Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call to arms - RDF!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Call to arms - RDF!

    Being the "volunteers" and patriots we are in the RDF how about taking the lead and proposing to forgo camp money and grat for 2 years to help our country out. Discuss

  • #2
    This thread is an hour old and still no replies...I think that is your answer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Better still

      How about turning the RDF back into the drinking club that so many people clain the FCA was. THen we could all do camp in our local bks and plough the mony straight back into the mess.

      Those that parade in a place with no mess can support their local hostillery and so boost the economy.

      On a more serious note camps cost more money than just pay.
      Without supplies no army is brave.

      —Frederick the Great,

      Instructions to his Generals, 1747

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lennon31 View Post
        Being the "volunteers" and patriots we are in the RDF how about taking the lead and proposing to forgo camp money and grat for 2 years to help our country out. Discuss
        I won't take the lead but I will follow if members of the PDF cover me in my full-time job while I'm in camp, on weekends or on parade nights out of their holiday entitlement and free time for free too.

        What I'm basically saying is I get paid little enough as it is for the time I put in so why should I do it for free. What I get paid annually isn't any incentive but it is the only reason I'm still active at all
        Last edited by bunny shooter; 21 February 2009, 00:19.

        Comment


        • #5
          In fairness I and others have done years with no camp and thus no pay.

          It is the decision of the MA to insist to stay effective you must go on camp or more correctly 7 days FTT.

          Many of those that do attend do so by taking unpaid leave from their full time job.

          Not many people can take a week off with no pay and still pay the bills.

          Ok maybe we are heading for a reserve full of 17 to 24 year olds that don't have to worry about the mortgage of how to fund the kids next craze. So a week with no pay wouldn't be so bad.

          Ok so you could argue that if we all went to airsoft it would cost us money but then if we all did that then we could elect who our commanders were and decide if we wanted to "play a perticular game".

          I really don't think you could seriously suggest a weeks FTT with no pay unless you want to totally destroy the organisation.
          Without supplies no army is brave.

          —Frederick the Great,

          Instructions to his Generals, 1747

          Comment


          • #6
            Don't feed the troll!
            Once more unto the breach, dear friends

            Comment


            • #7
              Who might that be?

              Much the same question was asked by Mr Hedge Hog. Although he phrased it something like "why should you be paid for your hobby"
              Without supplies no army is brave.

              —Frederick the Great,

              Instructions to his Generals, 1747

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by luchi View Post
                Who might that be?

                Much the same question was asked by Mr Hedge Hog. Although he phrased it something like "why should you be paid for your hobby"
                1- there is no gap- hedgehog is one word- I dont like the french version

                2- I didnt ask it exactly like that

                3- I merely broached the subject to initiate a debate on the subject

                4- I am brilliant

                5- Every so often I need to pump up my own self esteem

                6- Is there any harm in discussing this issue without getting paranoid and defensive

                7- Cant think of anything else
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                  I won't take the lead but I will follow if members of the PDF cover me in my full-time job while I'm in camp, on weekends or on parade nights out of their holiday entitlement and free time for free too.
                  I'd think about that if you tell me what's the benefit to me in doing so.
                  sigpic
                  Say NO to violence against Women

                  Originally posted by hedgehog
                  My favourite moment was when the
                  Originally posted by hedgehog
                  red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    1- there is no gap- hedgehog is one word- I dont like the french version
                    Typo butr no point fixing it as you quoted.

                    2- I didnt ask it exactly like that

                    3- I merely broached the subject to initiate a debate on the subject
                    I know that

                    4- I am brilliant
                    I think I've sucked up enough so I will say nothing about that.

                    5- Every so often I need to pump up my own self esteem
                    I think that should read

                    SO SO often I need to pump up my own self esteem


                    6- Is there any harm in discussing this issue without getting paranoid and defensive
                    You make it sound as if paranoia is bad.

                    Now stop picking on me!!

                    7- Cant think of anything else
                    OK
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

                    —Frederick the Great,

                    Instructions to his Generals, 1747

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i would,but its all about the money for most people,money money money!
                      put the money we get paid into the training and the gear that the pdf get!
                      i dont want any more hand me downs,we should get what they get!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Reserve were never in it for the money but do you think the Cadre would give up their money on the same basis as you want the reserves to give up their money. The TD's wont give up anything either so why should we after all we have spent hundreds if not thousands over the year in the reserves we are entitled to anything we get which is not much.
                        SO MY ANSWER IS NO!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                          I'd think about that if you tell me what's the benefit to me in doing so.
                          Means I get more time to go on camp etc. Don't worry you'd be able to do my job same as I can do yours

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by goc132 View Post
                            The Reserve were never in it for the money but do you think the Cadre would give up their money on the same basis as you want the reserves to give up their money. The TD's wont give up anything either so why should we after all we have spent hundreds if not thousands over the year in the reserves we are entitled to anything we get which is not much.
                            SO MY ANSWER IS NO!

                            Although I totally agree with you you can't keep going around saying "its not fair, I won't do X untill someone else does it".

                            At the end of the day being in the reserve is your choice. The question now becomes
                            >>If the government decided to save money by making the RDF totally voluntary, like the civil defence, would people still dedicate their time?

                            I think at first there would be a drop off but long term the RDF would still be there.
                            Without supplies no army is brave.

                            —Frederick the Great,

                            Instructions to his Generals, 1747

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Albeit a drastically smaller force with no NCO's or Officers and few members staying on for more then 2 years or when they leave school.
                              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X