Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officers carrying Rifles

Originally posted by REX
    especially in any of the rare situations where an officer would carry a rifle
    A rifle is the personal weapon on all Officers up to the rank of Col.

Originally posted by kermit View Post
    All well and good but in nearly 23 years service the number of times i've seen officers carrying rifles, other than on the range, have been few and far between. Overseas, etc. but that picture looked like it was taken in bks, possibly Mckee

I must fish it out and look again
    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
      All well and good but in nearly 23 years service the number of times i've seen officers carrying rifles, other than on the range, have been few and far between.
      Here's a few....
      Attached Files
      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Hi all,
        Why not? No point training them to use them and then not actually use them, is there? Any perusal of the history books will reveal plenty of anecdotes of officers using standard-issue weapons instead of just pistols.
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
          All well and good but in nearly 23 years service the number of times i've seen officers carrying rifles, other than on the range, have been few and far between. Overseas, etc. but that picture looked like it was taken in bks, possibly Mckee

I must fish it out and look again
          Probably because they didn't need them.

Comment

Are you sure??? I was informed that a rifle was the personal weapon up to Capt., Comdt. above USP. Comdt. dont have to fire ARP on rifle. ( But hey, feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
            Last edited by EL_CAPATIANO; 13 June 2009, 13:25. Reason: insert word
            Lock and load

Comment

Originally posted by EL_CAPATIANO View Post
              Are you sure??? I was informed that a rifle was the personal weapon up to Capt., Comdt. above USP. Comdt. dont have to fire ARP on rifle. ( But hey, feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
              You're wrong.
              sigpic
              Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
              My favourite moment was when the
              red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Gotta love the Irish army approach of having your personal weapon based on your rank, rather than on your appointment, role and the environment that you're operating in.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                  You're wrong.
                  ditto.

I did my last APWT with the rifle. On the fireing point I was between two comdts.

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  Gotta love the Irish army approach of having your personal weapon based on your rank, rather than on your appointment, role and the environment that you're operating in.
                  Don't appointment and rank not often go hand in hand at that level SNCO or SO?
                  ..................................gone are the days when Drivers did the Gustaf and other ptes did the rifle.
                  Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

On my last two trips overseas the Coy commanders carried rifles.I was on an Exercise during the week.All Officers bar the Bn OC and PA capt carried a rifle.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Reluctant though I am to get involved in this conversation

Gotta love the Irish army approach of having your personal weapon based on your rank,...
                      It is and it isn't. If the COS feels the need to carry a rifle there's nothing to stop him doing so.

...rather than on your appointment, role and the environment that you're operating in.
                      Which it is. You wouldn't expect a senior officer to need a rifle. And to be honest he should have better things to do than act as a rifleman. Before the Steyr was introduced some privates' personal weapon was the pistol and some the Gustaf. Even today depending on role some personnel fire different range practices than others, irrespective of rank.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                        Reluctant though I am to get involved in this conversation

It is and it isn't. If the COS feels the need to carry a rifle there's nothing to stop him doing so.

Which it is. You wouldn't expect a senior officer to need a rifle. And to be honest he should have better things to do than act as a rifleman. Before the Steyr was introduced some privates' personal weapon was the pistol and some the Gustaf. Even today depending on role some personnel fire different range practices than others, irrespective of rank.
                        Too right, I was handed a Gustaff sub-machine in Custume Barracks one evening, during Leb-training and told to learn stripping and assembling, as I would be driven over to Longford Barracks the next day to do T.O.E.T. and fire it on the range, the O/C of C. Coy 46th Bn (Commandant Dave Taylor) had decided that all Regimental signalers would be carrying the Gustaf due to having to carry the PRC 77 Set on foot patrols.

Next morning I was driven over to Longford by Pte. Frankie O' Rourke, met up with Lt. Antony Bracken (as he was at the time) passed my T.O.E.T.'s with flying colours and qualified on the Gustaff, carried it for most of the trip, when after the Atiri incident, I was ordered to carry a F.N. as it was felt weapons with a longer range were far better suited, as the opposition were mainly armed with A.K.'s.

Connaught Stranger.
                        Last edited by Connaught Stranger; 13 June 2009, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by EL_CAPATIANO View Post
                          You were misinformed

Comment

i can't even believe there is a thread about officers carrying rifles!

you guys need to get stuck into "Ross Kemp in Afghanistan" to see that Company Commanders (Major's) are all carrying rifles. even CO's carry rifles at all times in the field - it's not even open for debate! snipers would love officers not to carry rifles to make them even easier to target but this not the case.

even on Battle PT the Majors and the CO carry their rifles and i've even seen the CO take the GPMG for a while.

i know this is a free for all forum but c'mon - debating wether Officers and even Medics should be carrying rifles doesn't do much for the Irish Defence Forces at all.

get stuck in lads - grab your rifles!

RGJ
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              i can't even believe there is a thread about officers carrying rifles!

you guys need to get stuck into "Ross Kemp in Afghanistan" to see that Company Commanders (Major's) are all carrying rifles. even CO's carry rifles at all times in the field - it's not even open for debate! snipers would love officers not to carry rifles to make them even easier to target but this not the case.

even on Battle PT the Majors and the CO carry their rifles and i've even seen the CO take the GPMG for a while.

i know this is a free for all forum but c'mon - debating wether Officers and even Medics should be carrying rifles doesn't do much for the Irish Defence Forces at all.

get stuck in lads - grab your rifles!

RGJ

PDF Officers carry personal weapons on EX's and on Deployments..

Comment

Working...
                              X