DF Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    What is a "mobile" day and how does it differ from normal leave?
    I'm gonna hazard a guess that it allows them to 'carry-over' days that they didnt take, into the following year....

But I am guessing!
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

"the DF dont work mon- fri 9-5." And I thought it was only me that didn't work!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        What is a "mobile" day and how does it differ from normal leave?
        it means that our annual leave of 38 days (excluding weekends) includes 8 days Bank / Public Holidays which we do NOT have to take on designated Bank / Public Holidays - it's our leave so we choose when we take it.

so if i am duty or it doesn't suit me to take a long weekend when everyone else is, i just put a normal days leave in for an alternate day or i can save that day and just add it onto a longer period if i want an extended time off. if i do want that particular bank holiday - again i have to put that day's leave in. it is a much fairer system and was designed with soldiers on operations in mind who are disadvantaged as they often miss many Bank / Public Holidays while they are away on tour - with 'mobile' days they can use those extra days leave at anytime they wish before they go / when they return. they are just normal days leave like the other 30 days we get.

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
        I'm gonna hazard a guess that it allows them to 'carry-over' days that they didnt take, into the following year....

But I am guessing!
        this is not the case turbocalves - no matter what our entitlement is during the year (our normal 38 days PLUS any Post Operational Tour Leave (POTL) or Re-Location Leave or REN Leave) - by default we are allowed carry over 15 days of unused leave into the following year. there are occasions where some soldiers will have much more than 15 days to bring across and in these circumstances a letter from the soldiers OC is required to authorise more than 15 days to be carried across.

i've been told we are getting an extra days leave next year due to Prince William and Kate's big day.

it's a good and fair system.

oh - we don't have such things as 'sick days', we are soldiers - no such things as 'calling in sick'!
        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 21 December 2010, 11:19.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          i've been told we are getting an extra days leave next year due to Prince William and Kate's big day.
          How many hundreds of soldiers will be involved? Quite a few I would say

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            How many hundreds of soldiers will be involved? Quite a few I would say
            absolutely no idea Dev, perhaps 2 Guards battalions and some Cavalry - that's the domain of the Household Division and those involved in ceremonials in London at the time, aswell as those involved in security and other background duties concerning the event.

but given the fact all of our days leave including bank holidays are mobile - those on duty that day will just take that extra day off whenever it suits them.

even though i may still be in Canada on the day, i will still be given that days leave to take whenever i like so i am not disadvantaged - the same goes for every other soldier, we all get the extra day off to take when we please if we do not wish to or are unable to take it on the day it falls.

it's a very fair system.
            Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 22 December 2010, 01:24.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

but given the fact all of our days leave including bank holidays are mobile - those on duty that day will just take that extra day off whenever it suits them.
              And you slated our resting off system!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                And you slated our resting off system!
                too right i did.

why do you need a day off after a guard duty?

you don't - that's why it is a ridiculous system.

an extra bank holiday has been declared for the UK for that day of Prince William's wedding.

why should a soldier deployed to Afghanistan be denied a day off that his counterparts in the UK receive?

he shouldn't - that's why it is a very fair system.
                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 22 December 2010, 11:16.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

If anyone has an An Cosantoir diary with the upcoming Army holiday dates in, can they please let me know what they are for 2011 ? Thanks.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

all i can say is if you want these days leave Danno while they are still there is:

"book 'em Danno"
                    Its times like this were I wish IMO had a "Thanks / Like" button! Bravo.

As a matter of interest, what is the annual leave in the DF? And is there a limit on how long / when you can take em or is that at the discretion of the CO?
                    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Fully at the discretion of the unit

Pages 30 - 35

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        If anyone has an An Cosantoir diary with the upcoming Army holiday dates in, can they please let me know what they are for 2011 ? Thanks.
                        May (TBA) - 1916 Cemmemoration Day (not sure if this is a DF holiday)
                        11 July - DF Holiday
                        15 Aug - DF Holiday
                        27 Dec - DF Holiday

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                          As a matter of interest, what is the annual leave in the DF? And is there a limit on how long / when you can take em or is that at the discretion of the CO?
                          28 days for new entrants, 29 with more than 5 years service, and 30 days with 12 years service.
                          For long term leave you must also take leave for the week ends, so 2 weeks in Bella Midena will cost you the full 14 days.
                          Leave should be taken within 1 year but a maximum of 19 days can be carried to the next year
                          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

04 may, a wednesday, for the commemoration.

Chaplains are appointed to a Military Installation following consultation with the Head Chaplain and after approval by the Minister for Defence.

Comment

Rex do you know if its an Army Holiday?

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                Rex do you know if its an Army Holiday?
                                All I can tell you is, yes usually, but DF holidays are a movable feast, so, if they want to, they may move it closer to a weekend
                                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Working...
                                X