Defence Forces Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces Day

In light of our nearest neighbours commitment to her armed forces on the 27th of June.

I have begun to reflect on my own situation as devote public servant within the

defence forces and indeed my colleagues in the wider defence community.

My believe is that for those who serve the Irish state with honour and

distinction in all its various forms - both armed and unarmed should

be bestowed a special day of recognition amongst the public and indeed

members of Government for their sacrafice and loyalty to the Irish

state and most importanty to it's people.

However Would a concept like this take off.

Discuss!!

Its about time the civil service got the recognition it deserves
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Think of the cost!!!!

Comment

i love the way every new threads' first replies usually drop straight to the piss take level!!!

seriously though, a good idea. i'd go further to say it should also include the gardai and other emergency services, fire, ambulance, coastguard, etc. and should be part of a national independence day style parade.

we don't actually have a proper national day to recognise our state and the people that founded it.
        before people jump off i know there is the 1916 memorial day and national memorial day for service personnel but they are much smaller affairs and quite somber in tone.

yes we have st. patricks day, but that is a religious day turned into a drinking session. and maybe a bit irrelevent to a modern country like us now.

perhaps a national day celebrating the states' foundation combined with the memerial services for service personnel, etc. during the day?
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
          perhaps a national day celebrating the states' foundation combined with the memerial services for service personnel, etc. during the day?
          The problem with celebrating the State's foundation is that there are so many dates to choose from, and the choice is full of political problems. For example, options include:

Proclamation of the Republic, 24 April 1916
          First meeting of Dáil Éireann (declaration of independence), 21 January 1919
          Truce ending War of Independence, 11 July 1921
          Conclusion of Treaty, 6 December 1921
          Ratification of Treaty by Dáil Éireann, 7 January 1922
          Entry into force of Treaty (establishment of Irish Free State), 6 December 1922
          Entry into force of Constitution, 29 December 1937
          Entry into force of the Republic of Ireland Act, 18 April 1949

And for the Defence Forces, another date that could be added is the formation of the Irish Volunteers (remembered on our uniforms by our cap badge and the letters "IV" on our buttons) - this was 25 November 1913 (first public meeting).

Take your pick!

Comment

valid point passerby, i would tend towards a national day based on either the easter rising commemoration day (as this is established and traditionally and historically recognised as the pivotal event starting the road to independence) or a date around the establishment of the free state (some of the events you list happened after the states independence - constitution, declaration of a republic, etc.).
            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

The Defence Forces, serving the State?

Every tax payer in this country serves the state.

Soldiers, like the rest of us, "serve the state" by paying taxes and doing what they chose to do, their job.

Do people join the DF to serve the state or to put money in their pockets?

Comment

Some serve the State more than others

do you seriously consider that the likes of Sean Fitzptrick has given the state the same

service as the ordinary Soldier.
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

BTW X Ray one

if your picking a day

pick it in the summer- I have a pain in my nuts doing GOH's in the freezing and wet weather
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    BTW X Ray one

if your picking a day

pick it in the summer- I have a pain in my nuts doing GOH's in the freezing and wet weather
                    I second that

Comment

Probably not a good time to look for this during an economic downturn

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Think of the cost!!!!
                        haha! youre right there! and of course youd get the ones bangin on about "how we're a neutral nation" and "sure, ireland dosent even need an army".

but then you get the barstool republicans calling us "free state w*nkers"

we cant really win, can we?
                        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                        He put a bullet through his brain.
                        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                          haha! youre right there! and of course youd get the ones bangin on about "how we're a neutral nation" and "sure, ireland dosent even need an army".

but then you get the barstool republicans calling us "free state w*nkers"

we cant really win, can we?

Every wonder why barstool rePUblican call us the Free state ? Free dole, Free house,
                          Free medical card, Free bus travel, Free school books, Free childrens allowance, etc.

Comment

That's a great idea. Unfortunately i don't think it would get much support. I recently met some people from letterkenny who didn't even know we had an army

Comment

If it was to get off the ground and be supported then I would say that Easter Monday would be the best day to make it happen.

Given the Easter Rising in 1916 is commemorated every year. Who gives a toss about the Shinners and all them.
                              If it was to be rolled out every year, then why not that day? Tie it in with an acknowledgment of the Irish Volunteers at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X