PDF/RDF co-operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF/RDF co-operation

I would be interested to hear from the RDF members of the forum, how they find working with and doing courses with their PDF counterparts.

Are PDF units helpful when it comes to loaning equiptment and gear for training excercises/ camps?

And in particular i'd like to know how each corps views their own relevant schools?

It depends on the unit.

If it is PDF doing stuff to help RDF..... (varies depending on the unit)!

If it is RDF doing stuff to help PDF (they are fairly supportive & positive)

Also you would find that most corps units have a good relationship with the relevant school

Comment

I know the RDF are generally only too happy to help out PDF units on excercises/by providing 'enemy troops' etc. but i often gott the impression from speaking to RDF guys i know that the PDF dont reciprocate too often. Any members have expierience of this?

In my own unit, we have a very good working relationship with the RDF and we are only too happy to help them out whenever we can as we know we will be looking for something from them in the very near future.

Comment

yeah it all depends on who youre working with though.
        i personally find that they do look down their noses at us alot of the time though.
        that said, there are a few clowns about that could do with a bollickin!
        the cadre staff are great
        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
        He put a bullet through his brain.
        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
          yeah it all depends on who youre working with though.
          i personally find that they do look down their noses at us alot of the time though.
          I can only speak from a Privates persepctive in my Unit but for the majority of PDF Privates in my place the RDF would be the last thing on our minds so why bother looking down our noses at them? Especially since we'd very rarely deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
            I can only speak from a Privates persepctive in my Unit but for the majority of PDF Privates in my place the RDF would be the last thing on our minds so why bother looking down our noses at them? Especially since we'd very rarely deal with them.
            ah, sorry, i meant the ones that deal with us when we're on camps etc! dont get me wrong, the majority are grand, but you do get a few that think we're worth dirt cause we're only part timers

Comment

ive being instructed by and instructed members of the PDF and im in the RDF. found them the soundest, treated me with nothing but respect and courtesy. once they can see you know your stuff and are willing to put in the time they do on the courses they treat you like equals.
              I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                I know the RDF are generally only too happy to help out PDF units on excercises/by providing 'enemy troops' etc. but i often gott the impression from speaking to RDF guys i know that the PDF dont reciprocate too often. Any members have expierience of this?

In my own unit, we have a very good working relationship with the RDF and we are only too happy to help them out whenever we can as we know we will be looking for something from them in the very near future.
                I spent loads of my P.D.F. time when attached to a Reserve Unit being the "enemy" and enjoyed it thoroughly.

It all depends on what manpower is available in the P.D.F. Cadre of the Unit holding Exercises or in associated P.D.F. units.

Arseh*les are to be found in all Units regardless of P.D.F. or R.D.F. Units.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                  Arseh*les are to be found in all Units regardless of P.D.F. or R.D.F. Units.

Connaught Stranger.
                  true enough there, you get a load of RDF ones with the complex that now they have a uniform and a steyr, they're hard as nails and talk a woeful ammount of sh1te!

Comment

true enough there, you get a load of RDF ones with the complex that now they have a uniform and a steyr, they're hard as nails and talk a woeful ammount of sh1te!
                    Too true I have heard the Sentence "We are just as good, if not better, than PDF" uttered way too many times by some people. (The people who said it too are generally quite sh1t!!!)
                    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                      Too true I have heard the Sentence "We are just as good, if not better, than PDF" uttered way too many times by some people. (The people who said it too are generally quite sh1t!!!)
                      ah dont chat! and youre right, its always the ones who cant march to save themselves! you get ones sayin "my uniforms better than that PDF guy's over there" too! usually the ones who seem to think they are nailed-on on for best recruit and never get it!

Comment

In my experience there are 2 types of PDF, in regards to dealing with the RDF. Cadre and soldier.
                        in my dealing with the PDF Soldier, they are more than happy to impart all their knowledge and experience on the reservist, once they see interest and enthusaism.
                        I have worked integrated into a PDF unit structure, my skill level at that appointment was the same as a PDF soldier with the same courses done. And nothing less was expected, no allowences would be made "because i was a reservist".
                        They judge you not by the colour of your beret(or other hat) but by the rank you hold. If you are a Corporal or Sergeant, they expect you to act with the according skills.

The Cadre on th eother hand will only always view you as a reservist, someone to tell war stories to, and share with you things they learnt back when they went into combat wearing a tie. And in their mind, nothing has changed since. There are very very few exceptions, and for the most part, these are the ones who are rarely about to train reservists, as they are too busy doing career courses of their own, or overseas.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          In my experience there are 2 types of PDF, in regards to dealing with the RDF. Cadre and soldier.
                          in my dealing with the PDF Soldier, they are more than happy to impart all their knowledge and experience on the reservist, once they see interest and enthusaism.
                          I have worked integrated into a PDF unit structure, my skill level at that appointment was the same as a PDF soldier with the same courses done. And nothing less was expected, no allowences would be made "because i was a reservist".
                          They judge you not by the colour of your beret(or other hat) but by the rank you hold. If you are a Corporal or Sergeant, they expect you to act with the according skills.

The Cadre on th eother hand will only always view you as a reservist, someone to tell war stories to, and share with you things they learnt back when they went into combat wearing a tie. And in their mind, nothing has changed since. There are very very few exceptions, and for the most part, these are the ones who are rarely about to train reservists, as they are too busy doing career courses of their own, or overseas.
                          I can honestly say our cadre staff are excellent, they are always at the training nights and always do their best to get us kit, norwegians, rank slides, name tags, pretty much anything they can give us, they do

Comment

I can honestly say our cadre staff are excellent, they are always at the training nights and always do their best to get us kit, norwegians, rank slides, name tags, pretty much anything they can give us, they do
                            I concur, mine are very good too.
                            I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

I was a reserve NCO and I found the vast majority of PDF lads dead on always willing to inpart knowledge on ya when they are detailed to do it. If they are detailed to other duties then they do those and get the job done, if you are chatting with them afterwards sure they will chat.
                              The word I would use is professional(the majority are).
                              The only ones I have ever had any bad run ins I've had have been the barrack rats, the ones who have never been on a duty outside of delivering the post for the past 20 years. Those generally are twits but what can you do you get them everywhere.
                              As for interaction the best example I can give is one of the last courses I did. This was a PDF mortar course, I was a DC and NCO and expected to ask as such my crew had PDF and RDF in it, we worked as a team got the got the job done, if they needed a kick in the arse the got it no matter what colour beret they had. The last thing the course Sergeant said was get a comission or a thrid stripe you idiot which I took as a great compliment.
                              Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Working...
                              X