• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am betting 600-700 pers if RDFRA days are excluded
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• There are currently 4 out 5 Lt Cols , one spot has been empty for ages due reasons
      lots of need for comdts promotions
      lots of need for capts promotions
      need for BSM promotion
      lots of need for CQ promotion

^^^^ the absolute refusal of the DOD to sanction promotions on what is a silly unrealistic FTE comparison has always amazed me
      Last edited by trellheim; 21 October 2022, 11:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
        The RDF BG needs to be a full time position in order to make the necessary changes to make the reserve more effective.
        In my opinion the highest ranking RDF officer should be the executive officer of reserve affairs and be a full time position. OF-5, again in my opinion.

In saying that, it is questionable whether any RDF officer would have the experience or background for such a role.

Other western countries have high ranking reserve officers in positions of responsibility but they usually have significant amounts of military education behind them as extensive periods of full time reserve service.

I think ground work would need to be laid by offering RDF officers periods of one or two years full time service in a staff role. That would provide the requisite professional development.

I know I'm going to be told that such a practice wouldn't be fair and that many can't leave their jobs, take long term leave or are self employed but that's what reserve officers in other countries have to do to develop.

Comment

• A good point. Mind you, reserve officers in a lot of other armies, by the time they reach senior rank, are either ex-reg or have been called up and deployed a few times (at least in the past 20-30 years that has been the case). They have had a chance to see the elephant. The Chieftain touched on what's involved in his most recent Q&A.
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Got a link ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              A good point. Mind you, reserve officers in a lot of other armies, by the time they reach senior rank, are either ex-reg or have been called up and deployed a few times (at least in the past 20-30 years that has been the case). They have had a chance to see the elephant. The Chieftain touched on what's involved in his most recent Q&A.
              He's mentioned the promotion process in a few of his recent Q&As actually. Seemed to be a lot of hoops to jump through and don't forget he's had service in Iraq and elsewhere. He also mentioned a Master’s degree requirement but I can't recall if that was for promotion to Lt Col or Col. Also layers of paperwork and approvals in getting any promotions at the state level for the National Guard getting confirmed at the federal level. We're not the only ones with reams of bureaucracy!

Flamingo, do you mind me asking if you were/are regular army or reserve?

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

He's mentioned the promotion process in a few of his recent Q&As actually. Seemed to be a lot of hoops to jump through and don't forget he's had service in Iraq and elsewhere. He also mentioned a Master’s degree requirement but I can't recall if that was for promotion to Lt Col or Col. Also layers of paperwork and approvals in getting any promotions at the state level for the National Guard getting confirmed at the federal level. We're not the only ones with reams of bureaucracy!

No problem. I was TA RAMC for 10 years, rising to the dizzy heights of L/Cpl. (1990-2001. I wasn’t called up for GW 1, and was out by the time of GW 2
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

And in many countries their reservists are:

(a) former conscripts (often regularly being called up for annual training)

(b) required to do exactly the same course as their regular equivalent (not many RDF Comdts could take almost a year out of work to do the Joint Command & Staff Cse required for promotion to Lt Col)

Comment

• JC&S for Comdt

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

And in many countries their reservists are:

(a) former conscripts (often regularly being called up for annual training)

(b) required to do exactly the same course as their regular equivalent (not many RDF Comdts could take almost a year out of work to do the Joint Command & Staff Cse required for promotion to Lt Col)
                      In the US which is really the gold standard, a distance learning version of the command and general staff exists for reservists which has much of its content modulised. Some time required on site. I can't speak for how the Brits do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        JC&S for Comdt
                        That was when it was Junior C&S (Capt-Comdt) and Senior C&S (Comdt-Lt Col)

It’s now Land C&S (Capt-Comdt) and Joint C&S (Comdt-Lt Col)

Comment

• There are very few Reservists which are really committing now

Comment

• Originally posted by batterysgt View Post
                            There are very few Reservists which are really committing now
                            There are many that would/could a lot….. and aren’t let or ever single possible obstacle is put in the way

if have and will continue to lose some of the best (human) assets because of the way we (the “defence organisation”) treat people

And that doesn’t just apply to RDF

Comment

• I know that, given the best part of my adult life to it fulltime and the last years to rdf. But it still seems that tea drinkers are still plentiful. I don't think the rdf will survive as is. Just hope that it can take a better, more meaningful form that will really integrate and assist the pdf properly

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                JC&S for Comdt
                                It used to be. Now they have decided that JC&S stands for Joint Command & Staff which is the current iteration of the Senior C&S Course. The old JC&S is now called the LCSC. It is all very confusing but implementing change always looks great on an AF451

Comment

Working...
                                X