X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF Holidays

Does anyone know what they represent?

I know one is the National Day of Cemmoration

To the best of my knowledge DF holidays are there to compensate members of the PDF for the fact that we are not entitled to Bank holidays as the rest of the workforce are.
    Having said that i am open to correction on this.GH and HH might have some insight on this?
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
      To the best of my knowledge DF holidays are there to compensate members of the PDF for the fact that we are not entitled to Bank holidays as the rest of the workforce are.
      Having said that i am open to correction on this.GH and HH might have some insight on this?
      Do you get bank holidays? There is extra duty money for bank holidays!

I just looked at the Act and yes the DF & Gardai are exempt!

Comment

We dont get bank holidays.
        Thats why we have DF holidays
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The normal bank holidays are counted as Army holidays. In addition there's one each in May, July and August respectively commemorating the executions of the 1916 leaders, the Truce of 1921 and the deaths of Michael Collins and Arthur Griffith in 1922.
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Just found them in the 2009 diary:
            May (TBA) - 1916 Cemmemoration Day
            13 July
            17 August

Comment

Found out this morning the National Day of Cemmoration is the Sunday closest to the 11th July (the anniversary of the truce of the War of Independance).

There are 13 DF holidays:

1 January
              17 March
              Good Friday
              Easter Monday
              May Bank Holiday
              1916 Commemoration Day
              June Bank Holiday
              11 July (National Day of Commemoration)
              August Bank Holiday
              15 August
              October Bank Holiday
              Christmas Day
              St.Stephens Day

Comment

Only problem with DF holidays is that if they fall on Saturday you don't get the Monday after off!! If it falls on the Sunday you do get the Monday off. There were a couple of mistakes in this year's calendar. So because 11 July and 15 August fall on Saturday's we aren't getting them off!!

Comment

Originally posted by cooley View Post
                  Only problem with DF holidays is that if they fall on Saturday you don't get the Monday after off!! If it falls on the Sunday you do get the Monday off. There were a couple of mistakes in this year's calendar. So because 11 July and 15 August fall on Saturday's we aren't getting them off!!
                  Haven't you heard that your pay is 50% higher than the private sector workers. There are electricians and CEOs of banks literally starving while you swan around demanding a day off. Jeez.
                  sigpic
                  Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                  red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Technically, yes we are getting them off, because saturdays are officially still considered working days. And always will be because if the army week is officially shortened to 5 days then they will have to pay us sunday/bank holiday rates for saturday duties.

Its a balls that we dont get the monday off but i'd much rather work those two mondays than work every saturday!

Comment

But there is more duty money for DF holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                        i'd much rather work those two mondays than work every saturday!
                        I like your positive outlook.

Comment

I like your positive outlook.
                          Is it the sceptic in me or do i detect a hint of sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                            Is it the sceptic in me or do i detect a hint of sarcasm?
                            No.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              We dont get bank holidays.
                              Thats why we have DF holidays
                              In Ireland members of the Defence Forces like all employees are entitled to Bank Holidays. Extra duty money compensates for working on a bank holiday. Civilians working on a bank holiday get over-time pay and possibly a day in lieu.

Defence Forces Holidays are days of commemoration only, they were not intended to be days off rather instead; a day to commemorate events/people.

Me likes the day off

Comment

Working...
                              X