RDF Bebo sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading this thread.

We got a talk from one of our officers and he said that we could put up photos and so on from camp/weekends BUT we had to be careful about what we were putting up. We can't post any photos of people messing about and the like, but that if we were putting up photos that managed to show the unit/organisation in a good light, then there was no problem.
    And also that we were responsible for them going up. Which he was most serious about.

He mentioned it in the same vein that the thread seems to be about. He acknowledged that he doesn't understand bebo/facebook purely because of his age. But he did say that they have their good and bad points, with the emphasis being that if we put something up on the 'net that touches on the bad points, then we are answerable for it.

I am a member of the medics page (not my unit or corps) but I think its a pretty good page actually. And I am commenting on it because I was looking at it tonight and saw that it is updated. I especially liked the video on using a safety pin in the field. That is pretty cool in my opinion. It is well run and maintained, and it is very hard to find fault with it.
    Same goes for the facebook page for the DF too.

But the medics page is kind of out on its own. And that is because it is a good page. Credit where credit is due. I have seen people commenting on this thread with pros and cons, but there seems to be a consensus that there are too few quality pages existing. And I would say that it is the majority of dire pages that detract from the very few quality pages that are out there.

So on that point, I would say that to answer Mallen83, that if they are done properly then they are good thing at the end of the day. Plus not every unit uses them.

Comment

This is an official New Zealand Army profile:
      Stylish online invitation maker! Choose digital invites, customize with photos or videos, text or email to guests, & track RSVPs.

There are tribute groups to the DF on bebo and similar sites, but perhaps it would be worthwhile for the DF to set up an official one similar to the Kiwi's?

Comment

Wasn't worthy of starting a new thread but apparently the 'clamping down' on the stupid photos of stupid people doing stupid things while in uniform didn't go very well...

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Says a lot that the 2 lads are wearing stripes not stars!
          Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

I'd assume(a dangerous thing, I know) that any NCO whould have the sense not to do such a thing. I'd suspect that the lads bought the stripes themselves but I don't know them so I can't say for definite

Comment

It might be an idea to post the photos seperately from their respective Facebook pages, and maybe apply some "wing" tape to the photos for the sake of PERSEC. No point upsetting people here.

I'm not trying to be a MOD, just saying that it would be more logical to post the photo without indentifying who's in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                It might be an idea to post the photos seperately from their respective Facebook pages, and maybe apply some "wing" tape to the photos for the sake of PERSEC. No point upsetting people here.

I'm not trying to be a MOD, just saying that it would be more logical to post the photo without indentifying who's in it.
                That would be great if they hadn't identified themselves on a social network such as facebook which is very much in the public domain.
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

I get that ZULU, but they're only really visable to their friends and social network on Facebook, by posting them up on here, it puts their image up for all manner of people to see. Persec is usually a touchy subject on here, so it would be a matter of respect to allow them theirs.

But I agree with your point, they are already in the public domain.

I don't mind having a photo of yourself up in uniform, I've done it myself on facebook, as long as you don't look like you're part of a militia convention.

The first rule of weapon handling, don't point your weapon at anyone, (other than the enemy) even in jest. RDF Jobsworth number 1 up there has already broken that rule and flaunts it! It's hardly the safety conscious and responsible image of RDF that we should be presenting ourselves in. What parent is going to want to release little Johnny to join us whenever we get recruiting again, if these are the images they associate with the RDF?

Comment

I thought about that Swift and Sure but like Zulu said, they're already in the public domain. They decided to put those pictures up knowing full well that anybody can see their profile picture and their name.
                    They also had the option(And should have had the cop on) to not post themselves doing ridiculous things in uniform.

Comment

In fairness, as pictures go on bebo/facebook pages - they are quite tame.

Nothing compared to some medics pages
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Why what have the medics been getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jereth View Post
                          I thought about that Swift and Sure but like Zulu said, they're already in the public domain. They decided to put those pictures up knowing full well that anybody can see their profile picture and their name.
                          They also had the option(And should have had the cop on) to not post themselves doing ridiculous things in uniform.
                          Yeah, you're both probably right, no point starting a storm in a teacup over this. I wonder if either is a board member?

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                            Nothing compared to some medics pages
                            Is there much worse than pointing a weapon at a person that isn't the enemy..?

Ok in hindsight I've been assuming that there was a person holding that camera, but maybe it was on a tripod or something...?

Still though, one thing is very clear, he looks very cool in that photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jereth View Post
                              Still though, one thing is very clear, he looks very cool in that photo.
                              Me arse they look cool

Lou:
                              "Hey Chief, can I hold my gun sideways, it looks so cool"

Silly t*ts that should know better...
                              Beyond the Leap, beyond the law!

Comment

Found on a facebook page.

Note the helmet......

Last edited by SwiftandSure; 6 May 2010, 16:40. Reason: Changed picture

Comment

Working...
                                X