Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    An extra position for a General will be announced and 3 full colonels to support him

this new General will be responsible for implementing the cut backs and embargos

it will also appease the senior officers

1 Token NCO will be promoted
    I' d give that crystal ball of your another dose of Mr Sheen if I was you....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Cen Fath
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        which is a lot to do with people who don't like change in the RDF, and not due to the mainline PDF who have generally been supportive, if a little bemused.
        I disagree but far the bulk of the problems haven't come from those in green berets.

Comment

What have the ARW done now?
          Air Corps Veteran

Comment

Don't think hedgie will get his General.

This is the age of the consultant.

More likely one of the Lt Gens will be encouraged to take early retirement on full pension. He will then be rehired as a consultant on double his current pay to "review" the army and implement the cuts.
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

He will then become a "security correspondent" with the irish Times.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

was a 7 day affair when i first joined too ,, but when you look at today's syllabus requirements many are 2 weeks and some more ,
                "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                  was a 7 day affair when i first joined too ,, but when you look at today's syllabus requirements many are 2 weeks and some more ,
                  what a fantastic way to kill the reserve. If they can't do the training... they can't get more ptes... hence can't survive....
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                  Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                  Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

This is why I think the moratorium on recruitment is a great thing for the reserve;

Over the last eight or so months, my south-Dublin based infantry unit has experienced a sharp increase in interest. This is partly due to an ongoing and focused recruitment effort which I'm proud to say that I was a part of. Other units have experienced a similar influx of interested potential recruits so it’s not just a result of our efforts, but it helped.

There is a moratorium on recruitment but - please correct me if I'm wrong - the coy strength is allowed to be maintained at their Jan 1st number. So it follows that if numbers reduce they can be replaced, but only up to the Jan 1st level. This means that there is not a ban on recruiting, but there is a cap on numbers.

So now we are in the situation that we have a number of applicants for limited positions. This means that the unit can be selective. The result should show that only the best can get a place, and those whom do not meet yet-to-be-set criteria are put on hold until a position opens. This opens a can of worms as to what criteria is for rejection but from a positive perspective, it should be seen that only those who are keen, show potential and have the commitment to join the reserve are given the places.

The effect of the moratorium should trickle down to the existing members. Training intensity and expectancy should be improved dramatically. This will act as a filtration process which will identify those who are unfit or unwilling to improve their skills. I'm going to just pause here and say that I'm not suggesting that we make every reservist do ranger selection to weed out the fatties. I'm suggesting a gradual increase in standards for all ranks.

On taking in only a small number of recruits every year, their training can be better coordinated and personalised. There are aspects of training that some people find difficult - not me obviously, I'm an NCO - and if there were lower numbers of recruits per unit they would get more focused lessons because of the smaller class sizes. During camp, the recruits could be pooled and trained as a block which would be great for unit morale in future.

So if there ever was a time to improve the reserve, it’s now. The old guard will be forced to change. So now is the time for;
                    • privates to get their arse to parade nights and ranges,
                    • corporals to stop winging lessons and start preparing them properly,
                    • sergeants to lay off the custard creams and shove his boot in the corporal’s balloon knot,
                    • company sergeants to stop drinking tea and make the sergeant run a few laps
                    • company quartermasters to stop complaining about the stores and actually find out where they are,
                    • officers to stay away… far away… further… keep going…

Since I’ve been a member I’ve seen a huge increase in the standard of training, so let’s not stop here and give each other a pat on the arse. The better we, as reservists, make the orginasation, the more desirable it will be to potential recruits. This is the opportunity that we have been waiting for, all we have to do is our jobs.
                    Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      Cen Fath
                      An EXTRA General when we are in cost cutting mode ? I don't think so....

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                      Don't think hedgie will get his General.

This is the age of the consultant.

More likely one of the Lt Gens will be encouraged to take early retirement on full pension. He will then be rehired as a consultant on double his current pay to "review" the army and implement the cuts.
                      I would have said this too was a non runner, until I think back on the amount of
                      consultants used for various purposes in the past, and now think that this would be
                      more likely than the scenario above !!!
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

We could get a "Inspector General" as allowed in the Defence Acts.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                          I predict more and more cutbacks!

Cuts cuts and more cuts. resrerve wouldnt manage above as no doubt a special tricycle154 would be required and no funds for course

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            He will then become a "security correspondent" with the irish Times.

Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                            It is written neither in stone nor blood. A stroke of a pen can change that.
                            Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            We could get a "Inspector General" as allowed in the Defence Acts.
                            Good God I was joking but looks as if someone in the Dail was a step ahead.

TD look at any company that wants to implament cost cutting. First contract a consultant to determine the feasability then hire a manager to work with the consultant on implamentation.

These guys usually et a bonus that is a percentage of the savings.

So it is all possible.
                            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                              :TD look at any company that wants to implament cost cutting. First contract a consultant to determine the feasability then hire a manager to work with the consultant on implamentation.

These guys usually et a bonus that is a percentage of the savings.

So it is all possible.
                              Reread my post.

I said that getting an extra General wasn't going to be a runner.

I DIDN'T disagree with the notion of a consultant being hired ....

Comment

Well said Chief bubble wrap - keep the head down and get on with it.......

Comment

Working...
                                X