No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the future I'm talking about. The rdf should be commanded by an rdf BG, who sits on the GS and report to COS (what ever the new name will be). Should be based on other European models, as a local forces. Anyway the SOs we got during the re-org have really done lots since 2012 and have done a great job replacing the 1000's we lost, so a few could move up.

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
      Why not, if they can be Col they can be a BG. Very simple to do.
      Currently they can’t …. There are Lt Cols

Comment

It's the future I'm talking about. The rdf should be commanded by an rdf BG, who sits on the GS and report to COS (what ever the new name will be). Should be based on other European models, as a local forces. Anyway the SOs we got during the re-org have really done lots since 2012 and have done a great job replacing the 1000's we lost, so a few could move up.
        in fairness a lot of things have been progressed since 2005….. unfortunately for those in those appointments they are staff officers and don’t have command (only GOCs & FOCNS has that power)

there has been massive progress on some issues, the problem is scaling it DF wide, availability of personnel etc

the future of the RDF could go back to being a very locally based force (disintegrated I’d call it) but that means less access to good training, weapons etc

imho that is not the right route for Ireland, unless they are going to allow companies to have weapons in coy locations and to be very much a militia type organisation…. Which isn’t imho what we need

we face similar but different threats to Eastern Europe, an all out invasion of Ireland is extremely unlikely. Seizure of day Shannon Airport would be the most likely (but still unlikely)…. The main and most dangerous threats are hybrid

Comment

• The rdf should be commanded by an rdf BG
          what a massive step backward that would be . the LDF and FCA are gone.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• And what has happened has been a huge step forward!

Comment

And what has happened has been a huge step forward!
              Bad (and not uniform nationwide) implementation

Comment

• The RDF has taken giant steps forward and the doors to overseas are both open and being beckoned through.

IN terms of kit, logs everything is same same as PDF

In terms of numbers the RDF can NOT solve it ourselves as the barriers are outside our control ( medicals being the obvious one )

Comment

• The RDF BG needs to be a full time position in order to make the necessary changes to make the reserve more effective.
                  I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

• I fail to see what the difference between a full Colonel and a BG would make

Comment

• Defence Forces Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 18 October 2022

The Reserve Defence Force (RDF) is comprised of the First Line Reserve, the Army Reserve (AR) and the Naval Service Reserve (NSR). The Government remains absolutely committed to the advancement of the RDF. The White Paper on Defence is quite clear that there is a continued requirement to retain and develop the Reserve and the Government remains fully committed to this.

The strength of the Reserve Defence Force, as of 31 July 2022, is set out below:
                      Service Total Effective Personnel
                      Army Reserve 1,390
                      Naval Reserve 101
                      First Line Reserve 276
                      The Deputy will be aware that the Report of the Commission on the Defence Forces,

Comment

• Defence Forces Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 18 October 2022

Comment

• The Director of Reserve Affairs will be an OF-5, not an OF-6. It will be a PDF appointment.

Comment

• And AR Col as EO. Someone to shift blame on when it all goes pete thong.

Comment

• Oh sorry its has, with OF 4 as SOs so promotion due.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...18/394/#pq_394

The Reserve Defence Force (RDF) is comprised of the First Line Reserve, the Army Reserve (AR) and the Naval Service Reserve (NSR). The Government remains absolutely committed to the advancement of the RDF. The White Paper on Defence is quite clear that there is a continued requirement to retain and develop the Reserve and the Government remains fully committed to this.

The strength of the Reserve Defence Force, as of 31 July 2022, is set out below:
                                Service Total Effective Personnel
                                Army Reserve 1,390
                                Naval Reserve 101
                                First Line Reserve 276
                                The Deputy will be aware that the Report of the Commission on the Defence Forces,
                                As noone was put non-effective while covid was in play, I suspect that those figures are somewhat optimistic.
                                A better estimate would be to ask the pay section how many RDF personnel were paid in 2022.
                                Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Working...
                                X