RDF Bebo sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Of course site such as Bebo etc are potenitally excellent recruitment methods - IF they are run correctly!

I think all you need to do is contact the PR branch and talk to them

they will poo poo sites that are muck

while they will support and give nice pics to good sites

dont bother contacting them if your standind in your living room with a steyr
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Of course site such as Bebo etc are potenitally excellent recruitment methods - IF they are run correctly!
      That is what I have been saying all along.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
        Granted there are only a few examples of it out there, but if the press office were doing more in the way of publicity for the RDF then maybe units wouldn't have to use bebo/facebook etc. to promote their units and recruit people.
        !
        Good News, RDF.ie is on the Way, I don't know when it goes live though. (It was up for a few minutes a couple of weeks back!!!) Someone here might know when it goes live!!! Lots of Pics on it too!!!
        I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Thanks DEV and Mayday...you seem to be the only two peeps who read what I posted originally.
          Hedgehog, it doesn't work that way with the press office. I know lots of people who have been there and got nowhere.

Overall, my opinion is that these social networking sites can work as a recruitment tool. (I don't know if they do work or not, but these networking are a free resource too. So it won't cost the DF a cent)
          Primarily they are just a website, so they also offer a means of communication for members and prospective members too.

And every company and organisation in the world uses the internet and has a website. Even our beloved DF has one.

I think that Connaught Stranger mentioned that all military websites need to be monitored and have proper administration. Using the examples I have come across, I would say that they are being maintained by responsible members of the said units.

I think that the COS should be reviewed and revised, because the growing number of social networking sites is something the DF can't control.
          What should be made is an allowance for the posting of material that shows the RDF in a positive light.

I am sure that the DF look in on the aforementioned sites, especially given the higher profile of one of them in particular. I imagine that they don't have any issues with the ones in question.
          And being honest, it would be very hard to find fault with the 3 AD, 62 Cav and 62 LSB MedCoy pages. They seem to be very polished and well maintained too.

I do agree entirely with the cack pages out there. I don't know a lot about bebo, and I don't have/want a page either, but I see that it has an awful lot of potential as a recruitment tool.

Comment

(A) refers to using your membership of the DF to enhance your career prospects or raise your own profile as a celebrity. (sort of like a certain female officer who used to date a boxer)

(B) if you took this literally, then you can't even take a photograph of your passing out parade, time overseas, pics with your unit and mates etc.
            As long as a photograph is in line with being of good standing it is allowed.

I think you would be very hard pressed to find a soldier (PDF/RDF) who hasn't posed for a photo in uniform that didn't have official permission.
            I would think that the regulations would refer to matters as the MA would see fit, TBH...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

rdf.ie

I will be cautious to sing the praises of this...
              I wonder though if it will be regularly updated or just left by the wayside after a short while? Isn't that what happened before?

Comment

Originally posted by mallen83 View Post
                rdf.ie

I will be cautious to sing the praises of this...
                I wonder though if it will be regularly updated or just left by the wayside after a short while? Isn't that what happened before?
                When it was online a few weeks ago, there were a few hundred pictures on it. Which is better than nothing. It is not, from what I saw a rimary recruiting tool, but is used so members can get pictures out there without disobeying orders.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  dont bother contacting them if your standind in your living room with a steyr
                  If you have a picture of you in your living room please complete a 117 with your number, rank, name on it!

[QUOTE=mallen83;244802]
                  I think that Connaught Stranger mentioned that all military websites need to be monitored and have proper administration. Using the examples I have come across, I would say that they are being maintained by responsible members of the said units.

I think that the COS should be reviewed and revised
                  I'm sure the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces would love to be reviewed & revised!

The COS has changed since that order was published by the way.

Comment

Thanks Dazzler. I will reserve judgement on it and give it a few months online.
                    I remember this happened before ( a few times) but it just get s neglected. Which is not a good thing.

However if this is being run and maintained by RDF personnel than I will imagine it will be kept up to date.

I guess time will tell

I think Mayday made a good point...bending the rules is not the same as breaking the rules.

Comment

Facebook and the DF

Seems the DF has an official page on facebook from what I hear. Its apparently the real deal too.

So perhaps, for all of our bickering, that mallen83 raised a very good point that perhaps the use of social networking sites such as bebo and facebook can serve a purpose if used correctly. And that now the DF has gotten in on the act and 'moved with the times'.

Although I don't have the ins and outs of how successful as recruiting tools, I will say that perhaps the DF have realised that technology only advances and that they would have appeared to have been fighting a losing battle in terms of condemning the use of them.

But maybe also that the examples of 3 AD and 62 LSB Medical Coy were the examples that showed them what can happen if they are used correctly. Hopefully this DF facebook page is a step forward and so on in embracing technology such as the internet when it is used correctly.

Lets hope that more common sense can prevail on issues like this.

P.S. to the medics - how did you manage to get 3500 members on a bebo site? Especially when your unit only has a strength of about 70.
                      But fair play to you guys...it is a very good page/site. Credit where credit is due.

And the question I would ask is this : does it work in terms of recruiting potential recruits?

Comment

that mallen83
                        What do you mean by "That"

thats no way to talk about yourself
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Seems the DF has an official page on facebook from what I hear. Its apparently the real deal too.

Lets hope that more common sense can prevail on issues like this.

P.S. to the medics - how did you manage to get 3500 members on a bebo site?

And the question I would ask is this : does it work in terms of recruiting potential recruits?
                          Link or GTFO tbh, Just saying there is an official Page means nothing. There has to be proof of it being Official.

They got 3500 members because lots of people go around just adding every Unit to their Page to show just how into RDF they are, then don't show up on field days, because they're Hungover. Now that my friends is dedication.

Probably does, but the flashy horrible ones with pics of lads pointing weapons at each other probably work again. It should be about getting good lads, not any lads.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                            Link or GTFO tbh, Just saying there is an official Page means nothing. There has to be proof of it being Official.

Defence Forces Ireland This is the official Defence Forces Facebook page, being run by the DF Press Office, Comdt Gavin Young and Capt Pat O'Connor as moderators.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dazzler
                              Link or GTFO tbh, Just saying there is an official Page means nothing. There has to be proof of it being Official

I'm sure the fact that the moderators put their names to it and leave themselves open to question would suggest that it is in fact official.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

OK I suppose it can be believed then. but in fairness, Facebook tends to have an older more "mature" Audience than Bebo.

Comment

Working...
                                X