Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• army engineers

Hi lads just a quick question.
    Is it possible to do electrical engineering in the army?
    If so do you recieve a diploma for it?
    Any replies or info would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

Originally posted by 00martz00 View Post
    Hi lads just a quick question.
    Is it possible to do electrical engineering in the army?
    If so do you recieve a diploma for it?
    Any replies or info would be really appreciated.
    Thanks
    Short answer - yes

It is possible to get funding to do an educational course whose
    qualification would be of benefit to the Defence Forces

So a degree in Snail Studies would be a non runner in this regard !!!

Yes, the qualification appropriate to the course would be exactly the same
    as that received by a graduate doing the course in the usual manner
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
      Are you talking about doing Electrical Engineering as an Officer, or man?
      1. What's the difference between the two ???
      2. There are now female personnel in the DF....
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        1. What's the difference between the two ???
        An officer would find it a damn sight easier to get the state to pay for a level 8 electrical engineering degree, post cadetship. Other ranks would have to put in a fair amount of service first (though many do in fact gain qualifications through the DF)
        Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        2. There are now female personnel in the DF....
        There are still only 2 types of people in the DF - officers and men. Some of the men have lumpy jumpers and different army numbers, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          An officer would find it a damn sight easier to get the state to pay for a level 8 electrical engineering degree, post cadetship. Other ranks would have to put in a fair amount of service first (though many do in fact gain qualifications through the DF)
          Yes, true, but no difference in the qualification on completion, at the end of the day
          That's the point I was getting at

There are still only 2 types of people in the DF - officers and men. Some of the men have lumpy jumpers and different army numbers, though

Comment

whats the difference apart from level 8 and so on

what more do you do in the Hons degree

and are both graduates admitted to the academy of engineers (or what ever its called)
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              whats the difference apart from level 8 and so on

and are both graduates admitted to the academy of engineers (or what ever its called)
              A B Eng* Ord is three years of further study after the leaving mostly but not exclusively awarded by the IT's.
              A B Eng* Hons is 4 years of further study after the leaving mostly but not exclusively awarded by the Uni's.
              Have a look here man http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/frame_action/levels.html it breaks it down fairly well.

*Same holds true for all degrees not just engineering.
              Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Are you talking about doing Electrical Engineering as an Officer, or man?
                i was going to do it as enlisted because i cant do a cadetship as i have no leaving cert.
                But i do reckon im well able for electrical engineering i recieved a merit on completion of my electrician apprenticeship. i know its only for an electrician but i reckon i have the head for it!
                I also wanted to enlist so i thought i might chance my arm and be able to get best of both worlds.(but i do know there is a recruitment embargo at the moment)

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  Currently a level 8 "Honours" Degree (just called a Degree in old money) satisfies the IEI's educational requirements for the title of "Ordinary Member" of the institution (with MIEI after your name).

Currently a level 7 "Ordinary" Degree (just called a Diploma in old money) satisfies the IEI's educational requirements for the title of "Associate Member" of the institution (with AMIEI after your name).

Currently a level 6 Certificate satisfies the IEI's educational requirements for the title of "Technician Member" of the institution (with TechIEI after your name).

Up until 2012ish, a level 8 "Honours" Degree satisfies the IEI's educational requirements for contribution towards the title of "Chartered Member" of the institution (with CEng MIEI after your name). To gain this title, graduates need to spend a further 4 years as a working Engineer on top of the 4 years of education, followed by an interview and assessment of a "professional practice report" submitted by the applicant for the title.

After 2013, the educational requirement for chartered status will be changing to a 3+2 year long BSc + MEng requirement (á la Bologna Process).

Check out http://www.engineersireland.ie/uploa...Criteria07.pdf
                  Last edited by david; 30 June 2009, 23:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                    A B Eng* Ord is three years of further study after the leaving mostly but not exclusively awarded by the IT's.
                    A B Eng* Hons is 4 years of further study after the leaving mostly but not exclusively awarded by the Uni's.
                    Have a look here man http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/frame_action/levels.html it breaks it down fairly well.

*Same holds true for all degrees not just engineering.
                    Of course, there are some very strange people who choose to do level 8 degrees in ITs. Which leads to fun conversations along the lines of:

"So I was on the way to college today"
                    "You mean you were on the way to IT today"
                    "No, I mean college"
                    "You don't go to a college, you go to an IT"
                    "Shut up"

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                      Of course, there are some very strange people who choose to do level 8 degrees in ITs. Which leads to fun conversations along the lines of:

"So I was on the way to college today"
                      "You mean you were on the way to IT today"
                      "No, I mean college"
                      "You don't go to a college, you go to an IT"
                      "Shut up"
                      heres another slant on that

'So what college you in?'
                      'Im in Trinity College studyin History, your in college too arnt ya?'
                      'Nope'
                      'Thought you were studyin History too?'
                      I am, but im in a University'

Welcome to UCD

Comment

Yes you can go from an electrician to do a diploma but it will be hard work it terms of getting time off. If you come in you will go to the corps and do your basic engineer training and a trip overseas before you would be considered. They are two ways to get further training in the df either the df publishes a need for such skill, therefore everyone can apply or you go it alone do the course on your own time and get the army to pay for the course afterwards, ps you get a couple of days off for exams. Can’t remember the TI that deals with such matters but there are laid down guidelines for such a route.

It has been the case that guys with a trade go on to be commissioned after getting a degree recognised by iei. Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post
                          heres another slant on that

'So what college you in?'
                          'Im in Trinity College studyin History, your in college too arnt ya?'
                          'Nope'
                          'Thought you were studyin History too?'
                          I am, but im in a University'

Welcome to UCD
                          And the C in UCD stands for?..... You might want to learn what the difference between a college and a university is.
                          ITs are colleges. You're too young t remember, but they were formerly known as RTCs, and before that, they had a variety of names such as below. I'll leave you guess what the C was.

Cork School of Art
                          Bolton St. College of Technology
                          Kevin St. College of Technology
                          Rathmines College of Catering
                          Cathal Brugha St. College of Catering
                          Limerick College of Art Craft and Technology
                          etc

Universities are Universities.
                          I am aware of this, but truth should never get in the way of a good windup.

Comment

thanks for the advice lads i might just enlist and then go it alone and see what happens.
                            i only hope the df opens up before i hit 25 (i turned 23 in april gone)

Comment

what is the difference between a University and a college
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X