• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    SwiftandSure
    Closed Account

• SwiftandSure
    replied
    Originally posted by Chief Bubblewrap View Post

So if there ever was a time to improve the reserve, it’s now. The old guard will be forced to change. So now is the time for;
    • privates to get their arse to parade nights and ranges,
    • corporals to stop winging lessons and start preparing them properly,
    • sergeants to lay off the custard creams and shove his boot in the corporal’s balloon knot,
    • company sergeants to stop drinking tea and make the sergeant run a few laps
    • company quartermasters to stop complaining about the stores and actually find out where they are,
    • officers to stay away… far away… further… keep going…
    I agree with you on this, bar the comment on officers. The lower commissioned ranks need to start displaying better leadership qualities, and work in harmony with the NCOs to get soldier development its highest optimum level within the administration/budgetary constraints.

The RDF need a physical fitness standard! The RDF isn't much of a challenge for recruits and without that challenge there will be little in the way of long term retention. Furthermore, if the "Old Guard" aren't fit enough to soldier or to lead, then it's unlikely they'll earn the respect of their troops. It's time to weed out those that aren't capable of leading by example and form an organisation with a strong backbone of good NCOs that recruits and trains a satisfactory standard of soldier.

I think it's important for any government to have a reserve military; if anything, just for the pool of volunteers that can be resourced at short notice for a variety of scenarios.
    The RDF however is doomed to fail in its endeavour to be a credible component of the DF if it can't bite the bullet and separate the wheat from the chaff. Poor NCOs, and poor leadership is a cancer in any unit; and slowly but surely the RDF is decaying because of these poorly run units.

If the government did a VFM report and simply see recruits and soldiers being drilled around a barracks all night because those in charge haven't prepared lessons, or drawing weapons and doing the same NSP lesson week after week or just don't have access to classrooms on the night; all for just over an hour because it's taken so long to transport troops to/from their training location; the conclusion will be "let's bin these wasters".

Funding shouldn't be an excuse for poor weekly training; Troops can still do command tasks, navigation, fire control orders, theory of fieldcraft/first aid/section battle drills/command and signal, voice procedure etc with little extra cost other than heating and lighting a classroom.
    If the aforementioned can be combined with a competent NCO who can give a clear and concise lesson without nostalgically spending half of that allotted time spouting off about past exercises in the Glen, with comments like "if that were a real situation............", then we'd be onto a winner!

I think the RDF will survive the recession; whether it'll be of any use to the DF by 2011 remains to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    Cut backs

• luchi
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Reread my post.

I said that getting an extra General wasn't going to be a runner.

I DIDN'T disagree with the notion of a consultant being hired ....
    I didn't say you did.

However I am saying that Hedgie might be right about a New Gen.

ie retired Gen gets consultancy and new prpmo on grounds of implamenting cost savings.

Hence senior ranks get around the promotion embargo!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Johnny2Stripes
    C/S

• Johnny2Stripes
    replied
    Well said Chief bubble wrap - keep the head down and get on with it.......

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    Captain

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by luchi View Post
    :TD look at any company that wants to implament cost cutting. First contract a consultant to determine the feasability then hire a manager to work with the consultant on implamentation.

These guys usually et a bonus that is a percentage of the savings.

So it is all possible.
    Reread my post.

I said that getting an extra General wasn't going to be a runner.

I DIDN'T disagree with the notion of a consultant being hired ....

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    Cut backs

• luchi
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    He will then become a "security correspondent" with the irish Times.

Originally posted by greyfox View Post
    was a 7 day affair when i first joined too ,, but when you look at today's syllabus requirements many are 2 weeks and some more ,
    It is written neither in stone nor blood. A stroke of a pen can change that.
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    We could get a "Inspector General" as allowed in the Defence Acts.
    Good God I was joking but looks as if someone in the Dail was a step ahead.

TD look at any company that wants to implament cost cutting. First contract a consultant to determine the feasability then hire a manager to work with the consultant on implamentation.

These guys usually et a bonus that is a percentage of the savings.

So it is all possible.

Leave a comment:

• Ex Brit
    Recruit

• Ex Brit
    replied
    Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    I predict more and more cutbacks!

Cuts cuts and more cuts. resrerve wouldnt manage above as no doubt a special tricycle154 would be required and no funds for course

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    We could get a "Inspector General" as allowed in the Defence Acts.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    Captain

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Cen Fath
    An EXTRA General when we are in cost cutting mode ? I don't think so....

Originally posted by luchi View Post
    Don't think hedgie will get his General.

This is the age of the consultant.

More likely one of the Lt Gens will be encouraged to take early retirement on full pension. He will then be rehired as a consultant on double his current pay to "review" the army and implement the cuts.
    I would have said this too was a non runner, until I think back on the amount of
    consultants used for various purposes in the past, and now think that this would be
    more likely than the scenario above !!!

Leave a comment:

• Chief Bubblewrap
    Colonel

• Chief Bubblewrap
    replied
    This is why I think the moratorium on recruitment is a great thing for the reserve;

Over the last eight or so months, my south-Dublin based infantry unit has experienced a sharp increase in interest. This is partly due to an ongoing and focused recruitment effort which I'm proud to say that I was a part of. Other units have experienced a similar influx of interested potential recruits so it’s not just a result of our efforts, but it helped.

There is a moratorium on recruitment but - please correct me if I'm wrong - the coy strength is allowed to be maintained at their Jan 1st number. So it follows that if numbers reduce they can be replaced, but only up to the Jan 1st level. This means that there is not a ban on recruiting, but there is a cap on numbers.

So now we are in the situation that we have a number of applicants for limited positions. This means that the unit can be selective. The result should show that only the best can get a place, and those whom do not meet yet-to-be-set criteria are put on hold until a position opens. This opens a can of worms as to what criteria is for rejection but from a positive perspective, it should be seen that only those who are keen, show potential and have the commitment to join the reserve are given the places.

The effect of the moratorium should trickle down to the existing members. Training intensity and expectancy should be improved dramatically. This will act as a filtration process which will identify those who are unfit or unwilling to improve their skills. I'm going to just pause here and say that I'm not suggesting that we make every reservist do ranger selection to weed out the fatties. I'm suggesting a gradual increase in standards for all ranks.

On taking in only a small number of recruits every year, their training can be better coordinated and personalised. There are aspects of training that some people find difficult - not me obviously, I'm an NCO - and if there were lower numbers of recruits per unit they would get more focused lessons because of the smaller class sizes. During camp, the recruits could be pooled and trained as a block which would be great for unit morale in future.

So if there ever was a time to improve the reserve, it’s now. The old guard will be forced to change. So now is the time for;
    • privates to get their arse to parade nights and ranges,
    • corporals to stop winging lessons and start preparing them properly,
    • sergeants to lay off the custard creams and shove his boot in the corporal’s balloon knot,
    • company sergeants to stop drinking tea and make the sergeant run a few laps
    • company quartermasters to stop complaining about the stores and actually find out where they are,
    • officers to stay away… far away… further… keep going…

Since I’ve been a member I’ve seen a huge increase in the standard of training, so let’s not stop here and give each other a pat on the arse. The better we, as reservists, make the orginasation, the more desirable it will be to potential recruits. This is the opportunity that we have been waiting for, all we have to do is our jobs.

Leave a comment:

• johnny no stars
    Colonel

• johnny no stars
    replied
    Originally posted by greyfox View Post
    was a 7 day affair when i first joined too ,, but when you look at today's syllabus requirements many are 2 weeks and some more ,
    what a fantastic way to kill the reserve. If they can't do the training... they can't get more ptes... hence can't survive....

Leave a comment:

• greyfox
    the gunney

• greyfox
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    Tim Horgan

• Goldie fish
    replied
    He will then become a "security correspondent" with the irish Times.

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    Cut backs

• luchi
    replied
    Don't think hedgie will get his General.

This is the age of the consultant.

More likely one of the Lt Gens will be encouraged to take early retirement on full pension. He will then be rehired as a consultant on double his current pay to "review" the army and implement the cuts.

Leave a comment:

• magister
    Corporal

• magister
    replied
    What have the ARW done now?

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    which is a lot to do with people who don't like change in the RDF, and not due to the mainline PDF who have generally been supportive, if a little bemused.
    I disagree but far the bulk of the problems haven't come from those in green berets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X