X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luchi View Post
    No such thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Not now never was and never will be.

Up till now you have always seemed knowledgable but no engineer corps person would ever be refered to as a GRUNT.

The correct term in the UK, and I think any of the former colonies, is sapper!
    The French also use a similar word, probably the original.
    Then Germans call them pioniers!!
    Wind yer neck in will ya..Assault Pioneers would be Grunts as they're part of an Infantry Bn.. Nothing to do with Engineers except training.

Comment

exactly Craghopper - Assault Pioneers always have been and always will be - GRUNTS!
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Hi folks
        Terribly sorry to bring up an old post but i have a problem.
        I was planning to try for a cadetship after i do an electrical engineering degree but whilst browsing through the requirements for this years cadetship i came across this
        "b. Graduates must possess as a minimum Grade D3 in the following
        Ordinary/Higher level subjects:
        (1) Mathematics.
        (2) Irish or English
        (3) Any four Matriculation subjects not already selected.
        AND
        Must have obtained a recognised degree i.e. a Third Level Degree awarded up to
        the end of 2004. With effect from 2005 have successfully completed an
        Honours Bachelor Degree programme at pass or honours level (level 8 of the
        National Framework of Qualifications),"

As i dont have a leaving cert would that make it impossible for me to apply?
        Any replies would be greatly appreciated
        Thanks!

Comment

Once you have a degree nobody will care what you got in the leaving cert or even if you did one.
          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
            Once you have a degree nobody will care what you got in the leaving cert or even if you did one.
            Oh yes they will.

If you don't have a Leaving how did you go for the degree?
            Do you have an equivelent or a trade?
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by 00martz00 View Post
              "b. Graduates must possess as a minimum Grade D3 in the following
              Ordinary/Higher level subjects:
              (1) Mathematics.
              (2) Irish or English
              (3) Any four Matriculation subjects not already selected.
              AND
              Must have obtained a recognised degree i.e. a Third Level Degree awarded up to
              the end of 2004. With effect from 2005 have successfully completed an
              Honours Bachelor Degree programme at pass or honours level (level 8 of the
              National Framework of Qualifications),"
              It's my understanding that graduates also have to possess the minimum requirements for entry to any of the NUI universities (ie. the bit quoted above), regardless of whether you went to a university for your degree course or got your degree in an IT.

I'm not certain, but without a Leaving Cert you might have no chance of doing a cadetship.:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by 00martz00 View Post
                Hi lads just a quick question.
                Is it possible to do electrical engineering in the army?
                If so do you recieve a diploma for it?
                Any replies or info would be really appreciated.
                Thanks
                My best most sincere advice is to pay for it yourself.

Comment

Oh yes they will.

If you don't have a Leaving how did you go for the degree?
                  Do you have an equivelent or a trade?
                  Have you never heard of the concept of a mature student, ie over 23 years of age? I don't have a leaving cert either but I do have a Masters Degree.
                  The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

Yes I have also heard of the term "equivelence" where you are exempted because it is determined that other courses of study are acceptable.

My sister is on the interview panel for the RTC in Carlow. IF you apply for a job there without LC results on the application OR an equivelent your application will not get past the HR secetary even though you might have degrees comming out your ears.

The requirement to have LC english in the RTC is to ensure a potential lectuere can actually speak and read English. And yes there are people with LC that can't.

I can only assume that the DF, like the RTC, follows the same civil servant recruitment guide lines. Hence if you don't give the exact info you don't get processed.
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Sack the cadetship and join the british army - your qualifications will put you in a great position , there are quite a few ex rankers who go to sandhurst and pass out every year
                      Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

......the RTC in Carlow. IF you apply for a job there without LC results on the application OR an equivelent your application will not get past the HR secetary even though you might have degrees comming out your ears.

The requirement to have LC english in the RTC is to ensure a potential lectuere can actually speak and read English. And yes there are people with LC that can't.
                        A real University wont give a rats ass about LC results, the only important thing is the persons degree, asssuming it is a degree and not one of those diploma things.
                        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Well unfortunately im currently not in the DF and because of the recruitment embargo ill be too old at the end of 2011 to enlist.
                          As i never did my leaving cert (a left school to do an apprenticeship) so my plan was to do a level 7 electrical services engineering and then go on and do level 8 in the same course and recieve a degree.
                          After that i was hoping to apply for a cadetship.
                          So its not looking too good is it?

Comment

What's one of them 'diploma' things?

Comment

My sister is on the interview panel for the RTC in Carlow. IF you apply for a job there without LC results on the application OR an equivelent your application will not get past the HR secetary even though you might have degrees coming out your ears.
                              You may have unwittingly solved a problem for me.

The requirement to have LC english in the RTC is to ensure a potential lecturer can actually speak and read English.
                              Despite the fact that you had to produce a dissertation in order to get your degree.

I can only assume that the DF, like the RTC, follows the same civil servant recruitment guide lines. Hence if you don't give the exact info you don't get processed.
                              And that probably says more about the civil service than it does about the calibre of the people who apply for jobs.

Good post

Comment

Originally posted by The Sultan View Post
                                What's one of them 'diploma' things?
                                Now called Ordinary Degrees.

Comment

Working...
                                X