The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post

Thanks for that, are in each formation or central somewhere?
    I assume there was a breakdown given by Bde etc but there was definitely 200-300 (can’t remember now) made available before the start of the competition

Comment

• Each formation has a senior RLO that can and should answer all those questions ( which go from the local RLO to the Senior RLO ) . I had the same questions myself for our locale and they were immediately answered via that chain.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Some chains work and some don't. Hopefully not the latter.
        Last edited by batterysgt; 28 April 2022, 08:43.

Comment

• RDF can now legally serve overseas

The electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB) comprises the Acts of the Oireachtas (Parliament), Statutory Instruments, Legislation Directory, Constitution and a limited number of pre-1922 Acts.

Comment

• That is good news, the act is finally commenced. There must be someone in the Department driving this through. I am unaware of any info on this at all

Comment

• elephant's back to no-one's surprise

Comment

• Que??

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  elephant's back to no-one's surprise
                  R5 ?

Comment

• r5 no lol , we've survived for 17 years with that essentially unchanged , its not blocking anything serious, should it be change, yes, maybe but a million other things are more important

Comment

• no we are back to being mucked up by medicals after all the repeated assurances it was fixed

Comment

no we are back to being mucked up by medicals after all the repeated assurances it was fixed
                        grrrrrrrrrrrr...........
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

no we are back to being mucked up by medicals after all the repeated assurances it was fixed
                          The 250 medicals that were guaranteed ?

have they all been used up?

Comment

• Starting to feel like the Reserve in it's current incarnation is doomed now. The latest recruitment campaign was the last real chance to bolster numbers, if it's failing, the Reserve will fail. I'm close to the 21 year bar, I'm starting to think once I have it, it's time to pack it in.
                            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                              Starting to feel like the Reserve in it's current incarnation is doomed now. The latest recruitment campaign was the last real chance to bolster numbers, if it's failing, the Reserve will fail. I'm close to the 21 year bar, I'm starting to think once I have it, it's time to pack it in.
                              Almost 11 years ago now, I had the same thought, watching the organisation die in front of me. I got out before the last round of reorganisations. As did many others. Not all the tea drinkers though, some of them still serve and manage to get their face in for any PR opportunity.
                              Oddly, the same discussion was being had with regard to the Naval service (by some who should know better).
                              • "Why do the Navy need new ships? It can't crew what it has?
                              • Future proofing
                              • But you have three ships sitting idle
                              • They are awaiting replacement.
                              • Why hang on to them then?
                              • Once they go we'll never get the establishment of 9 ships back
                              • But you only have staff for 5?
                              • We do now. In 5, 10 15 years time things may be different. We must plan for the future, not today. We're pushing for an establishment of 12 ships, double crewed.
                              • But you can't crew what you have..."
                              The reserve had no capacity for surge recruitment. It's relocation to main barracks (and oddly, Tralee) removed in one go any chance of having a wide pool to recruit from.
                              In my mind the 2005 reorg was never let work. The Establishment of the reserve was reduced to reflect the realistic strength, the old strength found mostly to be a work of fiction, back when showing proof of life at least once a year was enough to keep you on the active list.
                              While the 2005 reorg wasn't perfect (Supernumeraries) it did provide a template for units to get up to strength and provide a useful support to the PDF through the integrated reserve. But in the stroke of a pen within less than a decade it was all consigned to the bin, and the members fobbed off with magic beans in the form of a black beret.
                              The worst part is some of the Pre-RDFRIP training centres have lain idle all this time.

Maybe authorities have realised the recent change was a failed concept and after the lucky bag is opened next month inside amongst the small print will be an RDF Reboot button.
                              I remain hopeful.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• The 250 medicals that were guaranteed ?

have they all been used up?
                                ha ... long gone

Comment

Working...
                                X