights from Wednesday morning....

Comment

• There are 2 RDF half Cols in DFHQ. 1 in J7 and 1 in D Res.

Next year's TED is nearly ready. Thsy should be actively seeking to shape it. To be honest, anything the RDF can do without big inputs from the PDF will be pushing against an open door

Comment

DRES should seek EOI from formations of personnel interested in attending sic2 course(s). Should be included in TED 20/21. When received, consolidate and publish in formation RO's. DJ7 must include in TED and
              TRR included and send to formations to supply instructors rdf/pdf. Once dates are confirmed for training publish and nominate, forward to DRES for selection. Commence course and complete, the course is modular. The follow on should be an DF RDF rec camp, instructors drawn from RDF sic2 instructors and oversight from PDF. Location could be Bereisland, it was used before. This should include all common instruction, weapons and lectures, complete that, then focus on uncommon areas during they two weeks. This should all be repeated for a period of years. If this is planned around recruitment campaigns it can flow from campaign to training camp. It will not suit everyone but it should help. It's something that DRES may be able to push using the normal channels. Rdf need to draw up draft plan for both to see does it fit around TS I.e. weekend training followed by two week camp. Get that through and working and it's a great start. Then plan for continuation trg ie 3* and so on.
              Not sure about RDF level, Bde level definitely (depends on the numbers really)

A number of phases are required:

Phase 1:
              Interviewer training and SIC2 Cses
              recruitment campaign (concurrent)
              Recruit Cse admin & planning

Phase 2:
              Admin, Interviews, fitness testing, starting of security clearance process (on 1 day)
              Instr refresher training (concurrent & centralised at Bde/RDF level)
              Medicals

Phase 3:
              Attestation
              Issuing of uniforms & kit
              Commencement of cse (non-FTT)

Phase 4:
              FTT
              Passing Out

It has to be planned that phases 1-4 are completed within Max 7 months of the start for the vast majority (there will be some outliers) and immediately followed by 2-3* training (planning, instr training, SIC2 etc taking place in phase 3.

Ideally you want the same Instrs (and students) for the training weekend (3 weeks FTT isn’t really feasible) and you can’t have travel time (and expense) eat into training time... for that reason I’d say Bde level and it must be consistent.

To a degree it’s the training weekends that make it complicated really. But also remember that if it’s an all RDF course you’ll have people travelling from Donegal who will have to leave yesterday to arrive this morning.

Comment

• The points about travel eating into time is something g which is difficult to resolve, in particular if using g Bereisland but my guess is DFTC will be most difficult to get. Same instructors wont be possible for RDF. It needs to be more open but all instructors need the correct training. Hence over sight from PDF. I really think if the plan is developed and presented to PDF it will gain traction but the big risk is if RDF cant then produce the people. Could be used as a stick to beat us.

Comment

• but my guess is DFTC will be most difficult to get
                  Depends very much on what you are looking for as its doing so darn much and there's a lot of pressure on accomodation due to so many courses. Other than that if people have it they'll give it to you. Why not consider Athlone for example, manned barracks and easier than DFTC for the West lads.

o be honest, anything the RDF can do without big inputs from the PDF will be pushing against an open door
                  we're very conscious of this.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The points about travel eating into time is something g which is difficult to resolve, in particular if using g Bereisland but my guess is DFTC will be most difficult to get. Same instructors wont be possible for RDF. It needs to be more open but all instructors need the correct training. Hence over sight from PDF. I really think if the plan is developed and presented to PDF it will gain traction but the big risk is if RDF cant then produce the people. Could be used as a stick to beat us.
                    It is hence why I say Bde level. You are right about the DFTC (as at an RDF level you’d be talking probably 300.

There are very very few lessons on the recruit syllabus that require PDF personnel (only as they generally don’t exist in the RDF). All you need is competent RDF Instrs and staff who are allowed to do their jobs.

You need PDF support yes but really just during recruitment process (which can be supported by RDF if let)

I realise now I forgot RLO training - phase 0

Comment

• Dev, you have more insight than I do. Your plan phase 0 to 4 looks like the way forward. Now it just needs to be compiled, submitted, reviewed, accepted, implemented and delivered. Anyone one up for it.....

Comment

Dev, you have more insight than I do. Your plan phase 0 to 4 looks like the way forward. Now it just needs to be compiled, submitted, reviewed, accepted, implemented and delivered. Anyone one up for it.....
                        That’s just my thoughts on it (not the plan itself)

Put it this way DFTC and NSR can attest people within 6 weeks of close of campaign due to prior planning. The DFTC has the advantage of everything in 1 location etc but it just requires joined up thinking.

Comment

• 6 weeks, that's incredible. Fair play to them. Can that not be used to get recruitment up. But there needs to be the training plan or they will walk after a while.

Comment

6 weeks, that's incredible. Fair play to them. Can that not be used to get recruitment up. But there needs to be the training plan or they will walk after a while.
                            You’d thing so. It is about RDF taking leadership and ownership. Proper Prior Planning.
                            Those attested started training immediately in DFTC and NSR

Comment

• there's a case for the entire countries' cohort to do their recruit training centrally at the same time
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Training doesn’t appear to be as much of an issue getting to that stage is.

Comment

Working...
                                X