Ainm as gaeilge????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ainm as gaeilge????

Hey all, I am a newbie here. This is my first post.

I am in the RDF and I wanted to know is it against the regs to have a name tag as Gaeilge? And likewise having my name as Gaeilge because I use it as Gaeilge everywehre else.

I haven't been issued my name tag yet but when I get it I would like it as Gaeilge. My name on my birth cert is in english but I went to an Irish speaking school and I use my name as Gaeilge for everything else.

I have been told two different things in relation to this. I have been told that I have to use my name as it appears on my birth cert on the nominal roll. I was told we aren't in "the irish speaking company".
    But another NCO said I can have it and that nothing is wrong with doing it.
    And I wasn't contradicting what the other NCO told me, but just that I was told by someone else who is an NCO that you can do it.

I wanted to know can I get my name as Gaeilge on the roll and on my name tag. I haven't seen anyone else though with a name tag as Gaeilge, so I am not sure if it is allowed or not.

But my thinking on it is that we are in the Irish army, all commands are issued as Gaeilge, so why can't you have your name as Gaeilge.
    I am not being a smart arse on this either, but I think its a good question.

Can anyone help?

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
    I haven't seen anyone else though with a name tag as Gaeilge, so I am not sure if it is allowed or not.
    I have. I'm also reasonably sure that person actually uses their name in English for other stuff...
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
      I have been told two different things in relation to this. I have been told that I have to use my name as it appears on my birth cert on the nominal roll. I was told we aren't in "the irish speaking company".
      Are there any Irish speaking companies left? (official ones I mean, not ones where there's an Irish speaking clique who think they're great). I know that there used to be one in 20 Bn, but it didn't survive the reorg.

Comment

But my thinking on it is that we are in the Irish army, all commands are issued as Gaeilge, so why can't you have your name as Gaeilge.
        I am not being a smart arse on this either, but I think its a good question

indeed it is.. haven't seen it done except by those who use it as a native tongue. Reckon you would have to have enlisted under the Irish version of your name to qualify to wear it in Irish, nice concept all the same

welcome aboard.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

As far as I am aware your Nametag will come to the Unit as it appears in the Nominal Role. if you were to buy one yourself though, I doubt anyone would mind too much.
          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

As far as I know you can use the as gaeilge as your name at the time of enlistment (ie put Sean ..... isn't of John on your forms).

The name tag you will be issued will be what every it says on the nominal roll.

Comment

I'd imagine names on the roll can be changed? Seeing as people get married and so on...
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

That's the thing though. I want to have my name on the roll as Gaeilge and I want a name tag the same too.

I was wondering if it is possible, and I am fluent too from school and the compulsory trips to the Gaeltacht too.

Comment

You may apply to Director Admin in writing through the chain of command

Comment

The official policy is that if you use the name as your name in real life the army will accede.

For example if you only sign up to the Army as Sean O Murchu and you're known to the taxman and your employer as the same - all is well

However if you're Johnny Murphy to your boss in civvy street. then the army take a different view.

This became policy a few years ago.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

What if you get your birth cert amended to its Irish version.This would allow you to have your passport change to its Irish version hence your name would be used in Irish on all official documentation
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I have a n Irish surname on my passport. And likewise for my tax certs and all that.

But i have found out that I might be waiting a while to get a name tag anyway. So I will look into it.

Comment

There should be no problem. Plenty of fellows in our unit (which includes Gaeltacht areas, but far from all of the people involved are from the Gaeltacht) use the Irish form of their names on their name-tags, and I doubt they were all registered at birth with the Irish form. The rule for passports is that if you can show evidence of use of the Irish form of your name you can get your passport in this form no matter what is on your birth cert - I would imagine that the same can be used to amend the nominal roll (if necessary) and get a name-tag with the Irish form. Go n-éiri leat!

Comment

There is an article in Todays Sunday Times

about changing ones name
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Yes you can get a name tag done in the irish version of your surname.

And in relation to waiting for it, that seems to be the way it goes for a name tag though in the RDF. But if you do buy one yourself, so long as it is green and black then you shouldn't be in the wrong.
                              Unless you come across someone who is being particular and over-fussy in relation to it. But, by and large, you should be fine with buying your own.

But remember though, as a recruit with a name tag, chances are you will be one of a small few. Which will mean that an NCO will remember your name before everyone else. Which may lead to you being "volunteered" more so than others.

There is a link to a few sites on this site in the FAQ section too by the way, if that helps.

I am not 100% sure of this, but was/is there not a course that was available to memebrs of the DF (both reservists and PDF) who were interested in learning the cupla focal a year or two ago?
                              Something to do with promoting the irish language and all that.

Anyone know about that? I don't think it is done anymore (bit of a shame that) but I think it was a course run a year or two back. But don't quote me on that.

Oh, and well done on being one of the recruits that managed to get in this year too by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X