Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DF bands

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Holy sh1t !!!

    Had no idea that the instruments were THAT expensive...



    Agreed - very gildy looking....
    I take it that its

    dearer to buy instruments that are in tune
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

    Comment


    • #17
      Someone once told me that in the unlikely event of a war, army bands role is as stretcher bearers/medical orderlies. True/not true?

      Comment


      • #18
        It is in the British Army (not sure it was ever happened) not sure about here.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          I take it that its

          dearer to buy instruments that are in tune
          Naughty....

          They're not that bad - very good, in fact...

          Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
          Someone once told me that in the unlikely event of a war, army bands role is as stretcher bearers/medical orderlies. True/not true?
          That was my understanding too...
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

          Comment


          • #20
            Only in the Guards Regiment, our bandsmen have no military function..


            Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Only in the Guards Regiment, our bandsmen have no military function..
              2 or 3 sections of Bandsmen and Women over a period of a couple of years

              were trainined in the then CTD (e)

              they were given training in Musketry and first aid

              As far as I can recall there was about 3 lots of 10 bands personnnnns

              over a period of about 3-4 years

              that was back when in the 90's (not 1890's)

              so if still in these musicos would be Sgts /CS's by now
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                2 or 3 sections of Bandsmen and Women over a period of a couple of years

                were trainined in the then CTD (e)

                they were given training in Musketry and first aid

                As far as I can recall there was about 3 lots of 10 bands personnnnns

                over a period of about 3-4 years

                that was back when in the 90's (not 1890's)

                so if still in these musicos would be Sgts /CS's by now
                This was during my time in the Brugha, and one of the girls who was part of that intake told me that they were put through that training, with the depot, on the understanding that if they did not make the standard for the band they would be sent to the 2Bn as 2* soldiers.

                They did have to have a certain standard of musical training, but there was a lot of difference between just playing and achieving the required standard for the DF No.1 Band
                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

                Comment


                • #23
                  on the understanding that if they did not make the standard for the band they would be sent to the 2Bn as 2* soldiers.

                  What a threat- I love it
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by REX View Post
                    This was during my time in the Brugha, and one of the girls who was part of that intake told me that they were put through that training, with the depot, on the understanding that if they did not make the standard for the band they would be sent to the 2Bn as 2* soldiers.

                    They did have to have a certain standard of musical training, but there was a lot of difference between just playing and achieving the required standard for the DF No.1 Band
                    It says to apply on the site you need grade 7...... which isn't easy but for a professional career you'd really be wanting a grade 8. I assume the ladies in question were 7 to start off with.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
                      Someone once told me that in the unlikely event of a war, army bands role is as stretcher bearers/medical orderlies. True/not true?
                      back in '95 it was taught on the fca std inf offrs cse in the mil coll that the 'duty in action' of a bandsman was stretcher bearer (under the control of the bsm)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by northie View Post
                        It says to apply on the site you need grade 7...... which isn't easy but for a professional career you'd really be wanting a grade 8. I assume the ladies in question were 7 to start off with.
                        I think the grade 7 thing is relatively new thing.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          I think the grade 7 thing is relatively new thing.
                          I'm pretty surprised at that. For getting into most orchestras it would be grade 8. I stopped after 5. I wasn't into learning scales etc. FMy favourite march to play with the concert band I played in was "Aces High" - great tuba solo in the middle!
                          Last edited by northie; 12 June 2009, 12:36.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by northie View Post
                            It says to apply on the site you need grade 7...... which isn't easy but for a professional career you'd really be wanting a grade 8. I assume the ladies in question were 7 to start off with.
                            As someone with a tin ear I did not question her on her musical qualifications, it was just a conversation over dinner.
                            CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by REX View Post
                              As someone with a tin ear I did not question her on her musical qualifications, it was just a conversation over dinner.
                              Fair enough i was making more of a comment on the entry criteria than your acquaintance/friend

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Bandsmen in the British Army are no longer used as medics in their war role. They have been re roled into DCA - Decontamination Control Assistants. In a CBRN enviroment they would be used to help construst / run decontamination and other facilities.
                                Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X