Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Reread my post.

I said that getting an extra General wasn't going to be a runner.

I DIDN'T disagree with the notion of a consultant being hired ....
    I didn't say you did.

However I am saying that Hedgie might be right about a New Gen.

ie retired Gen gets consultancy and new prpmo on grounds of implamenting cost savings.

Hence senior ranks get around the promotion embargo!!!!
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Bubblewrap View Post

So if there ever was a time to improve the reserve, it’s now. The old guard will be forced to change. So now is the time for;
      • privates to get their arse to parade nights and ranges,
      • corporals to stop winging lessons and start preparing them properly,
      • sergeants to lay off the custard creams and shove his boot in the corporal’s balloon knot,
      • company sergeants to stop drinking tea and make the sergeant run a few laps
      • company quartermasters to stop complaining about the stores and actually find out where they are,
      • officers to stay away… far away… further… keep going…
      I agree with you on this, bar the comment on officers. The lower commissioned ranks need to start displaying better leadership qualities, and work in harmony with the NCOs to get soldier development its highest optimum level within the administration/budgetary constraints.

The RDF need a physical fitness standard! The RDF isn't much of a challenge for recruits and without that challenge there will be little in the way of long term retention. Furthermore, if the "Old Guard" aren't fit enough to soldier or to lead, then it's unlikely they'll earn the respect of their troops. It's time to weed out those that aren't capable of leading by example and form an organisation with a strong backbone of good NCOs that recruits and trains a satisfactory standard of soldier.

I think it's important for any government to have a reserve military; if anything, just for the pool of volunteers that can be resourced at short notice for a variety of scenarios.
      The RDF however is doomed to fail in its endeavour to be a credible component of the DF if it can't bite the bullet and separate the wheat from the chaff. Poor NCOs, and poor leadership is a cancer in any unit; and slowly but surely the RDF is decaying because of these poorly run units.

If the government did a VFM report and simply see recruits and soldiers being drilled around a barracks all night because those in charge haven't prepared lessons, or drawing weapons and doing the same NSP lesson week after week or just don't have access to classrooms on the night; all for just over an hour because it's taken so long to transport troops to/from their training location; the conclusion will be "let's bin these wasters".

Funding shouldn't be an excuse for poor weekly training; Troops can still do command tasks, navigation, fire control orders, theory of fieldcraft/first aid/section battle drills/command and signal, voice procedure etc with little extra cost other than heating and lighting a classroom.
      If the aforementioned can be combined with a competent NCO who can give a clear and concise lesson without nostalgically spending half of that allotted time spouting off about past exercises in the Glen, with comments like "if that were a real situation............", then we'd be onto a winner!

I think the RDF will survive the recession; whether it'll be of any use to the DF by 2011 remains to be seen.

Comment

Working...
      X