The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but there is no definition of “supplemental military service”

It also looks as if the request has to come from the Minister with a proscribed about of days offered which you then apply to do

Comment

• Also looks to be restricted to overseas for peace keeping only

Comment

• Look harder - supplemental is defined
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Also looks to be restricted to overseas for peace keeping only
          My reading is that that section of the act also relates to PDF members. RDF members simply getting added to that section.

Comment

• That part of the act is for the smaller mission deployments see http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2.../en/print#sec3

the amendment if passed allows all the listed points except (a)

Comment

• You've far more knowledge here trellheim but will this require further changes to DF regulations to implement in practice?

Like if this amendment to the act was stretched to its limit and a reservist joined a UN deployment for the full duration, should they also be paid MSA whilst in permanent service?

I'm sure there are further nuts and bolts that need to be rearranged and tightened to implement the enabling legislation here.

Comment

• RDF members simply getting added to that section.
                No. See Amendment 15 last line.

Comment

• Like if this amendment to the act was stretched to its limit and a reservist joined a UN deployment for the full duration, should they also be paid MSA whilst in permanent service?

I'm sure there are further nuts and bolts that need to be rearranged and tightened to implement the enabling legislation here.
                  the answer here is that what is being passed is primary legislation to allow RDF serve outside the State and State ships legally. Since the 1954 and 2006 acts do not allow RDF to serve there is no legal basis for them to do so - this provides that by means of an Act of the Oireachtas

Pay and conditions of service are normally dealt with through Regulations which the minister issues (e.g. S3, R5) and orders where relevant are issued by the chain of command

Comment

• So how have we managed up to now?
                    The handful of occasions when members of the Army Reserve have been overseas, while in uniform, what was the situation?
                    Equally, the more numerous times the NS has visited overseas ports with members of the Naval Reserve as part of their crew? (There was definitely one occasion when the reservists Spanish language skills were a vital asset)
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post

the answer here is that what is being passed is primary legislation to allow RDF serve outside the State and State ships legally. Since the 1954 and 2006 acts do not allow RDF to serve there is no legal basis for them to do so - this provides that by means of an Act of the Oireachtas

Pay and conditions of service are normally dealt with through Regulations which the minister issues (e.g. S3, R5) and orders where relevant are issued by the chain of command
                      That's my point. I understand the enabling impact of the legislation but my understanding here is that RDF serving overseas still won't be practicable until the regulations are in place. It may prompt the long required overhaul of R5. It'll have to be tackled to implement the above.

Comment

• No - not really it will be nice to have but in all seriousness someone could go immediately and wear a uniform to a conference for example in Brussels

Comment

• I stand corrected

Comment

• No - not really it will be nice to have but in all seriousness someone could go immediately and wear a uniform to a conference for example in Brussels
                            theres no employment protection for example - no-one was brave enough to add in the emergency RDF job protection legislation provisions from the last year,.

This seems really aimed at Doctors at first glance also I think the PDF RA's might have had a glance

Comment

• going through Dail this afternoon

Comment

• The purpose of the Defence (Amendment) Bill 2020 is to make a number of miscellaneous amendments to the Defence Act to update certain provisions in order to better reflect the current operational practices of the Defence Forces.

The principal issues dealt with by this legislation relate to overseas operations as well as removing provisions in the Defence Act relating to the enlistment of minors.

In addition, the opportunity has been taken to make a number of other minor amendments to the Defence Act.

I gave an undertaking during the Committee Stage debate that I would introduce Report Stage amendments to enable the Reserve Defence Force to be deployed in support of the Permanent Defence Force at home and overseas.

I received Government approval for the drafting of amendments to the Bill on that basis.

The drafting of the amendments concluded recently and the Report Stage debate is scheduled to proceed tomorrow evening (30 June 2021).

While not wishing to pre-empt the Report Stage debate, I can say that the Report Stage amendments will enhance the role of the Reserve Defence Force by removing the current legislative restrictions within the Defence Acts on the activities it performs including the restriction on serving overseas.
                                Legislative Programme Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 29 June 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X