X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatcoats

[MOD:Moved from "Defence Force Day"]

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    pick it in the summer- I have a pain in my nuts doing GOH's in the freezing and wet weather
    at least you lot get greatcoats - there's nothing quite like November cold going through your paper thin tunic.

Originally posted by kermit
    Greatcoats are for officers only. I would have expected you to know this. The other ranks SD1 jacket is made from the same material as the tunic.
    The point he's making is that RDF enlistees are not even being issued these in latter times....
    Last edited by FMolloy; 21 May 2009, 23:51.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Were they ever?
      Yes (FCA)

Dáil Éireann - Volume 413 - 26 November, 1991
      Written Answers. - FCA Uniforms.
      Mr. Allen Mr. Allen
      200. Mr. Allen asked the Minister for Defence the reason FCA officers are not [953] permitted to purchase Irish Army combat uniforms through proper channels, when they have long been permitted to purchase dress uniforms.
      Mr. Allen Mr. Allen
      201. Mr. Allen asked the Minister for Defence if it is the policy of his Department not to issue recruits to the FCA with all elements of working dress at the time of joining, when some have to wait up to one year to get a pullover or if this is some local policy within specific commands; and if the latter, if he will outline his proposals to rectify this matter.

Minister for Defence (Mr. V. Brady) Vincent Brady
      Minister for Defence (Mr. V. Brady): I propose to take Questions Nos. 200 and 201 together.
      Defence Force regulations provide that personnel enlisting in An Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil will be issued with a working dress tunic and trousers together with a sweater, shirts, boots, cap and other accessories and that on completion of 12 months' service members will be further allocated a greatcoat, tunic and trousers. I am advised by the military authorities that they are not aware of any undue delay in the issue of these items. Provision is made for the issue of protective clothing to FCA personnel in certain circumstances.
      The question of the issue of combat uniforms to members of the FCA has been examined on a number of occasions in the context of the military duties which they are required to undertake from time to time. However, it was decided not to issue combat uniforms to the FCÁ as the incidence of military duties for which such uniforms would be appropriate was not regarded as sufficient to warrant the substantial cost involved in their issue.

Comment

Were they ever?
        Yes, I was issued one more recently (2000/01)
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Did they not have just No1s at that stage?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Did they not have just No1s at that stage?
            You' ve gotta be joking. I was issued a greatcoat to go with my SD No 1 when I first enlisted (1989). It was one of the "communist" ones (red epaulettes)

The next one, I got as mentioned above
            Last edited by FMolloy; 21 May 2009, 23:51.

Comment

I meant No1s, no working dress?, no combats?

Comment

I was issued a bullswool greatcoat in 1979. (warning warning old person alert warning warning)

Vickers step forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
                  I was issued a bullswool greatcoat in 1979. (warning warning old person alert warning warning)

Vickers step forward.
                  When I retired and was handing back my kit I discovered that I had 3 greatcoats - great extra blanket on a cold night (warning old old person alert), but I never got issued wet gear.
                  "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Suddenly realised, are we slightly off topic?
                    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Screw the topic, buckshee greatcoats you say?

Comment

Seventeen years and i never got a great coat

Has anyone been issued one recently? are they on our scale of issue anymore?
                        Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                          but I never got issued wet gear.
                          They are issued to stop people from getting wet.

Comment

If you are interested Barry I'll bring them (3 bullswool) into work tomorrow. Call in to collect.
                            Last edited by Vickers; 21 May 2009, 02:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
                              They are issued to stop people from getting wet.
                              As youi rightly suggest, I was always wet

Comment

Working...
                              X