Greatcoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
    I was issued a bullswool greatcoat in 1979. (warning warning old person alert warning warning)

Vickers step forward.
    When I first enlisted, I was jealous of the NCOs who had those bullswool greatcoats
    - llooked bloody warm for those cold winter nights
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
      If you are interested Barry I'll bring them (3 bullswool) into work tomorrow. Call in to collect.
      Immaterial - he won't be allowed to wear it, he'll be improperly dressed

Or has he recently gained a pip - not from what I' ve seen !!!
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Yeah I still have my old bulls wool coat issued in 1977 pity it wont fit me any more , they were the business on the square in Collins Bks on cold nights
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Bohs till I die

Comment

Thats funny....

there is now a tender out for 3600 male & 900 female overcoats (other ranks)!

Comment

PDF..not on the RDF scale of issue any more..but I have one,, green epaulettes included..wore it once.the most useless bit of kit ever.

the NS old style short heavy over coat were the dogs bollocks...
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              PDF..not on the RDF scale of issue any more..but I have one,, green epaulettes included..wore it once.the most useless bit of kit ever.

the NS old style short heavy over coat were the dogs bollocks...
              I am not familiar with the NS OSSH overcoat, but the bullswool great coat was, as the name suggests, great.

As an extra blanket in a cold, unheated, billet it was invaluable.

Also it looked the bees knees correctly folded on top of your bed roll, ready for inspection
              "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

I am not familiar with the NS OSSH overcoat....
                Something similar in size and material to the "donkey jackets" the County Council guys
                got years ago - those black ones with the leather strip across the upper back area

Obviously, the NS one wouldn't have such a strip....

Comment

Something similar in size and material to the "donkey jackets" the County Council guys
                  got years ago - those black ones with the leather strip across the upper back area
                  In fairness not a bad description but the lapels were buttoned back..heavy wool design possibly as per bulls wool although I'm not familiar with that material , it hung to mid thigh height and had a nice cut to it. With a change of buttons they were very popular in civvy street as they resemble the old style 'Crombie Coat'

As far as I know at the time they were the most expensive piece of kit available to enlisted , cost price on replacement being IRĀ£70...and that was in 1987... how do I know..I had to have one replaced..but in fairness 'Ted The Red' waived the charge.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Greatcoats

If you are interested Barry I'll bring them (3 bullswool) into work tomorrow. Call in to collect.
                    Hello vickers! if you have any of those bullswool coats left I'll buy them off you. What size are they?

Comment

Originally posted by bq300466 View Post
                      Hello vickers! if you have any of those bullswool coats left I'll buy them off you. What size are they?
                      Sorry, none left.
                      PS Welcome to the board.
                      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Working...
                      X