Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Combat and Survival" reports on Irish Army in Chad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Combat and Survival" reports on Irish Army in Chad

    FYI

    I noticed that this months (August? 2009) issue of "Combat and Survival" has an article on the Irish Army in Chad.

    It was shrinkwrapped, so I didn't read the article itself. I browse the magazine occasionally and they generally have good articles, so thought ye would like to know.

  • #2
    Good cover of the 99th battalion.

    Focused more on the equipment and organisation then personnel.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

    Comment


    • #3
      lets get our own back for 800 years of oppression

      scan the article and throw it on here
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

      Comment


      • #4
        What are good military magazines to buy in say..easons?
        Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by silverside View Post
          FYI

          I noticed that this months (August? 2009) issue of "Combat and Survival" has an article on the Irish Army in Chad.

          It was shrinkwrapped, so I didn't read the article itself. I browse the magazine occasionally and they generally have good articles, so thought ye would like to know.

          Havn't read it yet but a friend told me its written by Eves Debay, this guy also did an article a few years ago in Concord Publications; Spec Ops, about an EOD team in Dundalk ..story line suspicious and the information given about equipment and relalted storyline was'nt up to scratch to say the least ..however some of his later coverage and photos from OIF and OEF in Iraq and elsewhere are second to none and some of the best photos out there!

          This guy was also a co-author of a book published may years ago called "Blue Helmets Under Fire" relating to UN missions over the years, published in the 90's again by Concord. The book made damning reference to Irish and Danish Batts being pro Lebonese gurella and being one sided in they're policing in UNIFIL..

          Hope the guy has done a better job this time!

          Comment


          • #6
            Actually the offical name of the state is Eire, look at the coins, stamps etc.

            As for the article, had a brief look at it at Easons, ( somebody had kindly removed one of the plastic wrappers. From my own perspective, is there any harm in letting lots of walts in the Uk know that the DF have far better APC's and equipment then anything the British army have? The journalist was aware he wasn't writing for the British army review, and hence pitched his article accordingly. Fact be told, the British have nothing comparable to the mowag, and won't for a number of years.

            As for the Welsh man in the pub asking about english officers, do you know how bad the standard of education is in the UK? Far below ours, and we've far from got the best in Europe.
            Last edited by paul g; 22 July 2009, 15:52.

            Comment


            • #7
              Agree with the fact that it did give an insight to Mowags etc... but the glaring errors still undermine the value of the article.Had he got the basics right..i.e. 3rd battalion serving in the east it might have been more credible.

              Yves Debay is far from the worst of authours ..have a nice book on the FFL by him but oversights such as this just undermine the writers crediblity.

              yes I buy the magazine every month for the past 10 years of so.It's got some good articles, the youngfella likes the gamoaming content..i like the uniform related content but every few years when they do an Irish related article I cringe.

              But they do in fairness occasionally at least take a look at what the army do.
              Last edited by hptmurphy; 22 July 2009, 22:04.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Agree with the fact that it did give an insight to Mowags etc... but the glaring errors still undermine the value of the article.Had he got the basics right..i.e. 3rd battalion serving in the east it might have been more credible.

                Yves Debay is far from the worst of authours ..have a nice book on the FFL by him but oversights such as this just undermine the writers crediblity.

                yes I buy the magazine every month for the past 10 years of so.It's got some good articles, the youngfella likes the gamoaming content..i like the uniform related content but every few years when they do an Irish related article I cringe.

                But they do in fairness occasionally at least take a look at what the army do.
                If you feel strongly about it, write to the publishers/author with a list of corrections.
                Meh.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Given his name, Yves might have written it in french, and sold it on to C&S, and the resulting mistakes may be bad translation.

                  The irish sun had a spread today about forces departing for Chad littered with similar mistakes. The also had keely the page three girl saying how brave our boys in Chad were. Although i'm sure she said something different in the Uk edition.
                  Last edited by paul g; 23 July 2009, 15:52.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can anyone scan and post the article?

                    Or am I about to bring a whole load of x*?*% down on me for suggesting this?
                    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                    Who is number 1?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by paul g View Post
                      The irish sun had a spread today about forces departing for Chad littered with similar mistakes.
                      Not to mention the Irish Times and the immenent departutre of the 101st Infantry division

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...251143101.html

                        God help us!!! Glad on An Bord Snip doesn't know about them!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                          Can anyone scan and post the article?

                          Or am I about to bring a whole load of x*?*% down on me for suggesting this?
                          forget scanning that shite

                          scan Keely the topless page 3 bird telling me how brave I am by association
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you feel strongly about it, write to the publishers/author with a list of corrections.

                            Why bother..I know the detail is wrong..I've posted here about it, if they are remotely interested in correcting the article i'm sure I'm well down the list of people who will write.

                            The fact that Mr. Debay may have had the article translated does not excuse the publishers from having it proof read by some one in the know...but then again its only a magazine and at least some here no better than to take it as gospel.

                            there is a serious deficet of this type of magazine available off the shelf..there was anaother called 'combat and militaria in the early 90s but that vanished and there was a military version of 'warships international fleet review' available but again vanished after three iusses..it was waful which wa supprising given its sister magazine is of very high quality although often over burdens it self with politcal aspects of the RNs future which can be quite topical.

                            the Military vehicles side is nicely covered by two publications both of which I have contributed to and while based on restorations the second War Machines international is very good at the upto date suff.

                            CLassic Military vehicles is mostly aimed at the collector scene but has some nes feature on newer equipment. I have collect all issues of both sicnce there inception and are very entertainging..if you have any interest in Military vehicles these are a good starting point..but be care i went down the slippery slopes of trying to research what they featured and ended up a with a veritable library consisting of a bout 1500 books.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by paul g View Post
                              Fact be told, the British have nothing comparable to the mowag, and won't for a number of years
                              Priceless !!

                              http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/warriorafv.html

                              http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0035.html

                              http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operatio...oured-vehicle/

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_(vehicle)

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV103_Spartan

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther...iaison_Vehicle

                              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X