The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
    BUT the prerequisites state that you must have your TOETs done.

Training syllabi usually state that Students should arrive on courses with their abs 220 stating that they have their TOETs done by their unit when they may NEVER have done them.
    Training syllabi also state what is to be done on a course and it normally does not state that you can do TOETs with a student and RTU them for failing. Your Std NCOs cse was run incorrectly if you were put through TOETs and anyone who was failed has a redress.

I agree: it should be done, but it isn't and cannot be. We can't even get the Syllabus right.
    It can if it is on the syllabus that there will be pass/Fail tests on arrival

I have to completely disagree - if the 2013 reorg was anything to go by, you put in the work and you get shafted. Having a course done in the DFTC seemed to be a big black mark against you when it came to handing out appointments. I saw a lot of good guys and girls screwed over and left to rot. And those who spent their time in the mess or the canteen kissing the CO's & CS's arses came out on top smelling of roses.

Can you remember how long it took for the DFTC to get students back on courses after that?!! I remember 2014 as being the year when no one, and I mean NO ONE, would do a DFTC course as it mean you wanted to commit career suicide. 2014 was the year when you trained with your sub-unit, spent all your time in the mess, laughed at the COs and CSs awful jokes and hoped that you would be thrown a crumb or 2 from the top table.

A lot of the best people could not take it anymore and left. People were screwed over in 2005. They fought back and got back into the organisation through hard work and determination. And got screwed over again in 2013. I know many of them and it absolutely broke their hearts and souls.
    Where I was thankfully it wasn’t my experience

But In a particular Bde absolutely yes people who had emigrated go assignments and people who were active were supernumerary/posted out of Bde.

How did people apply for assignments when the units in that Bde weren’t parading? How did they get the briefs?

It came down to poor (in some cases very questionable) admin for years previously.

Comment

• It came down to poor (in some cases very questionable) admin for years previously.

Still happens in some units.

Comment

• Our reassignment process involved getting a brief, a copy of CS4 and the form. Sign and return.

All ranks then had a special annual report done (in person) with unit (PDF) Admin Offr

Assignments were subsequently notified

Comment

• Back to recruitment for a minute.

Minister’s answers in the Dail today say:
          2018 - 142 attestations to AR & NSR
          2019 - 144 attestations to AR & NSR
          2020 so far - 57 AR & 6 NSR attestations

As at end of August,
          AR effective strength 1501 - establishment 3869
          NSR effective strength 123 - establishment 200

With those figures it definitely makes sense to centralise AR recruit training at Bde level (there would be easily manageable numbers (Accomodiation and logs wise), easier for travel, etc).

Comment

• Do you have a link for his reply

Comment

• Ceisteanna Eile - Other Questions Dáil Éireann debate - Thursday, 8 Oct 2020

Comment

• Here's another option. As a cost-saving measure the US Army had to reduce the size of its command staffs. When a unit normally doesn't run field operations 24x7 all year, but generally works business hours only until deployment or on exercise, it's a bit of a waste of money to have the other shifts of the command posts. When the unit gets deployed on operation or large maneuvers, assigned reservists get called in to fill in the mirror positions on the night shift or whenever. I've just been assigned to such a staff, the 1st Armored division HQ.
                Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

• Looking at the numbers actually

Say 144 a year. 2 intakes a year that is 94 per intake. Say NSR get 8 and DFTC gets 20. Leaving the 2 Bdes with a platoon each.

Therefore I now advocate for change.

Units should continue to recruit (as in activities to encourage people to join) and people would still apply for a unit.

However the complete recruitment process must be managed by an RDF cell within Bde Manpower. With the size of the Bdes it does make sense to PT tests and interviews (and later medicals) take place regionally (eg Kilkenny, Cork, Limerick, Curragh, Dublin, Athlone and Finner/Galway). They could look at where the applications are from to do that and/or transport by units could be arranged.

They would be attested and clothed at Bde level (units to provide transport) within max 9 weeks of close of competition. There first weekend would follow immediately (at Cork, Curragh, Dublin/Athlone).

Personally I would say BTC should be the conducting unit but that may not be viable. All Bde units must provide Instrs and they must have completed SIC2 and a pre course orientation (1 weekend). The course would commence immediately with the required amount of training weekends. On completion of FTT and passing out they then commence 2-3* training (strong case to be made for it following a similar model).

The question is how do they affiliate to the local unit that they applied to join?

Case to be made for allowing all to parade with their local unit when not at Bde level training (while in some cases stopping the unit undoing the good work)?

Comment

• I thought the syllabus allowed for training nights at local level, if it is then they must to complete the training. Sounds like a good plan. Do you think it's something rdfra can run with?

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                      I thought the syllabus allowed for training nights at local level, if it is then they must to complete the training. Sounds like a good plan. Do you think it's something rdfra can run with?
                      It does say x amount of training nights must be completed. A revised syllabus would be required in order to stop Bdes/units doing their own thing.

It is outside of RDFRA’s remit

If units want recruits then they should be pushing for it.

Comment

• RDFRA can only agitate for those things they are allowed to. Since it has been some time I'll post them here again from S7

SECOND SCHEDULE - SCOPE OF REPRESENTATION

A. Remuneration under the following headings:-

(a) matters relating to

- pay,
                        - allowances, and
                        - gratuities,

payable to members of the Army Reserve and the Naval Service Reserve;

(b) the administration of pay, allowances and gratuities;

(c) deductions from pay in respect of accommodation, rations and welfare services;

B. Other Conditions of Service and Career Development
                        under the following headings:-

(d) criteria governing the entry of personnel into the Army Reserve and the Naval Service Reserve, other than the number of such personnel;

(e) changes in systems of performance appraisal;

(f) systems and general criteria governing promotion;

(g) medical and dental benefits provided by the Department of Defence for members of the Army Reserve and the Naval Service Reserve following accidents arising out of their duties;

(h) standards of training accommodation officially provided;

(i) procedures for dealing with redress of wrongs and grievances;

(j) the question of the provision of legal representation for members of the Army Reserve and the Naval Service Reserve against whom legal proceedings have been instituted arising out of their duties;

(k) the application of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 1989 to 2005;

(l) the question of the recognition by outside bodies of training and qualifications gained in service;

(m) changes in retirement ages and the procedures regarding voluntary retirement, resignation or discharge;

(n) the application to members of the Army Reserve and the Naval Service Reserve of legislation which affects matters coming within the scope of representation;

(o) (1) amendments to the Defence Acts, 1954 to 2006,

(2) amendments to Defence Force Regulations,

(3) amendments to General Routine Orders, and

(4) implementation of reports,

which come within the scope of representation;

(p) clothing and items of personal equipment (other than weapons);

C. Association Affairs under the following headings:-

(q) the principles governing the conduct of the Association's affairs and the manner in which members would best be represented;

(r) any of the provisions of these regulations and/or of the constitution and rules to be approved, ratified and adopted under paragraph 14; and

(s) any other matter which the Minister may specify following consultation with the Association.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• pqs for answer today lol

*237. To ask the Minister for Defence the number of Army Reserve officers that were
                          commissioned after 1 October 2005 that have attained the rank of captain; and if he will make a
                          statement on the matter. — Brendan Smith. [36081/20]
                          *238. To ask the Minister for Defence if the provisions of paragraph 31(1) of Defence Forces
                          Regulation R5 have ever been used to promote an Army Reserve officer commissioned after 1
                          October 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Brendan Smith. [36082/20]
                          someone's got the hump obviously.

fyi 31 (1) just says the minister can promote officers so it looks like they got the para wrong.,

( sorry linky https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireac...r-thurs_en.pdf)
                          Last edited by trellheim; 12 November 2020, 18:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            pqs for answer today lol

someone's got the hump obviously.

fyi 31 (1) just says the minister can promote officers so it looks like they got the para wrong.,

( sorry linky https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireac...r-thurs_en.pdf)
                            Is it not the fact that there is obviously a typo in R5 Para 31 ?

31(2) allows those “commissioned on or before 01 October 2005” to be promoted to Captain
                            31(4) allows those “commissioned on or before 01 October 2005” to be promoted to Captain

My bold

Comment

• no its correct 31(2) and 31(4) are fixed term promotions. Only thing I can think of is someone got the 3rd pip and someone else is not happy about it

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                no its correct 31(2) and 31(4) are fixed term promotions. Only thing I can think of is someone got the 3rd pip and someone else is not happy about it
                                Whatever about the reason for the PQ

Para 31 appears to be (2) fixed term promotions (as they can be supernumerary and there is no board)
                                (4) eligibility for promotion Competitions (as they cannot be held supernumerary and there is an interview board)

Especially when read in conjunction with Admin Inst R5

Admin Inst R5, however, doesn’t make the distinction of those commissioned on or before 1 Oct 2005 (that (4) does)

Comment

Working...
                                X