DF bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF bands

I would say keeping the army bands is not a bad idea.

A question about that though - is it open for members of the RDF to become members of the bands? Its not as if you are talking about weapons and so on.

My thinking on this would be, if a person was good enough and talented enough to play the instrument, then they should be in the band if they wanted to be.
    Assuming, that it is not open to members of the RDF to be members.

I am sure that there are a few members who can play instruments in the org.

The bands work full time. Just because some RDF lad can play an instrument doesn't mean he can also march while playing it. Adding RDF to the bands would be a waste of their time, and reduce the quality of their performances.

Comment

what performances

just becaus e you have a CD of them playing akey break heart and time after time by Cyndi Lauper
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

The question about the band though, don't people PAY to see them play?

Does what they earn in appearances not balance out the cost of their upkeep?

Whereas the horseys participate at events where they have to pay to participate...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          The question about the band though, don't people PAY to see them play?

Does what they earn in appearances not balance out the cost of their upkeep?

Whereas the horseys participate at events where they have to pay to participate...
          Yeah, they played City Halla while back and tickets were in the Region of €20. However that may have been for Charity!
          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            The bands work full time. Just because some RDF lad can play an instrument doesn't mean he can also march while playing it. Adding RDF to the bands would be a waste of their time, and reduce the quality of their performances.
            Not necessarily Barry - In my youth I was a tuba player in a marching band. A small scale affair mind you that was never too serious, but we played at lots of intercounty and championship matches etc.

But there are some non professional bands that put so much effort into their music and marching that they could be described as semi professional and would fit into the Defence Forces band without too much problem However, with the amount of time they'd spend practising, to maintain this standard you'd cease to have a functioning army reservist. I don't think it would be humanly possible to do both and maintain a job.

Comment

Having marched behind both civilian and military bands, there must be different tempos played by civilians because they are a bitch to march behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                Having marched behind both civilian and military bands, there must be different tempos played by civilians because they are a bitch to march behind.
                I take it that you march at a set number of paces a minute (if so what) and the conductors of the DF bands score their music accordingly. Civvy bands just tend to go with whats on the sheet music in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  The bands work full time. Just because some RDF lad can play an instrument doesn't mean he can also march while playing it...
                  The former 10 Inf Bn had a Pipe Band (drwan from members of the Coy
                  based in New Ross, AFAIR)

Am presuming they are now in 33 Inf Bn.

An Cosantóir did a feature on them a few years ago.

The funding for same DID NOT come from the public purse, before anyone asks

If anyone on the board can give any updated information on this band, 'twould be
                  interesting to hear about it.........
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                    I take it that you march at a set number of paces a minute (if so what) and the conductors of the DF bands score their music accordingly. Civvy bands just tend to go with whats on the sheet music in front of them.
                    IIRC it's 120 BPM, but that could be double time. If not, then it's 90 BPM.
                    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                      IIRC it's 120 BPM, but that could be double time. If not, then it's 90 BPM.
                      120 BPM is the pace for the Quick March
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by mallen83 View Post
                        I would say keeping the army bands is not a bad idea.

A question about that though - is it open for members of the RDF to become members of the bands? Its not as if you are talking about weapons and so on.

My thinking on this would be, if a person was good enough and talented enough to play the instrument, then they should be in the band if they wanted to be.
                        Assuming, that it is not open to members of the RDF to be members.

I am sure that there are a few members who can play instruments in the org.
                        I forgot to mention that the cost of a musical instruments, in particular of the "heavies" of the band such as the tuba's and euphoniums is probably greater than that of personal weapon which were bought in bulk quite some time ago. The latest AUG's eeem to go for about $2500 in the civilian US market - I'm assuming the Irish AUG's cost quite a bit less due to bulk purchase.

A mid or high end tuba say from the Besson Sovereign range or an equivalent Yamaha model will set you back anything from £6000-10,000 whilst similar spec euphs are anything between £4000-6000. I'd assume the bands are using reasonable cornets etc so probably in the region of £1,500 each for one of those.

I assume the band uniforms aren't cheap either......

Comment

A lot of the musicians are now DEs (even the other ranks)

Defence Forces personnel lead a "Life less Ordinary". All aspects of military life are varied and for each member of the Force each day may bring a new challenge.

The Army is organised on conventional military lines providing a sufficiently flexible structure to carry out all the roles assigned by Government. The Army is a standing force and provides the primary capabilities for joint military operations at home and combined military Peace Support Operations abroad.

I have to say the new No1 band dress does look excellent (c1930s design), especially on a march past of the GPO.

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                            I A mid or high end tuba say from the Besson Sovereign range or an equivalent Yamaha model will set you back anything from £6000-10,000 ......
                            Holy sh1t !!!

Had no idea that the instruments were THAT expensive...

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            I have to say the new No1 band dress does look excellent (c1930s design), especially on a march past of the GPO.
                            Agreed - very gildy looking....

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              Holy sh1t !!!

Had no idea that the instruments were THAT expensive...
                              Yep, they cost that much for good ones anyway and if your going to be providing the music for state functions and welcoming other heads of state one would assume you'd want high end stuff. Of course there's another range again that besson do called prestige which is even more expensive than the "sovereign" range and it was introduced, although I'm not sure whether the bands use those, to be honest they'd probably overkill for anyone who wasn't doing solo's. The prices I have quoted are at the bottom of the range web prices and the higher end of the scale bricks and mortars prices - however there is normally room for some haggling to take place.

Another cost (unless you arrange your own stuff) is sheet music. Normally a community band will buy a pack of sheet music - for each tune they play - typically this costs anything between £15-50 for a particular piece and will have all the necessary bit for each section. At the same time my understanding was that technically everyone is supposed to have an original copy of everything you play. Now most community bands just get around this by photocopying like mad, however in theory and if you were to "respect" copyright etc you'd be running into thousands every year for music alone.
                              Last edited by northie; 10 June 2009, 17:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X