RDF Bebo sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apod View Post
    It was "staying alive" and it was made in Lebanon not Liberia.
    ah, thanks apod
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Fair enough Buck, never heard about those ones, sounds pretty harmless in fairness. The one with the weapons in Liberia even made the news here, I still think they got away pretty lightly http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0831/defence.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Jereth View Post
        I think Buck was referring to the 'I Will Survive Parody' some troops made while oversea's. An entertaining video that the DF took a dim view of...
        The Brits did a similar video that the MoD took a light hearted view of and just accepted that their soldiers were just passing some time and entertaining themselves. It wasn't hurting anyone and the BA even used it as a recruiting tool IIRC
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI5y1cNpbYo
        exactly - soldiers are people too and usually have a great sense of humour.

we have loads of videos of a similar nature and the MoD don't hassle us about them.

i think the Irish DF are way too strict when it comes to this kind of thing.

it's good to be able to inject some humour into sometimes otherwise tedious / testing conditions.

i thought the video the Irish DF lads did was great!

and anything i have seen of the Irish DF (both RDF and PDF) on Bebo has always been in good spirit and generally raised the profile of your forces in an excellent manner.
        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 7 May 2010, 16:56. Reason: edited to sound better!
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          exactly - soldiers are people too and usually have a great sense of humour.

we have loads of videos of a similar nature and the MoD don't hassle us about them.

i think the Irish DF are way too strict when it comes to this kind of thing.

it's good to be able to inject some humour into sometimes otherwise tedious / testing conditions.

i thought the video the Irish DF lads did was great!

and anything i have seen of the Irish DF (both RDF and PDF) on Bebo has always been in good spirit and generally raised the profile of your forces in a good light.
          +1 that Chad video was hilarious, as was the Leb one. I can't see how it puts us in a bad light, people can post these pics or vid up on wherever and you're always going to get the crusty element but by-and-large you'll get positive feedback from people who are interested. There is a limit however.
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• It depends on how the subject matter in the picture / video. Also the order is it has to be approved by PR Section..... "obey all lawful orders".

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              In fairness, as pictures go on bebo/facebook pages - they are quite tame.

Nothing compared to some medics pages
              Haven't been on in a while with the leaving cert...what about the medics?

I know of one very good medics page. I wasn't aware there were others.
              I would love a link if it was possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by ltsmarty View Post
                In light of the popularity of Social Networking, the DF are finishing their draft on such a regulation policy, which will be published before year end.

You have been notified.
                That would be something interesting to see.
                I wonder would the army see that the majority of the time, that people in the RDF and PDF are posting photos etc. but that they are of the calibre that shows the DF in a very positive light.
                Passing out parades, guard of honour, brotherhood, good camarederie, etc. Basically speaking, that which deosn't compromise OPSEC and/or shows the DF in a positive manner.

And as such, maybe highlight that a person can post something that doesn't pose a security risk or show the org in a bad light, so long as it is inside that remit.

And also at the end of the day, the DF would find it next to impossible to police something like that. But I am sure, as has been seen on this forum this week, if something turns up that is out of line, there are more than enough people willing to do the honourable thing and bring it to light.

I guess we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                X