Paddys day Parade participation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddys day Parade participation?

I got to thinking with the National Drinking festival around the corner, is it time DF participation in these parades came to an end?

The reports I have seen in the last few years have been similar. Local Councils organise themed parades, something of a carnival. Lots of people dressed as clowns, out for a bit of fun on a bank holiday in early spring/late winter.

And then, usually to the front, an organised, sometimes armed body of serious faces marchers, who look as if they'll trample anyone who gets in their way.(We all know it happens). Is it appropriate any more? Is this type of participation more appropriate in an Easter Parade?
    In Limerick in particular, with the current Minister, the parades are beginning to resemble the old May Day parades in moscow, and the PDF get dragged in, with their equipment, on their day off, taking what was once a RDF only affair. The next problem we have is after the parade, often guys in uniform decide to hit the pubs, and get their faces in the local rags, obviously photographed later in the celebrations. Causing embarassment to all.

Maybe it's time we left paddys day for partying, and the Easter commemoration for military displays?
    Yes. Leave it to the Majorettes and face painters, I wanna celebrate.
    34.85%
    No, when else will I get a chance to wear my uniform in public?
    65.15%

The poll is expired.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

and the PDF get dragged in, with their equipment, on their day off, taking what was once a RDF only affair

dragged in? it should be an honour to participate in the events

as usual, the RDF are willing to give up there time for something worth while, namely the festvities to comemorate our nation

Major cities like boston, NY, chicago, london, sydney etc all come to a stand still to commemorate the feast of our patron saint and u think havin a few blackheads march up and down o'connell street and a few drinks after causes embarresment?

u sir are an embarressment

Comment

Out of sight out of mind..... They'l(the crowd of spectators) be like get rid of them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        In Limerick in particular, with the current Minister, the parades are beginning to resemble the old May Day parades in moscow, and the PDF get dragged in, with their equipment, on their day off, taking what was once a RDF only affair.
        I think that has more to do with trying to cover up the fact that RDF numbers have disappeared over the last few years. Wouldn't look good if the few that are left in Limerick marched on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post

as usual, the RDF are willing to give up there time for something worth while, namely the festvities to comemorate our nation

Major cities like boston, NY, chicago, london, sydney etc all come to a stand still to commemorate the feast of our patron saint and u think havin a few blackheads march up and down o'connell street and a few drinks after causes embarresment?

u sir are an embarressment
          Noone has a problem with a few drinks afterwards, it's the drinking in Uniform, and drinking to extreme excess that people have a problem with.
          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

One easy solution to it.RDF unit commanders actually doing their jobs and insisting on the members of their units bringing a set of civies with them to change into after the parades.Problem solved.:wink:
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post
              Goldie has a point, how relevent is the DF to the current Macnas-style mardi gras efforts & how welcome is DF participation?

In my experience, the organisers of the Dublin parde were less & less keen on DF participation in the event as time went on. It even went as far as having their official announcer have a few digs at us from the podium.

As for drinking in uniform, there's always one or two spas who will get drunk and make fools of themselves & the DF. It's best to knock this practice on the head now.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I go with Goldie on this one

and I am sure most of the more sensible members on here

would also agree with him

[mod note: abusive content removed]
                Last edited by FMolloy; 6 March 2009, 09:33.
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I'd say we'll start to see a return to bygone days on this one
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Hedge your gonna loose your licence soon!
                    Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Another aspect is the dodgy marching i ve seen in many parades, last year the rdf party in carlows parade looked like they were skipping along at times , diff people calling diff steps and the band behind playing something you cant march too. using recruits to make up numbers only makes it worse.
                      Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by ollie View Post
                        Another aspect is the dodgy marching i ve seen in many parades, last year the rdf party in carlows parade looked like they were skipping along at times , diff people calling diff steps and the band behind playing something you cant march too. using recruits to make up numbers only makes it worse.
                        AKA Riverdance !!!
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by ollie View Post
                          This is precisely why i refuse to march in public....
                          But there's no danger
                          It's a professional career
                          Though it could be arranged
                          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                          If you're out of luck you're out of work
                          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

inefficiencies with marching should not be an excuse to withdraw from the paddys day parade.

the DF should be in the parade as they are an organisation who provide the protection for the irish citizens, have deceased members who should be commemorated on our national day and should show their pride at wearing the uniform. anyone who thinks the DF marching in the parade is a waste has no pride.

The DF is far more relevant to St. Patricks day than any mardi gras sh!te

NY will be jammed with the fighting 69th, national gaurd, police you name it. and you boys wont do it in dublin

im shocked

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              I'd say we'll start to see a return to bygone days on this one
                              In Dublin did the FCA/RDF ever march on St Patricks Day?

I seem to remember the old Easter parade being the military and municipal services parade.
                              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Working...
                              X