Different corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different corps

Hello all, I am a recruit. I was told that its a big RDF we are in.

I am not intending to always remain in infantry, so I was wondering what do the other units out there have to offer and so on. I will see out my three year contract with my unit, but I don't want to specifically do just the infantry side of things.

I was just wondering if people from other units could give me some insight into what they do. I am planning to go to college in Dublin after my leaving cert next year, but I want to work for a year before I do.

So I am just asking about to keep my options open.
    I would prefer to transfer into a different unit when I am in Dublin, because the plan is to live there for three years with college. So I will be looking to make friends in the unit and in Dublin at the same time.

So, I am just looking for pointers. If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

I'd say go Signals and do IT - get the Army to pay for your courses and quals.

RGJ (MCSE)
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
      Hello all, I am a recruit. I was told that its a big RDF we are in.

I am not intending to always remain in infantry, so I was wondering what do the other units out there have to offer and so on. I will see out my three year contract with my unit, but I don't want to specifically do just the infantry side of things.

I was just wondering if people from other units could give me some insight into what they do. I am planning to go to college in Dublin after my leaving cert next year, but I want to work for a year before I do.

So I am just asking about to keep my options open.
      I would prefer to transfer into a different unit when I am in Dublin, because the plan is to live there for three years with college. So I will be looking to make friends in the unit and in Dublin at the same time.

So, I am just looking for pointers. If anyone can help, thanks in advance.
      Ghostrider, if you give us some pointers as to your interests, and what you MIGHT like to do
      in the RDF, then we can point you in the right direction. Advantage of being Dublin based is
      that you have the full choice of Corps to select from....

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      I'd say go Signals and do IT - get the Army to pay for your courses and quals....
      Am subject to correction from someone in RDF CIS Corps, but this probably would not happen...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

maybe try an NCO course with the infantry ? 3 years is a short time in any corps , and you would be a much bigger asset to any unit you transfer to ,
        cavalry if you want to combine the infantry, skills with driving which you can transfer to civi street and gunnery though these may take a while

Comment

In Dublin there are:

Artillery
          Cavalry
          Engineers
          Medics
          Transport
          Military Police
          Communications & Information Service
          Naval Service Reserve, plus
          different infantry units

Comment

When the Re-org was happening, we were given the chance to go out and try trg with other units. Familiarisation courses was what it was called. I thought the concept was good. Did two weeks with Engineers doing basic field engineering. Then later on completed driving training with a Transport unit.

Seemed to work well.
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

i'm the same, ill be heading to dublin for college next year and ill need to get a temporary relocation, i was thinking about artillery, but as im currently infantry, im not sure how it would work, can anyone offer an insight? would it be easy enough to move from infantry to artillery?
              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
              He put a bullet through his brain.
              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

I'd say go Signals and do IT - get the Army to pay for your courses and quals.

RGJ (MCSE)
                As TD says.

But CIS does have a lot to offer. Being a small unit they can also be a lot more open to new arrivals.

Originally posted by trooperette View Post
                maybe try an NCO course with the infantry ? 3 years is a short time in any corps , and you would be a much bigger asset to any unit you transfer to ,
                I would agree but many of the corps units have an element of corps training before they would undergo an NCO course. So if you go to artillery you can expect to be training as a 3* until you reach the corps specific tech training level.

cavalry if you want to combine the infantry, skills with driving which you can transfer to civi street and gunnery though these may take a while
                Not everyone in Cav gets to do the driving. Unlike many of the corps which have a single corp skill, such as driving, it would have to be said that the Cav are a multi-skill unit. Inf - Recci-Tpt-Gunnery all melted to one (did I miss anything?)

So, think of what yo ureally want to do. Basic training in all units is the same but advanced inf training can be as interesting and challenging as any corps training.
                Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

get the Army to pay for your courses and quals.

RGJ (MCSE)
                  Not a chance that the army will pay for courses and qualifications but you could learn a lot of the some of the people in CIS.
                  You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                    Not a chance that the army will pay for courses and qualifications but you could learn a lot of the some of the people in CIS.
                    Not so Al

we have a few lads that have obtained degrees and such like through the DF
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

This thread relates to the RDF

With regard to recognised qualificiations the reality is:

CIS - Signallers can do the ECDL

Not sure of any others!

Not sure if DF occupational first aid is recognised, but if you do it with the Civil Defence or Order of Malta etc is it a FETAC qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                        RDF personnel have gotten Degrees and Masters through the Defence Forces.
                        really?

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                          really?
                          Roger

I got my degree and so did another comrade because of our membership of the RDF.

Message ends

Out
                          Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

Originally posted by Bayern Fan View Post
                            Roger

I got my degree and so did another comrade because of our membership of the RDF.

Message ends

Out
                            well done

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post

Not sure if DF occupational first aid is recognised, but if you do it with the Civil Defence or Order of Malta etc is it a FETAC qualification.
                              From what we were told when we did OFA during Recruit Training, it is recognised.

Comment

Working...
                              X