X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luchi
    replied
    Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
    1) When driving the Rules of the Road cover the info to be given to a Garda, when requested.
    2) I have been advised that if stopped by a Garda you are obliged to give your name, address and date of birth. (Subject to correction). As you have the right to silence and don't have to give a statement that's all that is required.
    And sample of signature but you knew that

As for an RDF person using their rank....................................

Don't get me started on the old AF1524 v's Driving Licence story.
    Thats a new one
    (don't you just hate typo's)

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Thanks for clearing that one up guys, maybe now the lads can talk about something of interest
    I nolonger need replys on this subject.
    Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• The Prisoner
    replied
    1) When driving the Rules of the Road cover the info to be given to a Garda, when requested.
    2) I have been advised that if stopped by a Garda you are obliged to give your name, address and date of birth. (Subject to correction). As you have the right to silence and don't have to give a statement that's all that is required.

As for an RDF person using their rank....................................

Don't get me started on the old AF1524 v's Driving Licence story.

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Why would a person in the RDF want to identify themselves by rank in a non military related situation ?

Because he is a walt!!!!

Even in uniform you do not use mil rank when giving your name to the GS unless, of course, you are driving a mil vehicle and giving details with regard to the care and management of the vehicle.

The one possible exception to this is people in the professional security business. DF and GS personnel in this business do not need to be registered as their back grounds can be checked by reference to their service record. BUt once again person should not be using said titles out side the professional sphere.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    thats wat we said, there was no need for it, but again its just an argument between the lads. i was just lookin for someone to give a deffo answer on the subject so it can be droped

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Why would a person in the RDF want to identify themselves by rank in a non military related situation ?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    My bad i never left an example,sorry.
    for example a few of the lads were out one nite(driving not drinking) the were stoped at a check point and the drived ided him self as CPL such-a-such(not going to give names). Some said it shouldnt have been done others said there was no harm in it. its an on going convo for the last few weeks and I would just like to have a third give final confermation so it can be droped, it gets a bit anoying.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    ...and how would you address your self to a member of authority...
    What authority are you referring to ?

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    how would you address your self to a member of authority
    For example??

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    ...use of the rank outside your RDF status...
    This is covered in DFR R5, if I remember correctly...

Yep, Para 63 says:

An officer shall, when using their military rank for any purpose, insert after such rank the
    letters, in brackets - (A.R) or (N.S.R.), as appropriate.

Doesn't seem to forbid it, as such.... HOWEVER...... Para 64 says:

(a)

Members are forbidden to seek personal publicity in any way in connection with their
    service in the Defence Forces.

(b)

Members shall not supply for publication, other than through official channels,
    photographs or particulars connected with their personal services in the Defence
    Forces.

Depends how you interpret (a), I s'pose....

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    As regards being classed as a civvy or member of the Defence Forces, Technically you are both, but given you are generally only subject to Military Law while undertaking training, you are a civvy outside.
    this is the case and use of the rank outside your RDF status is not warranated.

i have come across the case of a former Captain using his rank outside the organisation to promote his own interests which to my mind is an abusive of the rank he held although he was never confronted about it although again to my mind he was undermining the rank by using it for comercial purposes. He has since been promoted but haven't seen him since so don't know if he continued with the practise after I confronted him.

basically the rank only applies within the DF and where retired officers use it in their title again to highlight their qualification I've never come across any body using enlisted ranks as part of their title.

Leave a comment:

• Dazzler
    replied
    Tell people away you are in the RDF, but I would make sure they realise that I mean RESERVES. I wouldn't call myself Gunner when not with the RDF.

Never would I volunteer to a cop that I am a member of the RDF, if only just to keep it simple as possible.

As regards being classed as a civvy or member of the Defence Forces, Technically you are both, but given you are generally only subject to Military Law while undertaking training, you are a civvy outside.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    started a topic rdf

rdf

After joining the RDF, are you still classed as a civi or as a member of the defence force, and how would you address your self to a member of authority- as a civi or as Pte whatever...

Just a little argument between some of the lads
Working...
X