iPhone to go on issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone to go on issue?

Plenty of other potential apps you could make for military use but there is no way an iPhone is rugged enough to survive long.

No money available!

Also is there service all over Chad for example?

Comment

You don't need service for every app

Comment

The Airsoft bling bling crowd would love it.

Comment

If its a sniper app. which it looks like, it's not exactly gonna b bet around the place if it ever made it into field. However the chance DF buyin u an iPhone wud b the chances of a RDF ranger wing!! Not gonna happen

A lot of posers will have them though i say at shooting ranges & airsoft days out.. LoL
          Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

No chance an iphone would last if you started firing rounds through that. Hell, even flashlights need to be ruggedised to be rigidly attached to rifles for any length of time.

Comment

Seem's there already in use in the field:

To help soldiers make sense of data from drones, satellites and ground sensors, the U.S. military now issues the iPod Touch.

StrategyPage.com The Online Magazine of the Art and Science of War and Intelligence. We cover current military technology trends, conflicts in all arenas of the world, and military policy.

You don't see many handhelds on the range here but allot of people use software to build distance and windage tables then print and laminate them.

Comment

well i know recruits in the British Army are issued Nintendo DS's with a special package of training material loaded on to them.

obviously they don't take them into the field but it's a good example of utilising COTS (Civillian Off The Shelf) products for the good and benefit of the soldier.

if it works - do it!
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

XBoxes controllers are used to fly UAV's and there now using FPS games as recruitment tools.

Comment

yes muzzle you are right.

i was on a course in a Royal Naval base a few months back and saw that some of their crew are issued PSP's loaded with a special application which can control certian systems from anywhere in the ship by 'tapping in' to the network points dotted all over the ship.

another fine example of using whats out there.

PDA's / i-Phones / Blackberry's may be issued but they will never make it into the field without being 'ruggedised' as part of some extortionate defence contract just to make it 'soldier-proof'.

they are fine for Staff Officers but need to be properly encrypted (Blackberry's are on issue to people in certian roles in the British Army).

scan...
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
                      XBoxes controllers are used to fly UAV's and there now using FPS games as recruitment tools.
                      In fairness now, FPS games have been used for recruitment for the past 7/8 years by the Yanks.

And the last 5 years by a number of Terrorist Organisations.
                      I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                        In fairness now, FPS games have been used for recruitment for the past 7/8 years by the Yanks.

And the last 5 years by a number of Terrorist Organisations.
                        True but i'm referring to them being used in recruitment offices to get people in the door as opposed to Americas Army and the like. There was an article about it recently.

Comment

Working...
                        X