No announcement yet.

Wireless Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not lobby for the messes to be turned into internet cafes with WiFi.
    It would be uo to the messes to get the broadband connection and router.

Ths could serve the greater good.
    I could serve as a communications hub,
    facilitate those that wish to part-take in distance learning,
    Break once and for all that image that when not soldiering all there is to do is drink,

I am sure others could think of lots of good that could result.
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

A man could make a bit of money if easy solution found to [ Xbox 360 or PS3 + Xbox Live ] + Dongle , without some form of PC in the middle.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post

Break once and for all that image that when not soldiering all there is to do is drink,

Think thats a great idea
        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post

An exceedengly good idea
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Luchi...turning the messes into internet cafes. What an excellent idea.

Plus the DF are trying to eradicate this drinking culture in the mess too. This would certanly be a step in the right direction.

I can see any fault with that suggestion. Spot on is what I will say.

And if you're in the mess with everyone else, then you are definitely not going to be looking at anything inappropriate. You might have hit the nail on the head there.

What would the cost be to implement something like that? I would say fairly negligible. A modem is really all that is required at the end of the day. People can supply their own laptops.

Are there any nay sayers to this excellent point?

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
              Groundhog

Get a grip!
              There's every chance that the answer is not on the intranet. And if its not then you are extremely likely to find the answer from a reputable source on the internet.

All it takes is for someone to ask the question.

If the internet is readily available in Finner and a few other places, then why there and not everywhere else? Obviously it is not being abused up there, and it would be safe to assume that the same would be said everywhere.

Johnny-no-stars mentioned a very valid point about people using it signing up to a document for correct usage and so on. There's the solution. Once you sign, you have no comeback if you do something wrong.

And I NEVER mentioned the issue of a laptop to everyone. Or anyone for that matter.
              I mentioned that it would be personal issue in the sense that it would be paid for by whoever owns it and uses it. As in its their personal property.
              So if he/she downloads a virus or looks at something inappropriate, then the onus falls on them because it is their laptop and TS if they do. And likewise if they need to have someone repair it.
              You're boring me now.[/QUOTE]

Groundhog

Boring you eh? I like the way that you posted that comment to reflect that I said the quote about something not being on the intranet, when it was originally posted by yourself.
              How mature you are.

STILL POST #41 DOES VINDICATE ME
              As you can see, you would appear to be in the minority of people opposed to this very good idea. Which seems to have developed into a very practical possibility courtesy of Luchi's suggestion.
              Last edited by mallen83; 24 April 2009, 21:16.

Comment

Its actually quite a good idea. Basic monitoring programs can be included to keep an eye on who is looking at what, and everyone goes home happy.

Not in the guardroom though

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by mallen83 View Post
                  STILL POST #41 DOES VINDICATE ME
                  As you can see, you would appear to be in the minority of people opposed to this very good idea. Which seems to have developed into a very practical possibility courtesy of Luchi's suggestion.
                  What you suggested and what Luchi suggested are very different things - you wanted free wireless internet access across the whole barracks, but luchi is suggesting that the messes be converted into netcafes in an attempt to move away from the drinking culture. Big difference between the two ideas, particularly in terms of prevention of illegal activities.

Comment

I didn't Barry...if you look at my original point I merely asked could it be provided in a barracks.

Granted I got a bit sidetracked from my original train of thought, but I was asking if it could be possible to have wi-fi in a barracks and readily accessible for all.

I think Luchi hit the nail on the head with his suggestion though.

Comment

The Genis of an idea

first attack everything you do not understand

All Naval Vessels have internet. Most overseas postings have internet. They need it to communicate with family at home.
                      WHY would you need wireless internet in a barracks? WHY?

Show me an area of the atlantic, or Chad that has an internet cafe a short walk away..
                      They are living in, they aren't prisoners.

In between these 2 I was (in all truth still am an asshole)

Its actually quite a good idea. Basic monitoring programs can be included to keep an eye on who is looking at what, and everyone goes home happy.

Whats the next post-

Everyone should get a free Lap Top and Wi FI

I know fully understand what this accusation means

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

Comment

wireless.

scroll down if you don't understand my point.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Again thats 2 of us that understand the point your trying to make.

anyway no point in falling out over such an insignificant matter

Comment

fingers in ears la la la ffs everyone settle down we'll re-open this tomorrow after I get back from binge drinking trying to mother you two, you have me nerves shattered.

Reopened. No more fighting or I'm turning the car around and we're going home
                            Last edited by trellheim; 25 April 2009, 11:47.
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

most British Army bases have Wi-Fi installed in the accommodation blocks aswell as the leisure / welfare facilities.

every British Army SNCO's mess i have ever stayed in has Wi-Fi - so long as OpSec isn't compromised then whats the big deal?

we even had Wi-Fi in Iraq!

daz...
                              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 May 2009, 12:34. Reason: typo
                              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Wireless???

We cant even get proper WIRED internet access, primary and secondary schools have more internet access than the schools of the defence forces for gods sake. Whether you are learning to repair engines, radios, servers, draw diagrams, make reports, find out new working methods, new solutions, management, leadership, you name it, you need information, most instructors use their own internet at home and bring the data in.

Many jobs dont require internet access, but many jobs do.

If schools can block inappropriate material then the Defence Forces can,
                                if companies can protect their networks from hackers/viruses the Defence Forces can too

Comment

Working...
                                X