The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    Reserves on front page of An Cosantoir this month.
    And the cover model won't shut up about how he's famous now...
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
      It's a great photo to be fair...

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
        Is this who you’re talking about?

Last edited by Flamingo; 31 August 2018, 11:48.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
          It's a great photo to be fair...
          I was there, he was running the wrong way
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• hypothetically if you could put your questions to senior officers what would you ask ?
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

hypothetically if you could put your questions to senior officers what would you ask ?
              I'd be asking about the grat. It's the only way to keep up retention for junior members. That and paid weekends and for parading. If they are serious about the DF, they have to make the investment. Considering how numbers have fallen, it's peanuts.

I know it's a voluntary organisation but it shouldn't be a net drain on finances or at least close to it.

Training opportunities etc is all well and good but money talks.

Comment

hypothetically if you could put your questions to senior officers what would you ask ?
                The British "Soldier" magazine has exactly this facility - a sort of "Mailbag", where serving soldiers can pose queries on their service, entitlements, kit, etc
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

How the fcuk did you ever get promoted is always a good icebreaker!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      "Who are you, you little sh--?" is a good reply

Comment

• Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                        "Who are you, you little sh--?" is a good reply
                        And then again.. can you not read..its on the name tag!!!!..How the fcuk did you ever get promoted....sir!
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Has anyone read the interesting article on renewing the RDF officer corps (seems to be more AR focused)? It seems that the prevailing idea is to extend being able to apply for a POC course to any applicant with a university degree at whatever rank.

This would be to counter the further depletion of JNCO ranks as they are the current primary source for officer candidates.

I'm not sure this would go down well with any Cpls that potentially wouldn't make it on course for a potential commission. Also, I'm not sure if I could see units considering promising 2*s as canidates or even those in recruit training! Exceptional 3*s maybe!

Outside the box thinking though.

Comment

• I haven’t seen the article or syllabus, but I would assume it is 3* minimum

Why wouldn’t a corporal make the course?

Comment

• Cpl X doesn't hold a degree....Pte Y does.....Pte gets the course on the suggested entry requirements.
                              An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                                Cpl X doesn't hold a degree....Pte Y does.....Pte gets the course on the suggested entry requirements.
                                A private holding a degree merely makes them eligible for interview for a board (of I think it is 4 PDF & RDF Officers) convened by COS

Comment

Working...
                                X