Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
    I reckon the commission will address the age of recruits. It was mentioned in a lot of submissions and it was one of the recommendations of the commission on policing. If they can pass the tests and the training what's the problem?
    People are working longer.
    A good friend of mine Joined the AAS after leaving cert, did his full contract after qualifying and has, at the age of 50 been in his civvy job longer than he was in the NS.
    His Brother and Father were also NS, and his father was the last of the family to hang up the uniform.
    His father ran the Cosantoir 10K every year to retirement (after which he entered as a walker).
    The DFCoS runs it every year, and he's over 60.

The older candidate knows what he is letting himself in for. You could get longer out of him or her than the guy who just finished his LC and hasn't lived much life.

Comment

• The only real problem might be someone starting too late to accrue a decent pension but honestly that's the individual's mistake to make imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
        The only real problem might be someone starting too late to accrue a decent pension but honestly that's the individual's mistake to make imo.
        In the PS you can "buyback" service which acts to increase your pension pot, if you can afford it.

Comment

• There are arguments either way but I think if an individual can meet the physical requirements, they should be allowed to join at an older age and especially for technical trades. I would suggest that they should still have the opportunity for a full career so I think the RN's limit of 39 is a great limit. Someone who is physically fit and motivated at 39 could be a potentially a great candidate.

I discussed this issue with a person involved in British Army recruitment a number of years ago and he stated that there is a bias towards youth when joining the combat arms especially for leadership positions regardless of actual joining age limits. Infantry regiments tend to take new YO's from the younger end of the scale as they are thinking on a full career basis. They expect battalion commanders to be promoted to the role at age 38-40(ish) and recruit appropriately. Also, they were reluctant to create large age gaps between platoon commanders (in combat units) and their men/women as it would lead to too much of a disconnect. Interesting perspective I thought but one that is from ten years ago and from a Falklands veteran.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            WRC had 'no jurisdiction' to rule on naval service age discrimination complaint (irishexaminer.com)

A Noble endeavour.
            Is there grounds though to review the upper age limits for recruitment? Some of you may remember the age limits were reduced to change the army from what it was in the 80s, full of 50 year old privates who's only exercise was climbing into bed at night or walking between the mess and the pub outside the barrack gates.
            Current upper limits are 25 for Army, 27 for Navy, and 26 for Cadetships. The Air Corps Apprentice school is younger again, under 21 on closing date, or 23 if already serving.
            Fitness has changed, as a generation since then. I frequently see 50 year olds running 5K twice a week. (back when there were 5K parkruns).
            The RN recently greatly changed their age window to 16 to 39.
            US military has upper age limits of 28 for USMC, 31 for USCG and 39 for USN(42 for officer).

If someone is willing to serve as an older applicant, and passes the same fitness levels as an 18 year old, why shouldn't they be permitted to serve? Can we afford to recruit from such a small pool in the current situation?
            Yep, across the pond, candidates can enlist in the Reserve up to the age of 52 (service branch and appointment dependent)
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Yep, across the pond, candidates can enlist in the Reserve up to the age of 52 (service branch and appointment dependent)
              Anyone who has joined the RDF has to has be gone before they hit 50 now (unless they commission of course)! Didn't Steve Collins join the Army Reserve across the water aged 52/53?
              Last edited by Auldsod; 9 September 2021, 16:56.

Comment

• What age was that knob Ganley when he joined?
                he likes to use his service in the RDF to boost his far right following.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

Anyone who has joined the RDF has to has be gone before they hit 50 now (unless they commission of course)! Didn't Steve Collins join the Army Reserve across the water aged 52/53?
                  Only if they were attested after 1 Oct 2005

if you attested before that it’s 60

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

Correct - Soldier magazine did an article on him enlisting. Thought I was seeing things when I saw it
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                    X