DF IT applications for RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF IT applications for RDF

Ok - What I would like the army to have is a Virtual Private Network were users can logged into the Intranet from there home internet connection - provided they have the required training and access credentials
    I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

sorry meant trad wireless.

VPNs won't happen because of the need to airgap the nets. But I would like to see some sort of content distro to authorized users.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
      Ok - What I would like the army to have is a Virtual Private Network were users can logged into the Intranet from there home internet connection - provided they have the required training and access credentials
      As you probably know the DF have an intranet but it can only be accessed from computers on the DF network.

Comment

Were gone off on a bit of a tangent here

What I would like to see is RDF Unit Commanders or RDF Admin Staff having remote access to the DF Intranet so they could access the appropriate systems IMF / PMS etc.. from home and complete the various admin / send DF related emails etc.. and access the files on the Intranet.

Not really a big ask to setup a VPN for this purpose
        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

MOD: Thread spilt

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
          Were gone off on a bit of a tangent here

What I would like to see is RDF Unit Commanders or RDF Admin Staff having remote access to the DF Intranet so they could access the appropriate systems IMF / PMS etc.. from home and complete the various admin / send DF related emails etc.. and access the files on the Intranet.

Not really a big ask to setup a VPN for this purpose
          If we could even get all current RDF locations (that are owned/long term leased) it would greatly help.

However IMF, PMS & UCS are all set up with the PDF in mind, not the RDF.

So for example (as far as I know) PMS allows you to be recorded as having attended a day but doesn't allow you to say if it was a training parade, field day, overnight or FTT?!

Realistically most things wouldn't change, but this would be a major factor.

I'm not an expert on databases by any stretch of the imagination (I could set up a VERY basic one) but there is no reason why the AF 361, AF 43B, LA 141 and probably a few more can't be replaced by a Access database and then just pull reports as required.

What is a bit stupid about the system is, AF xxx has to be signed by CO so it is printed off left on the desk, signed, sent where ever and then inputted again. At least I presume that happens?!

Why not - x y & z documents need to be approved by Unit CO. I presume it is technically possible that those are sent to the final destination via the COs PC. A list appears, he checks them and either approved or not them with a few clicks of the mouse.

Comment

there is an initiative underway on this. Anyone who wants to give serious time/assistance to it please let me know by PM
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
              Not going to happen. The CISN has no connection to the internet, and will never have a connection to the internet.
              why would your Intranet NOT have Internet connectivity?

with the right firewall, gateways and system policies in place then what's the problem?

i'm sure some other sceptic probably said the same with the advent of the radio - military comms will never be sent over wireless!?

we have had our restricted networks connected to the Internet for years in the British Army.

RGJ
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

with the right firewall, gateways and system policies in place then what's the problem?

i'm sure some other sceptic probably said the same with the advent of the radio - military comms will never be sent over wireless!?

we have had our restricted networks connected to the Internet for years in the British Army.

RGJ
                From looking at this as an outsider - I suspect this is a question of the best use of limited available manpower in the DF with responsibility for IT.

I've dabbled in setting up different web facing servers for various tasks over the years. It takes some effort staying on top of security alerts/zero day exploits even if you're just running a basic website host, nevermind a network hosting restricted documents.

Added to that you have to pay attention to log files and general traffic to see if anything untoward is going on. Without question a DF linked domain will attract attention from hackers/black hats/curious folk and they'll have fun trying to sniff traffic and gain access.

Running something like this requires people to set it up, test it, constantly monitor it and constantly maintain it. I have to wonder whether the DF have simply decided its not desirable to be diverting people from existing day to day IT/Comms/C3/Sig tasks to work on something like this - and not worthwhile hiring new bods either.

Having a physically separate intranet greatly simplifies security imo.

I'm sure it'll wind up eventually coming on stream though

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post

RGJ
                  If the hackers can't get near the intranet, it is impossible for them to hack it.

Comment

Yeah, it's a huge expense in terms of time, money and people. The US Army made a huge push towards autmation in both active and reserve, every Soldier is issued an email address and web account. The convienience, especially in the reserves, is brilliant. I can get online from home, look up regs, forms, sent emails, the lot. Everyone has storage for collaboration (fairly limited), web mail, in many ways it's like a giant intranet. However, now it is moving towards access only by a computer with a card reader. Our new ID cards have a chip embedded in them, password has to change every so often, so the security posture changes.

All the data bases are on a seperate intranet and can't be accessed from the outside. Having sais that, there is some insane number of hacking attempts on US DoD systems every day, and a lot of effort spent combating that.

The automation is nice though. With digital signatures, I can sign a form at home, send it to my commander, he digitally signs it and sent it on. That aspect is brilliant, less paper, faster.

In Ireland, after the initial investment, I think this owuld be a good return on the money as it makes things more efficient and can make the reserves more vaild by providing connectivity. It's a lot cheaper to have a commanders meeting on a 30 minute conference call than bringing everyone in to the barracks for a meeting.

A

Comment

Working...
                    X