This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM

People seem to think the Irish DF have the whole 'mine clearance' thing sewn up and this would make up for any other shortfalls in kit in Afghan.

Yes - the Irish DF are very experienced in conventional mine clearance - not in detecting and countering complex IED's designed to take them (as opposed to a third party) out.

We currently detect / disrupt over 80% of IED's encountered. We have had decades of experience in this department (from Northern Ireland to Iraq etc) and we have the worlds best unsung hero - our ECM.

Do the Irish DF have such ECM capability right now? Even the Americans didn't have such ECM in Iraq in 2005 and often used to 'piggy back' our convoys so they could be afforded the protection of the British ECM umbrella.

That's another reason why I'm saying the Irish DF wouldn't be ready for about 2 years - this would give you the time to acquire, fine tune and become proficient in ECM.

PS - for obvious reasons I can't go into any detail on ECM but I'm confident it has saved my life and many others and as much as we hate carrying it - we all appreciate what it does.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

The new armoured vehicles to be delivered to the Irish DF will be ECM equipped for IED protection.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      The new armoured vehicles to be delivered to the Irish DF will be ECM equipped for IED protection.
      ECM is not generic and comes in many forms and requires a lot of R&D.

The jack of all ECM is the jammer of none....
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        [ECM] Thats an operational matter and will not be discussed on IMO. As Goldie says the new armoured vehicles will be (thats already in the public domain.
        ECM is already very much in the public domain and its use (not methods or technical details) is widely publicised.

I'm just highlighting the fact that it's an asset that the Irish DF are not very experienced in (in high intensity operations where they are the target) and can't afford to ignore if they have any intent on deploying to Afghan.

You can't just go to the 'ECM Shop' and buy some before you deploy then turn it on and hope for the best!

MOD: The equipping or not of Irish personnel with ECM (apart from the new vehicles to be delviered soon) is not in the public domain and will not be discussed here RGJ !
        Last edited by DeV; 11 August 2009, 19:55.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

OMG
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 11 August 2009, 20:08.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Omg
            ROFL - sorry that made me laugh
            There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              ECM is not generic and comes in many forms and requires a lot of R&D.

The jack of all ECM is the jammer of none....

I fell a sleep during that lesson in Camp Bastion :redface:

Comment

Shhhhhh - ECM is a dirty word on here! :wink:

more chance talking about crypto!
                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 12 August 2009, 00:44.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

more chance talking about crypto!
                  Get the BATCO books out

Comment

:
                    thats because they think it stands for

Equipment Costing Money

(and we dont want an bord snip goin on the warpath)
                    But there's no danger
                    It's a professional career
                    Though it could be arranged
                    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                    If you're out of luck you're out of work
                    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

LOL - given that ECM has been been used in Ulster since the early eighties (if not before) i think people shouldn't be afraid to talk about it - we are not talking technicalities or tactics of ECM.

it's just another defensive asset and i was highlighting the fact that i don't think it's in common use in the Irish DF inventory where we have been using it at section / fire-team level for nearly 3 decades.

it is an absolute necessity for any units deploying on operations in Afghanistan.

however you are right turbo - it is very expensive - especially if you lose one (and i'm not just on about the monetary cost!).
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 12 August 2009, 01:19.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

We won't be discussing matters like ECM with foreign agents such as yourself...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                        X