X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hptmurphy
    replied
    "I'm corporal x. Welcome to the Barracks Open day. Tea or coffee?"
    I always introduced my self to people by my given name, even recruits and then informed them of my rank. The only time I would have introduced myself by rank would be to an officer while in uniform.

My rank would have meant nothing to the uneducated so until I had informed them of the correct procedure I would use my own given name although while reffering to colleagues I would use their given rank or title,

Nowadays I still use Mr until formerly introduced and in the case of former officers that I would have served with, Sir until they ask me to use their forename. Was always a bit uncomfortble with the first name basis but at sea only officers, the Cox and the Bosun were called by titles.

Attitudes vary according to age.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by paul469 View Post
    when me and my m8(both of us rdf) were driving one night we were stopped at a checkpoint where the gardai where searching every car that went through, we identified ourselves as two privates and went on wer let go without even askin for documents, so it does come in handy
    I was in a similar boat about a year and a half ago. Driving home from a Training Night,
    when I came across a Garda checkpoint doing a tax/insurance/etc. check

My insurance disk was 10 days out of date, but I had a letter ready in the glove compartment
    saying that it was en route

I rolled down the window to tell the Garda this, but once he saw the uniform, he waved me on...

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by luchi View Post
    don't you just hate typo's

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
    Luchie, as you drew attention to it, it's TYPOS and not TYPO'S. Incorrect use of the apostrophe, tut, tut, tut.
    1-0 to The Prisoner !

Originally posted by luchi View Post
    THere is no e in luchi either but I have never mentioned that
    90th minute equaliser from Luchi....

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    what about the milk and suger
    As I do always say to visitors.... "Help yourselves to milk and sugar" !!!

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    when me and my m8(both of us rdf) were driving one night we were stopped at a checkpoint where the gardai where searching every car that went through, we identified ourselves as two privates and went on wer let go without even askin for documents, so it does come in handy

they probably saw the sparkle in your young enthusastic eyes

remembered a time when they 2 were full of the thrill and expectatitions of life

then as a servant of the State they heard you identify yourselves as 2 RDF Privates

and felt so sorry for you - that they decided to let you on your sad lonely way.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    thats the usual, but waht about the unusual. is there any time where an RDF memeber may present himself by rank to civvies....without matial law being declared.
    A member of the RDF may present him/herself by rank to civvies at anytime. However he/she has to be prepared to live with the reaction.

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    replied
    when me and my m8(both of us rdf) were driving one night we were stopped at a checkpoint where the gardai where searching every car that went through, we identified ourselves as two privates and went on wer let go with out even askin for documents, so it does come in handy
    Don't the GS have to have due cause to search a vehicle?
    In which case if you smiled and said nothing the garda probably have just checked your discs and waved you on!!!

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
    Luchie, as you drew attention to it, it's TYPOS and not TYPO'S. Incorrect use of the apostrophe, tut, tut, tut.
    THere is no e in luchi either but I have never mentioned that

Leave a comment:

• The Prisoner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• paul469
    replied
    Last edited by paul469; 1 September 2009, 13:50.

Leave a comment:

• Tango_Charlie
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    And you wonder why they won't let you serve the tea and coffee...
    Its been a long time since i was eligible for selection for that role i can tell you.

I just find that when you are talking to civvies, particularly kids they dont know the difference between ranks and after all we are trying to sell ourselves so why not come across as friendly professionalls?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
    Even when i am introducing myself on open days or displays at civilian events i introduce myself by name only.
    And you wonder why they won't let you serve the tea and coffee...

Leave a comment:

• Tango_Charlie
    replied
    Even when i am introducing myself on open days or displays at civilian events i introduce myself by name only.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    what about the milk and suger

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    thats the usual, but waht about the unusual. is there any time where an RDF memeber may present himself by rank to civvies....without matial law being declared.

Leave a comment:

• Tango_Charlie
    replied
    This thread is a joke. Why would ANYONE, PDF or RDF, when not in an official capacity or in uniform, introduce themselves by their rank?

The guy who did that with the gaurd should get a kick in the back of the head. Clown. The copper should have wrote him up just for being a knob.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Because he is a walt!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X