Up Skilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up Skilling

Are there any courses where sergeants can up skill? I heard a rumour that there was one coming up but cant confirm?
    Air Corps Veteran

For PDF or RDF?
    Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yep. There's one on the list.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

There is a "seminar" for pln sgts this year. PM me and I will send you the details

Comment

Thanks..but no thanks. With all due respects I do appreciate the offer but I'm not taking details from someone who refers to a pl as a pln.

Plank.
          Air Corps Veteran

Comment

I bet Luchi has something to say.
            Air Corps Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by magister View Post
              Thanks..but no thanks. With all due respects I do appreciate the offer but I'm not taking details from someone who refers to a pl as a pln.

Plank.
              Since you asked

So you are in the BA then??

FYI

Abbriviations for platoon

In the US

P is used for Platoon when coupled
              ie Platoon Sgt = PS

In the BA it is al ways PL
              ie pl Sgt

In the Irish Army occasionally pl is used but USUALLY pln.
              Pln is found on official documents but also pl.

So Pom lets not be so quick.
              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Platoon Sgt Seminar

[MOD: Ever patient thread merge]

Just received an email regarding a RDF Plt Sgt seminar dates ect. Does anybody know whats entailed and is it death by lecture. Its a weekend and then 1 week FTT in June.

Comment

Originally posted by koppiteal View Post
                  Just received an email regarding a RDF Plt Sgt seminar dates ect. Does anybody know whats entailed and is it death by lecture. Its a weekend and then 1 week FTT in June.
                  Hahaha,

I heard about this course and suspected it was going to be a weeks beasting on the ground. I laugh when people say it is going to be death by powerpoint. It is a mix of the 2 from what I heard.

Basically, the annual Infantry assessments have found a major weakness amongst Pl Sgts. Most are capable soldiers around the barrack or in training but have little knowledge of how to admin a Pl on the ground. As an assessor, I asked a Sgt for his completed Orbat & Ammocas card before his Platoon in attack and he looked at me like I had 2 heads. Another one had all the stuff but had no experience of them and didn't know when or how to submit them.
                  It isn't the Sgts, it is the training. My Standard NCOs cse did very little about section level in tactics and concentrated more on theory & admin.

Basically they are trying to up skill Sgts in their role on the ground until a point where it can be incorporated into the Standard NCOs cse.

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                    In the Irish Army occasionally pl is used but USUALLY pln.
                    Pln is found on official documents but also pl.
                    I'm not defending Magister but

FCA Officers Handbook
                    Platoon = Pl

Comment

cheers for the info. Sounds intresting and id have to agree that admin on the ground is something that i personally have to improve on. Ands it is down to lack of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                        I'm not defending Magister but

FCA Officers Handbook
                        Platoon = Pl
                        Although you are not agreeing that those that use Pln are incompetant planks.

So are you saying that because the FCA Handbook uses Pl then all other documents were Pln are used are wrong or would you not agree both ate in use?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                          Although you are not agreeing that those that use Pln are incompetant planks.

So are you saying that because the FCA Handbook uses Pl then all other documents were Pln are used are wrong or would you not agree both ate in use?
                          I use Pl. If someone uses Pln, I know what it means and take no notice. If there was confusion over it, then I would have a problem with it, but there isn't.

The FCA officers handbook is the only DF publication that I can recall that actually gives DF Abbreviations. Several others mention them but don't actually lay them out.

Given the quality of many Army documents, I'm surprised they can actually string a sentance together that actually makes sense so I'm not pushed about technical details if everyone knows what is meant.

Comment

Exactly. I can't think of any other D.F. Phrase that would be pl or pln, apart from Platoon.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Good, so in essance we agree.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Working...
                              X