Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bill passed unopposed it seems.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Bill passed unopposed it seems.
      Saw it had passed through the Dáil alright. Has it cleared the Seanad also?
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

      Comment


      • no not yet and then an t-Uachtaran has to sign
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

        "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

        Comment


        • E coy, 12 Inf Bn currently recruiting

          Comment


          • https://www.candidatemanager.net/cm/...DUU&sid=BGTDGT

            The Reserve Defence Forces are now accepting applications for E Coy, 12 Infantry Battalion (Tralee) 1 Brigade Army Reserve. We are looking for men and women from all backgrounds who enjoy working as part of a team. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and under 36 years of age on date of application (We cannot accept applications from persons under 18 years of age).
            Apparently it's a more streamlined pilot process that, if successful, will be implemented by all units

            Comment


            • Has anyone else seen this? From Wavell room, how to rethink how the UK reserve operates. Many points could apply here too.
              The Identity Crisis of a Reservist » Wavell Room

              Comment


              • https://twitter.com/irlcodf/status/1...912523267?s=21

                meeting between CODF and AR Lt Cols plus a NSR Lt Cdr

                Comment


                • The Defence Amendment Bill has now reached the Seanad and is on the order paper. It is not on business for this week but fingers crossed should be up soon
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

                  "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

                  Comment


                  • Seanad tomorrow @1830 - its gone onto the schedule !
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

                    "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      Has anyone else seen this? From Wavell room, how to rethink how the UK reserve operates. Many points could apply here too.
                      The Identity Crisis of a Reservist » Wavell Room
                      Reliability is a factor especially when grouped in number. The navy put a complete reservist crew, including officers on a corvette, and it took weeks of rebuilding the trip so that a log book could be submitted after they went home. It gave me sleepless nights as I had to rewrite the trip as a screen play. It was in the 1960's.
                      Last edited by ancientmariner; 29 September 2021, 09:11.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

                        Reliability is a factor especially when grouped in number. The navy put a complete reservist crew, including officers on a corvette, and it took weeks of rebuilding the trip so that a log book could be submitted after they went home. It gave me sleepless nights as I had to rewrite the trip as a screen play. It was in the 1960's.
                        Tell us more...

                        Comment


                        • Would have put that down to poor training surely?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                            Would have put that down to poor training surely?
                            More a lack of confidence and steel. It was the days of the 3 mile limit. Just go out and do as laid down in the SO. Many thought it was their annual paid holiday and that was it, later to be rebuilt on paper. Better procedure is a fully mentored operation with strong oversight.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

                              More a lack of confidence and steel. It was the days of the 3 mile limit. Just go out and do as laid down in the SO. Many thought it was their annual paid holiday and that was it, later to be rebuilt on paper. Better procedure is a fully mentored operation with strong oversight.
                              Whoever thought that was a good idea needed to seriously re-evaluate their choices in life.
                              I picture in my head the old BBC radio Comedy "The Navy lark" only with Irish accents.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

                                Whoever thought that was a good idea needed to seriously re-evaluate their choices in life.
                                I picture in my head the old BBC radio Comedy "The Navy lark" only with Irish accents.
                                I've seen both sides, and sometimes on the same four-day tacex. An RDF Lt and his mate the Sgt taking the FFR off to get ice-creams and takeaways for themselves while the rest of the pltn laboured away on building an FOB, and an RDF Sgt down from the School step in and take a direct hand to get things back on track. I'm a big fan of what happened when the US military needed to stand up reservist units prior to the Gulf War - start firing people until you get rid of the dead weight (****er 1 and ****er 2 in the story above were of course caught skiiving off by the PDF but suffered no consequences, which was the wrong move).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X