The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    I'm in the Ennis/Limerick general area so I've got the NSR and two infantry companies to chose from. I've definitely more interest in the NSR but the AR may be more in line with the time commitments I can give (not much more than the two weeks FTT a year as well as weekends and evenings). I've a few contacts in the infantry side of things so I'm considering shopping around to see which is the best direction to go.

I'm 100% on the peaker being worn by an RDF officer. It looked like a local 1916 commemoration or such. I'm not going to post a photo due to probable small size of the RDF officer community above Captain. Maybe the officer was trying "sex up" his uniform a bit knowing that most at the event wouldn't notice the uniform embellishment and the rest would be subordinates so wouldn't raise as an issue anyway.
    They were ordered to wear peakers I think for 1916

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
    It was for a while but now it is closed again as far as I know.

Sorry your right. Just checked military.ie

Comment

• I'm not currently in the reserve but I was and from my perspective looking in - it seems to me that the PDF is trying to administratively kill off the reserves. Death by a thousand cuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
        They were ordered to wear peakers I think for 1916
        Correct, though the peaker issued was the equivalent Sgt major hat not the officer one. Afaik the officer one is purchased and made to measure for around €130.

Plenty went and bought them to look extra Gucci, money wasted.

Comment

• They may well get issued/authorised again for the WoI/CW centenary.

Comment

I'm not currently in the reserve but I was and from my perspective looking in - it seems to me that the PDF is trying to administratively kill off the reserves. Death by a thousand cuts.
            My own belief is not intentionally. The DF isn't aware of the impact of the decisions it makes and how difficult it will for the RDF to comply with them

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
              Correct, though the peaker issued was the equivalent Sgt major hat not the officer one. Afaik the officer one is purchased and made to measure for around €130.

Plenty went and bought them to look extra Gucci, money wasted.
              That's what uniform allowance is for

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                Trellheim did you get a copy of the thesis done by someone in your neck of the woods?

To paraphrase [...] In the opinion of a PDF Engineer officer, there are no tradesmen/plant operators in the RDF who are in Engineer units.
                Is that online? I have heard that there's at least a crane operator in the RDF engineers who gets used on PDF exercises.

Comment

• That's what uniform allowance is for
                  not for initial issue it isn't . Extras like that were a onceoff pay and claimback [ cf. the Sam Brownes ] or an issue basis.

That thesis is not online but I'm sure you can get a copy easy enough.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I'm sure someone here will have the knowledge. Was there any Army Reserve recruit training last year? I know the NSR equivalent didn't go ahead.

Comment

I'm sure someone here will have the knowledge. Was there any Army Reserve recruit training last year? I know the NSR equivalent didn't go ahead.
                      As far as I know yes

Comment

I'm sure someone here will have the knowledge. Was there any Army Reserve recruit training last year? I know the NSR equivalent didn't go ahead.
                        Yes
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Yes and there will be again this year.

Comment

• Sgt major of the US army throwibg out the love for Resere Infantry and their force multiplying civilian skills

For decades the Army has offered tuition assistance to soldiers who want to earn degrees, and now leadership is looking into how to translate that program to cover civilian credential training and certification for soldiers to study skills both in and out of their specialties.

Comment

• mm not convinced, BUT it does make me think the DF should have a big badge NCO ( 1 off . , serves the same time as the COS ) for the whole force with the right to speak it as he saw it ( for both PDF and RDF ) .

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                mm not convinced, BUT it does make me think the DF should have a big badge NCO ( 1 off . , serves the same time as the COS ) for the whole force with the right to speak it as he saw it ( for both PDF and RDF ) .
                                Been thinking the same thing.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X