The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by danno View Post
    Given the content of recent postings should this thread be renamed The failure of the army reserve.
    Nope. There is no point talking pie in the sky. If you can't identify the true problems you can't even start to fix them. That is assuming you want to fix it.

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
    What I was sayin gis that it leads to a better quality of instructing,
    No it doesn't . PP is a tool it highlights.
    A shyte inst will look worse trying to use PP.
    I don't know where in the food chain you are but you are talking like someone that never taught a class.

I am pointing out that there are the older generation that don't use because they don't know how
    or they feel they need to in order to deliver what they have to.
    I can think of one such person.

And that is why people leave - standard instruction at times is poor.
    Ok I can agree with that.
    But there is a difference between those that feel they are learning nothing and those that are been taught nothing.
    People that think they should be doing things beyond the level they are at??
    People that feel they are been held back by those they are training with.
    People that moved forward before they are ready because the rest of their class is moving on.

I have seen many examples of poor training.
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• I have served in the FCA 30 years and now the Army Reserve for 5 years and I love the friendship I have made over those years but I have a bad feeling on how the RDF is going to be decimated after the budget.
      The AR/NR (RDF) will probably have no camps or any shoots or shooting comps next year,we will die on our feet. If there are barrack closures then non occupied posts and their units will be stood down.
      I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT AM I?

Comment

• I fully expect the entire DF budget to take a hit in the coming Budget.

The original budget cut was €3bn, now the talk is €4-4.5bn.

APWT does not cost much as there are no wages, just the cost of the ammo, fuel, a couple of hotlocks and a few other odds and ends. Years ago I was on the range and had to bring to bring our own food, a flask and a sambo or two. The committed will always turn up.

Very small beer in a very small portion of the entire DF budget.

If the RDF was to survive the budget with 7 days FTT it would be a good outcome. Anything over and above that would be a bonus.

I can't see the RDF being closed down. Even if it was the savings would be small in the overall budget. As we are now fully dependent on Europe to keep the country going we may have to start adopting the European approach of running down permanent forces and building up reserve forces.

In 1988 the Pots course in the West was run as 3 weekends, unpaid, and 1 week FTT. Courses could go that way in the future. That would test committment.

Also the RDF money is taxed at source now.

A real issue might be for Units located outside a PDF bks. Savings maybe looked for from these areas and there are large areas with no PDF bks for miles and miles. Closure of these locations would be a big hit to the RDF while delivering little savings in the context of the entire DF budget.

In order to get a substantial saving in the DF budget a big reduction in PDF numbers would be required, something on the lines of 3 Bde to 2 Bde and more closures.

I have detailed the PDF priorties earlier and the RDF are not on the radar.
        I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
        Who is number 1?

Comment

• Between wear & tear on vehicles and weapons etc you would be suprised how much a trip to the range cost x min 4 annually x y units.

If they want a capable reserve the RDF needs min 14 days end of!

As we are now fully dependent on Europe to keep the country going
          They aren't and hoping not to be!

In 1988 the Pots course in the West was run as 3 weekends, unpaid, and 1 week FTT. Courses could go that way in the future. That would test committment.
          Except the standard is now expected is now higher!

A real issue might be for Units located outside a PDF bks. Savings maybe looked for from these areas and there are large areas with no PDF bks for miles and miles. Closure of these locations would be a big hit to the RDF while delivering little savings in the context of the entire DF budget.
          yes and no, a large percentage of people would be with these units.... it is the cadre that is expensive and that eat up most of the RDF budget!

Originally posted by SwiftandSure
          I think the problem is not whether or not the instructor has the right visual aides to present their lesson
          I seem lessons on Powerpoint that are supposed to be practical, in some cases it is unavoidable within resources available but if you are teaching Target Indications the vast majority of the lesson should be the practical end of it.

but the problem is that the instructors lack the operational experience that gives their students a sense of credibility in their instructor. Therefore NCO's seek to add more weight to the presentation of the lesson rather than focus on actively engaging with the students. I tend to find many (not all) lessons in the RDF can merely be a recital of the manual for the sole purpose of blindly transmitting the lesson without actually confriming that it's been recieved.
          Combat incentive is what is required, eg you will be using this on the Unit Assessments or on an Ex etc, troops aren't interested in many cases because they don't know why they are doing it.

The manual is god (in conjuction with TCs, TIs and TSs) if you aren't following these and teaching something else, that is a bad instruction.... these documents set the standard!

In my basic training in the regular army, all my instructors had a wealth of operational experience between them from Kosovo, Bosnia, and the first Gulf War. So we as recruits would hang on their every word, because when they told us to do something, we knew they were imparting their wisdom for a reason, and it could only be of benefit to us. I would say it was also true that when giving a lesson, it's much easier to revert back to experience than it is to the manual.
          I see your arguement, but I'd say it is more to do with the fact that you could be asked to do these things operationally in a warzone in a couple of months, rather than on an ex once in a blue moon.

This wouldn't be true for the CSS units. Take LSB for example. When they exercise, their experience gained on exercise is as good as it would be on operations. Because more often than not they are solely responsible for the outcome of their missions and are in more control of the variables. Therefore, I'd picture Luchi to be quite a good instructor, because he would have had years of experience organising logistics and running convoys for example, and would be able to impart that wisdom without much referral to the manual.

The same can't be said for the infantry units.
          Because the corps units will do it "operationally" ie do a convoy to Lahinch from Dublin, set up a COMCEN for a ex, set up a MGB for the Ploughing Competitions, the infantry will do an exercise.

How does this tie in with the future of the RDF? Well I'm of the opinion that in order to have a better functioning RDF, in lieu of overseas service, there needs to be more realistic and more challenging exercises, and not just have them as the preserve of POTs/Standards/YOs courses. NCOs need to know how to work with troops on the ground less experienced than them, inspire them and get them up to speed. Without that, we're never going to really test the mettle of our NCOs who in turn won't gain the experience from working on their own initiative and then be able to pass that credible experience down to the next generation of troops.
          Correct, the recruit and 2* courses need to be treated for what they are ... career courses (the same as the courses you mentioned).

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            because doing so for any DF member is specifically against regulations. You're not stopped talking to a TD, just not DF-Related issues.
            Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Only when subject to military law.
            Exactly DeV, and as reservists your not always subject to military law.
            RDFRA dont represent the majority of reservists so getting on to TD's is possibly the only way we can save this ship for going down.
            WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

• If however your girlfriend/wife/significant other decides to contact your TD complaining about what she sees as a problem with the rdf, thats ok.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                If however your girlfriend/wife/significant other decides to contact your TD complaining about what she sees as a problem with the rdf, thats ok.
                Please don't say that too loud.
                If my wife would have us shut down if she thought she could!!!

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• Kermit is correct. Forbidden under R5 for a good reason.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• If my wife would have us shut down if she thought she could!!!

I remember it well , that she thought I was spending more time with The FCA than I was at home looking after the kids....given the kids have grown up into nice people, maybe. its better that I did spend so much time away.

troops aren't interested in many cases because they don't know why they are doing it.
                    Very valid point. Many NCOs and officers are so busy trying to make themselves look good and overlook they need to lead.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Very valid point. Many NCOs and officers are so busy trying to make themselves look good and overlook they need to lead.
                      and to look good they need to pass the numbers which IMHO is only a contribuatry factor.

Telling a guy that he needs to do x because of y is all well and good but if the instructor does not see it sink in then whats the use.

No offence S&S but I've seen lads hang on the word of PDF guys because they have the experience etc. They can be heard idolising the PDF and wanting to be just like them. Nothing wrong with that until you see that when it comes to applying the subject of the lesson all the class remembers a story, the point of which they missed because they were too busy idolising the teller.

There is always going to be good and not so good insturction. Even some good instructors can give bad instruction but it dosen't matter if the student has no goal.

Your gaol (S&S)as a recruit was to be a soldier in the service to .....blah, blah.(OK I don't know why but it is not relevant)
                      Lads in Tpt Coy have a goal to get to drive big trucks.
                      Arty lads might have a goal to fire a big gun.

These are achievable goals but what are the inf goals?
                      To serve along side the PDF over seas - not likely
                      To serve along side the PDF at home - less likely
                      great aspirations and that what lads think when they arrive at the gate. Their illusions ar every soon dashed.

I don't know what promises are made by recruitment officers but if they are not been kept lads just walk away and who can blame them?

As I keep asking what has the RDF to offer the young blood?
                      The future of the RDF depends on them (not the ould farts like me) so they need something to work for, a purpose to do what they do other than the craic in the mess.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

• Everone missed the point I made regarding PPT. Certain topics are best covered using it, and other things at a practical end.

All I am saying is that it works better for ceratin topics. But there are instructors that won't use and can't use it, and aren't bothered learning to use it. And the standard of the lesson falls by the wayside because they try and round it off the top of their head, and a lot of the time its wrong or misinformation.
                        Whereas if it was on PPT, it would all be there. That's the point I am making.

Luchi, hit the nail on the head there. We need to have the promises kept when we were recruits. Which doesn't happen.

And the goal of training lacks imagination at the best of times. There's a bigger picture to be looked at there too, but its still a problem.
                        The majority of the younger people leaving are leaving because we are used to better things, but the older generation seem to think that the way it was in their day is the way it should stay.
                        And the second point to that too is the school of thought that passing people for the sake of having numbers on the books. This is one of the main things killing the RDF.

The fault for passing people who don't make the grade lies with the senior ranks. Which means the notion of standards is nothing but a myth. Those who don't make the standard are simply passed out for the sake of it. Whereby, if it was a case of those not good enough don't pass - as is the case in any other walk of life or organisation- that should be the way. Unfortunately its not.
                        The fault for that lies with us. And by not having people grounded with a soild standard, it leads to a lower standard throughout the unit. Fault for this lies with the senior NCOs and officers who just want the numebrs in uniform so they look good.

Which as Dev pointed out is nonsense. The standards have improved, and so has the expectations placed on units too.

Comment

• As regards Powerpoint where are we to get the equipment and software?

Ok, I can bring in my laptop but what about the projector? Who will pay for it? Can't use Unit funds to purchase one or so the Cadre CQ told me. Can't buy anything at the moment.

Some units may have access to the necessary equipemnt but a lot won't.
                          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                          Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                            As regards Powerpoint where are we to get the equipment and software?

Ok, I can bring in my laptop but what about the projector? Who will pay for it? Can't use Unit funds to purchase one or so the Cadre CQ told me. Can't buy anything at the moment.

Plenty of units have bought projectors using unit funds....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post

We applied unit funds to buy a projector. It came in at €350 euro, it took over 16 months to get authorisation as it sat on someones desk for almost a year. Got it in the end.
                              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
                                Incorrect. RDF members are prohibited from communicating directly or indirectly with members of the Oireachtas or with officials or members of other public bodies on any military matter whether personal or otherwise, at any time.
                                Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                Kermit is correct. Forbidden under R5 for a good reason.
                                DFR R5 is a military regulation/law, members of the RDF are only subject to DFR R5 under the conditions outlined in Sections 118 & 119 of the Defence Acts. It says "Permanent Defence Force at all times"... it doesn't say that after Reserve Defence Force.

Having said that I wouldn't be advicing people to try it!

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
                                Everone missed the point I made regarding PPT. Certain topics are best covered using it, and other things at a practical end.
                                The vast majority of the lessons on the recruit & 2* syllabii do not!

The majority of the younger people leaving are leaving because we are used to better things, but the older generation seem to think that the way it was in their day is the way it should stay.
                                And the second point to that too is the school of thought that passing people for the sake of having numbers on the books. This is one of the main things killing the RDF.
                                Speaking for my own coy, if they don't pass the tests they don't get upgraded, end of! The majority of people leave because of things being changed/cancelled at the last minute, poor communications and being f***ed about (not talking about discipline).

I've heard that a unit has got into trouble for upgrading people who haven't passed tests.

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post

At least 2 outlying centres were upgraded with IT (including projectors) in the last 2 years I don't think it came from Unit funds but they could be used.

Comment

Working...
                                X