Army Jail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksaga View Post
    Is it run by the PA's or the Irish prison service?
    which one
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

When i done my recruit training in the curragh back in the early 90's we used to get hot water from the digger at tea time, had 2 people availing of its facilities and they were not enjoying their stay , was a right depressing place.

Lot of money was spent making it suitable for the sex offenders who were housed in it , heaven forbid they would be uncomfortable
      Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        which one
        i presumne the curragh would be mp's? iIs there one thats run by IPS?
        Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

no the prisoners were not allowed to live in the conditions the naval service was housing its recruits, nothing to do with cells or billets, more to do with sky tv , pool table's and prisioner rights

Comment

Didn't they house German POW's in the Curragh during the war? and IRA prisioners in the 50's?
            Theirs not to make reply,
            Theirs not to reason why,
            Theirs but to do and die:
            Into the valley of Death
            Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
              Well that would be obvious. Prisioners wouldn't have lived in Billets, and Recruits wouldn't have lived in Cells, so Billets would have to be turned into Cells.
              How wrong you are.
              When Spike was originally an "open" prison, the prisoners lived in what once were billets.

Then they decided to torch the place, and the cells were built.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                How wrong you are.
                When Spike was originally an "open" prison, the prisoners lived in what once were billets.

Then they decided to torch the place, and the cells were built.
                Exactly, frightening to think that was how the state regarded members of the naval service. then again prisoners have more rights then you think. I seem to remember it caused a bit of a fuss in the papers.

Spike was taken over by the department of justice as panic reaction to a spate of joy riding in Dublin in the 1980's, and housed mostly young offenders in pretty open conditions, e.g. they were in the old billets.

However, research shows that putting a lot of fairly low level offenders under the age of 25 in open conditions is a recipe for a riot ( ironically the more serious the offence you're in prison for, the better behaved the prisoner usually is, as they are dependent on parole reports etc). and that what happened in Spike, along with an attempt to build a raft and sail to the island
                Last edited by paul g; 30 June 2009, 21:45.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                  Interesting, and how odd.

As for the POWs in the Curragh, research K-Lines. Here's a good start - http://www.curragh.info/klines.htm
                  Mot really, spike was never designed as a prison, it was intended to hold people for no more than a week prior to their transportation.

The idea was that prisoners would be housed in Mountjoy, and then shipped to Spike a few days before the ship arrived, and then sent off to New South Wales.

Comment

Mick Martin(not the Minister) wrote a pretty decent, if short, book about it recently.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

and that what happened in Spike, along with an attempt to build a raft and sail to the island
                      Funny thing is they could have walked off spike at low tide if the knew the location a little better.

I remember one evening in 1986 when the prisoners were bold the general alarm sounded in Haulbowline and we got paraded in the drill shed and were being prepared to be tooled up to pay a visit to Spike..the enthusiasm was unbelieveable...never got the chance as the cooled down when they learned we were on the way.

We were on various courses having passed out from recruits and were well fit to cary out the duty required..another lost oppertunity.

Back in the day going absent from Eithne was under a certain OC was automatic digger time.. did away with absence in one swift stroke.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                        With your other thread being about the criminal convictions you have to your name and this thread about military detention facilities, I'm starting to worry.

Going along the same lines I'd imagine that your next thread will be asking if the Army locks its gates and sets the alarm when it goes out.
                        Ha ha! As I said on the other thread I was a bit of a messer when I was younger but haven't been in any bother for 2 years.

After what happened last weekend in Limerick maybe the alarms should be checked - I'm a sparky so maybe you could give my boss some business

So there is a 'detention facility' then - would that only be for soldiers who do army offences or anything at all? I'd say it would be tough in there - when I was in court 2 years ago the judge said if I came before him again I'd be on my way to St Pat's. That made me sort things out!

Comment

So there is a 'detention facility' then - would that only be for soldiers who do army offences or anything at all?
                          Offences in relation to the D.F.Rs.

If a custodial sentence is awardable in a criminal prosecution the person convicted is discharged from the DF ..with ignomy.

Lasts weeks trial of the guy convicted of sex offences against a minor went this way.

I have a mate convicted of assault on a technicality in a civilian court some years ago but as the the sentence was not custodial he was allowed to continue to serve.

Why do I say a technicality..well he did knock seven shades of shite out of a guy..but only after the guy had stolen his motorbike..and reported my mate for his own version of summary justice.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Karl22 View Post
                            Ha ha! As I said on the other thread I was a bit of a messer when I was younger but haven't been in any bother for 2 years.

So there is a 'detention facility' then - would that only be for soldiers who do army offences or anything at all? I'd say it would be tough in there - when I was in court 2 years ago the judge said if I came before him again I'd be on my way to St Pat's. That made me sort things out!
                            You would have been 20 2 years ago, why would you be sent to Pat's? To the Joy with ya!!!
                            I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                              You would have been 20 2 years ago, why would you be sent to Pat's? To the Joy with ya!!!
                              Just gone 22 and that was back in early 2007 so would have been 19 - think it's under 21 for Pat's?

Comment

Prison is the one area where you're not considered an adult until you're over 21. I'd argue that it would in reality, be better to send them to adult prison at 18, in that it would put them off a life of crime at an earlier age, and the older prisoners would keep them in line.

Comment

Working...
                                X