• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    riflemangundy
    Duplicate Accounts

• riflemangundy
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry View Post
    They were originally leather, back in the day.

There's a similar contraption on L118 ammo, but it's made from polystyrene, and screws into the top of the cartridge case.
    PICKY OF THE L118 beckett
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• WES
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    My late Grandfather was once tasked with inspecting field guns recieved from the British during the Emergency.He said that they were marked "Dunkirk" and shook freely at a push, obviously worn out. He also mentioned seeing Bren carriers with "Not fit for battle" stencilled on them, ie; defective armour, such as it was.
    I suppose from a British point of view there was nothing wrong with what they did. Sell the battlefield salvage to the Paddies who had opted out anyway and weren't going to need serious armaments. Better to make a few bob out of it. It made more economic sense to offload it rather than bear the cost of recycling it.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    My late Grandfather was once tasked with inspecting field guns recieved from the British during the Emergency.He said that they were marked "Dunkirk" and shook freely at a push, obviously worn out. He also mentioned seeing Bren carriers with "Not fit for battle" stencilled on them, ie; defective armour, such as it was.
    Question: How was the recoil system on the 25pdr serviced? I read of an account of some that had served at Alamein needing to be "repacked" after heavy firing.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• Smithy
    Corporal

• Smithy
    replied
    18 pdrs in 1961? Yes just at the end of their era in the DF. There was still plenty of ammo left after the "Emergency" so we fired a lot of it off. It was mainly plugged shrapnel as I recall. The guns were just a little old at that stage so sometimes they had to be "persuaded" to run out after recoil. There was at least one instance of barrel droop resulting in a short - very short!
    ________
    YAMAHA CS30/CS30L SYNTHESIZER HISTORY
    Smithy
    Corporal
    Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 14:05.

Leave a comment:

• Herald
    Rittmeister

• Herald
    replied
    Originally posted by Smithy View Post
    Here's a photo of 6th Battery, 6th FA Regt (FCA) with 18 pounders in the Glen in 1961. Both the No 1 and the No 3 went on to careers as PDF officers.
    Thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

• paul
    Sargent Major

• paul
    replied

There's a similar contraption on L118 ammo, but it's made from polystyrene, and screws into the top of the cartridge case.
    That are also a b***h to put on.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    Lt General

• Barry
    replied

Leave a comment:

• paul
    Sargent Major

• paul
    replied
    A beckett cup is a small cup of leather with a strap on it
    Your getting abit fancy there, sounds expensive. Taught they were just cardboard?

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    Lt General

• Barry
    replied
    A beckett cup is a small cup of leather with a strap on it (to aid removal) that was used to crush the charge bags down to the bottom of the cartridge case, to make sure they were all in contact with the primer. Usually found in several thousand small pieces directly in front of the gun, after firing

Leave a comment:

• turbocalves
    jang-a-lang

• turbocalves
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Hi there
    What's a beckett when it's at home............18pdrs in 1961.Jesus, it was worse than I thought.Were there still live rounds available for them?!
    regards
    GttC
    its a cap that goes in to the cartridge case to prevent the gas from escaping quickly

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi there
    What's a beckett when it's at home............18pdrs in 1961.Jesus, it was worse than I thought.Were there still live rounds available for them?!
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• riflemangundy
    Duplicate Accounts

• riflemangundy
    replied
    Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
    Excellent vids.
    I suspect that it was a beckett rather than a round captured at the end of the first vid and also that the last round was fired by the school RSM but great work by the camera crew!
    I knew that wasnt the director firin it off... as one of the 2nd regt said ' fecking ***** gets his head in everywhere'!!!

on another note i there was 1 gun crew in that video (possibly 2 FAR) that where on fire.. excellent gun crew

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    Tim Horgan

• Goldie fish
    replied
    It was much handier with Limbers I'd say. I understand the 25 Pounders used to have them too, But they were withdrawn due to Road Traffic legislation.
    Nice to see the Morris Gun towing truck on the road too. Their successor, the Morris Quad was quite popular with drivers too. My dad started his driving days on one that was pressed into civilian use.

Leave a comment:

• Smithy
    Corporal

• Smithy
    replied
    Here's a photo of 6th Battery, 6th FA Regt (FCA) with 18 pounders in the Glen in 1961. Both the No 1 and the No 3 went on to careers as PDF officers.
    ________
    Honda Nsx History
    Attached Files
    Smithy
    Corporal
    Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 14:05.

Leave a comment:

• Archimedes
    gunner at heart

• Archimedes
    replied
    Excellent vids.
    I suspect that it was a beckett rather than a round captured at the end of the first vid and also that the last round was fired by the school RSM but great work by the camera crew!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X