RPGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPGs

Was watching SKY NEWS last night and thought I saw a British Soldier firing an RPG. What a great bit of kit, simple reliable, well proven etc etc and cheap and continously being developed. Maybe it cannot take on MBT's but ideal for 99% of all other poss use by Irish . Have the Irish ever considered it?

They've got the far more accurate and effective 84mm Carl Gustav and the SRAAW.

Comment

84mm and shraaw are more effective in the anti armour role then a rpg
      the RPG 7 does offer some advantages for the multi threat environment esp for armies low on training /logistics which is perhaps limited by the HEAT warhead s that are the norm , but for a modern western military not really a runner
      "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

the Carl Gustav can also fire a variety of rounds, most obviously illum, that RPG doesn't have.

personally i wouldn't fire, an RPG found on the battlefield for obvious reasons unless it had been checked by ordance.
        Last edited by paul g; 14 July 2009, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
          Was watching SKY NEWS last night and thought I saw a British Soldier firing an RPG. What a great bit of kit, simple reliable, well proven etc etc and cheap and continously being developed. Maybe it cannot take on MBT's but ideal for 99% of all other poss use by Irish . Have the Irish ever considered it?
          Maybe you saw an Afghan soldier attached to the BA firing the weapon. They do joint operations.
          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
            Maybe you saw an Afghan soldier attached to the BA firing the weapon. They do joint operations.
            No I saw the same footage ( not at the same time) as Bandit and it was a British Soldier

firing what to be looked like an RPG
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Show me some video!!! If it's the same I saw then it was an Afghan Commando.
              Theirs not to make reply,
              Theirs not to reason why,
              Theirs but to do and die:
              Into the valley of Death
              Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Soldier at 4.30 mins. Probably not the same footage.
                The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

They were in Brit DPM.

Comment

Hi there
                    The RPG does have a wide variety of non-HEAT rounds but the one most commonly seen is the standard cheap HEAT round. That's it's main selling point; dirt cheap and rock-simple to use.
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      They were in Brit DPM.
                      So?

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8141416.stm

Soldier at 4.30 mins. Probably not the same footage.
                        That's the footage I'm talking about and he is an Afghan Commando. The helmet shape is a give away, they have been issued with alot of Western/US kit.
                        Last edited by mugs; 14 July 2009, 18:51.
                        Theirs not to make reply,
                        Theirs not to reason why,
                        Theirs but to do and die:
                        Into the valley of Death
                        Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Have never fired sraaw, Only 84 CG in the Glen and 66mm rocket not in Glen . Only 66 in action,,However having experienced RPGs from the other end and seen them iall over the place, still think its a great bit of kit and am pasting an article below re same. Simple, cheap and available,, oh also fired Energa inert drill rounds with DF behind the firing point in Gormo Years agoooo

Amerikansky Rocket-Propelled Grenade Launcher
                          By David Crane

defrev at gmail dot com

April 13, 2009
                          Updated on 4/26/09.

My good friend and professional contact, prolific infantry small arms/machine gun designer Jim Sullivan (a.k.a. L James Sullivan), has complained to me quite a bit about U.S. military infantry warfighters not having an American version of the Russian RPG-7 / RPG-7V shoulder-launched, anti-tank rocket-propelled grenade weapon system (recoilless rifle) at their disposal to match our current and potential future enemies’ RPG-7s / RPG-7Vs. The advantages of the RPG-7 anti-tank weapon system are several.

First, the size of the RPG-7’s warhead/projectile is not limited to the size of the launcher tube, so you can use variable-size warheads that carry more payload and greater penetrative capability than an M72 LAW (Light Anti-Tank Weapon a.k.a. Light Anti-Armor Weapon) 66mm HEAT warhead. Second, the RPG-7’s reloadable/reusable aspect allows the user to carry a quiver of different types of RPG rounds (i.e. standard HEAT warhead, dual-HEAT warhead, and thermobaric rocket-propelled grenades) on his back and quickly choose the best one for the job, load it, fire it at the target, and then reach back and grab the next one in the quiver (or have his buddy grab it for him), load it, and fire it again, which may offer some tactical advantages over carrying multiple disposable rocket launchers on his back. And third, both the the RPG-7 and enhanced-armor-penetration-capable RPG-29 Vampir (Vampire) recoilless rifles’ respective launcher tubes, ammunition (grenade rounds), and training requirements are significantly less expensive than the U.S. military’s closest equivalents, the M3 Carl-Gustaf 84mm Recoilless Rifle / Multi-Role Man-Portable Anti-Tank Weapon a.k.a. M3 Carl-Gustav Recoilless Anti-Tank Rifle made by Saab AB a.k.a. Saab Bofors Dynamics and the Shoulder-launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon (SMAW) MK153 Mod 0, which is an 83mm multi-purpose recoilless rifle.

The M3 Carl-Gustaf is, no doubt, an excellent weapon system, but it is cost-prohibitive (i.e. too expensive) for many armies to procure it in large numbers. The M3 Carl-Gustaf’s relatively high cost (launcher, ammo, and training) has even contributed to its relatively limited numbers in the U.S. military inventory. The U.S. version is designated as the M3 MAAWS (Multi-role Anti-Armor Anti-personnel Weapon System), and is primarily in use with U.S. military Special Operations Forces (SOF) under USSOCOM a.k.a. SOCOM.

Enter the good folks at Airtronic USA, Inc. who have recently developed an American-version a.k.a. Amerikansky RPG-7 / RPG-7V with a couple of M4/M4A1-Carbine-type features that U.S. military infantry warfighters should enjoy (see features below), and it’s about time somebody did. Quite frankly, an American-made RPG-7 / RPG-7V system is long, long overdue.

Comment

The M3 Carl-Gustaf is, no doubt, an excellent weapon system, but it is cost-prohibitive (i.e. too expensive) for many armies to procure it in large numbers. The M3 Carl-Gustaf’s relatively high cost (launcher, ammo, and training) has even contributed to its relatively limited numbers in the U.S. military inventory.
                            This article is extracting the urine, for the Us military high cost, compared to what, an F-22?

Comment

I guess its expensive when compared with the cost of an RPG

Comment

Working...
                              X