No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see the NSR are at it again, passing out recruits. We're they from the last campaign or how long are they in since their induction. Seem like the AR recruitment has ground to a halt.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
      I see the NSR are at it again, passing out recruits. We're they from the last campaign or how long are they in since their induction. Seem like the AR recruitment has ground to a halt.
      Anyone involved in the AR recruitment process will be able to identify the bottleneck that has developed, and unfortunately, it is one that is unlikely to be resolved any time soon.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• But I thought that this was all prearranged? Were there to many applicants or just poor planning again.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
          But I thought that this was all prearranged? Were there to many applicants or just poor planning again.
          What would your educated with experience of the DF guess be?

Comment

• There is a reservist on a course in the NATO School in Germany

Comment

• Issue Brown boots too :D well for some!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                Issue Brown boots too :D well for some!!
                Reward for arranging recruitment maybe, but all the same to see.
                Overseas courses are now being planned by DJ7 for funding and inclusion for TED, get your case in through CoC, Bn and Bde G7s for Reservists in your unit. Make sure its fully costed, flights, food etc. If your unit Officers don't make a submission call them out. The info is freely available on the Internet. The mould is broken, make sure they know by submitting real relevant cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                  Issue Brown boots too :D well for some!!
                  Look again. Those are Desert boots. Not standard issue ones.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Overseas courses are now being planned by DJ7 for funding and inclusion for TED, get your case in through CoC, Bn and Bde G7s for Reservists in your unit. Make sure its fully costed, flights, food etc. If your unit Officers don't make a submission call them out. The info is freely available on the Internet. The mould is broken, make sure they know by submitting real relevant cases.
                    its the other way round . What if you were phoned and told you were going on a 3 month residential in Mons ( or wherever) in 3 weeks time. take it or leave it, its the only vacancy in your corps speciality for the next 8 years. , the boss needs someone to fill it as the pdf lad in the frame has a sick baby ( or has to fill a slot in an overseas must-fill vacancy ). These are not jollies. The law says we can serve overseas but it also says we cant hold posts overseas so its always gonna be TDY
                    Last edited by trellheim; 19 June 2022, 14:51.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• OK don't put them in and wait for the call which may come for a very select few.
                      Put the paperwork in ffs, the pdf won't do it.

Comment

• For everyone : RDF recruiting will not stop , applying online on military.ie will continue to be available for the foreseeable. Tell your friends and relations !. If you want to join the best unit in the DF send me a PM and I'll hint. never mind the rest of these chancers.

Comment

• You are recruiting for the Naval Reserve now? The honkeys won't like that...
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• As the Deputy is aware, the primary roles allocated to the Reserve Defence Force (RDF) have thus far, been to augment the Permanent Defence Force (PDF) in crisis situations and to contribute to State ceremonial events.

Heretofore, there was no provision in the Defence Acts to allow RDF personnel to be deployed overseas. However, as the Deputy will be aware, the Defence (Amendment) Act 2021 has now been signed into law, which serves to update the Defence Legislation on the use of the RDF on a voluntary basis, on-island and overseas in support of the PDF and where it is in the best interests of the PDF.

I have written to the Chief of Staff seeking his advice on these matters as they pertain to the requirements of the PDF.

In tandem, the practical arrangements to implement the amendment, including all the elements associated with the voluntary service by RDF members overseas, are under active consideration by my officials and the military authorities. Furthermore, my officials will also be actively consulting with RDFRA, the Representative Association for the RDF on these matters at the appropriate juncture.

The outcome of these deliberations, and the advice of the Chief of Staff, will inform my consideration of these matters. The Deputy will appreciate therefore that I do not wish to comment further pending the outcome of this process.

Separately, and on foot of the enactment of the Defence (Amendment) Act 2021, I engaged with the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment (DETE) on the issue of employment protection for RDF members who might be engaged in such voluntary military service in support of the PDF going forward.

Engagement at official level with DETE has continued since then to consider the matter and identify appropriate next steps. This body of work is ongoing.

Finally, as the Deputy will also be aware, the Report of the Independent Commission on the Defence Forces, published in February of this year, includes proposals on the role and contribution of the RDF. There has been a process underway to consider the full set of recommendations in consultation with Ministerial colleagues and stakeholders. I intend to revert to Government with a proposed response and a high-level action plan in advance of the summer recess.

Comment

• David Stanton

Question:

118. Deputy David Stanton asked the Minister for Defence the number of recruits who have enlisted in the Reserve Defence Forces in 2022; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [34044/22]
                              View answer
                              Written answers (Question to Defence)

Minister for Defence

The Government remains absolutely committed to the advancement of the RDF. The White Paper on Defence is clear that there is a continued requirement to retain and develop the RDF and confirms that its primary role is to augment the Permanent Defence Force (PDF) in crisis situations.

While the commitment to restoring the strength of the RDF is not in doubt, the same personnel and resources are utilised for both PDF and RDF recruitment. Given the competing recruitment demands at present, PDF recruitment is, and will remain a priority. However, RDF recruitment will continue to be progressed to the greatest extent possible.

I should add that the ability to conduct RDF inductions during 2021 was severely impacted by the COVID-19 public health pandemic. Nevertheless, 41 new members were inducted during 2021. A recruitment drive for the RDF was launched earlier this year and, as at 22 June, 37 additional new members have been inducted thus far in 2022.

The Deputy will be aware that the Report of the Commission on the Defence Forces, published last January, contains many detailed recommendations, including on the future structure and role of the RDF.

The process to consider the full set of recommendations in the Report, in consultation with Ministerial colleagues and stakeholders is almost completed and I intend, before the Summer recess, , to bring to Government, significant proposals encompassed in a high-level action plan.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• No mention of the RDF in the ministers brief to cabinet last Tuesday, on CoDF, just PDF going to DAA. Is that the real LOA...

Comment

Working...
                                X