Post Basic blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
    There's one coming up in October. Prelims were on last week.
    November:wink:

Comment

Straight from 2 to 3 star training to ARW is a very rare occurence with the ARW preffering to pick and chose from more experienced soldiers. the ordianry joe soap would have to have a little more time behind him before turning up for that one.

Get a few courses under your belt... the Infantry recce course being the most suitable in my opinion assuming you are infantry if not the cavalry recce course. these are tough and very demanding mentally and physically and good preperation for an ARW selection course.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

do the Irish DF have late start Mondays and 'sports afternoons' on Wednesday and half day on a Friday? it's all good for morale. in one of our postings - we had a guaranteed long weekend (AD Thursday to FP Tuesday) once every month.

just out of interest - how many times a week is organised PT (i.e Platoon Fitness) mandated in the Irish DF? again it's good for morale.

For us I believe it's 5 times a week in the Infantry (2 of those should be Battle PT) and for the Corps and other Arms it seems to be 3 times (1 of those should be Battle PT). it may not be officially 3 and 5 but i know anything under 2 and Platoon Commanders will be in the OC's intray.

do you do 'interest days'? i.e. a trip to another part of the country to explore something and end up in the pub every now and then? what about a day firing foreign weapons? what about Fire-Power demo's? what about Vehicle Navex's? there is loads and loads you can do to keep the platoon training program interesting.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          Straight from 2 to 3 star training to ARW is a very rare occurence with the ARW preffering to pick and chose from more experienced soldiers. the ordianry joe soap would have to have a little more time behind him before turning up for that one...
          Agreed. Popular legend has it that the youngest person to pass Wing Selection, was 18

But as you say, any prospective candidates I' ve seen punding the tarmac have traditionally
          been in their mid to late twenties
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Very much depends on the unit and their other commitments, but traditionally sports on a Wednesday afternoon (evidence on the board says this doesn't happen) and finish early on Friday.

do you do 'interest days'? i.e. a trip to another part of the country to explore something and end up in the pub every now and then?
            Happens on some courses (not sure about the pub part)

what about a day firing foreign weapons?
            No
            what about Fire-Power demo's?
            Used to happen haven't heard about one in a while

In the modern DF you have to do a risk assessment to march troops on the square

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              Agreed. Popular legend has it that the youngest person to pass Wing Selection, was 18

But as you say, any prospective candidates I' ve seen punding the tarmac have traditionally
              been in their mid to late twenties
              not so much legend. I went to school with someone who passed just before 19th
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper
                The majority of courses start at 10 on Monday
                Times seem to have changed. Nothing short of a nuclear strike would prevent the 08.45am parade in the Infantry Weapons Wing.
                The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

17 year old passed a few years ago..
                  Doubtful.
                  Unless he joined as a 13 year old.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                    Times seem to have changed. Nothing short of a nuclear strike would prevent the 08.45am parade in the Infantry Weapons Wing.
                    I did say some courses.. Some courses require you to be in on Sunday evening..
                    Last edited by Craghopper; 8 September 2009, 14:54.

Comment

And How long are you in the Army?????? I'm sorry GF I'm mistaken.. I'll tell the Now Sgt he wasn't 17 when he passed selection!!!!
                      You have to be a 3 star to do selection. Am I right?
                      He could have joined the DF as an apprentice, all those years ago, at 15. He would have left the apprentice school at 18 as a 3 star, but would have been to busy to be sent off to do selection.
                      If he joined as a recruit at 17, it would be 2 years before he'd be allowed do selection.
                      If he joined as a Cadet at 17, it would be 3 years... but why would he be a sergeant now?

So i'm calling this one.

Tell the sergeant to have another look at his birth cert.

I'm in the army since the bulls wore bullswool.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        If he joined as a recruit at 17, it would be 2 years before he'd be allowed do selection.
                        Why would it be 2 years until he could go on Selection?

Comment

Must have changed the entry requirements. It used to be at least 3 star with 2 years "satisfactory" service.

Comment

Fixed for you

Nuff said
                            So you are suggesting that someone in the FCA would not be able to spot someone spewing bull?

By the way, the FCA ceased to exist some years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              So you are suggesting that someone in the FCA would not be able to spot someone spewing bull?

By the way, the FCA ceased to exist some years ago.
                              The Defence Forces is fairly small.

If someone was to start telling lies with regards to things they may have done in their career, there's always someone else in their Unit that knows enough people to check if they're telling the truth or not. When it comes to people talking about things they may have done with the ARW, you can be damn sure that people in his Unit will check out just how true the story is.

If someone claims to have passed Selection at 17 and hasn't been laughed out of his Unit, well then it's fairly obvious he passed Selection at 17.

It's that simple.

Comment

I am suggesting that you don't know half as much as you think you know about the DF!

Any one can spout off DFR's and quote E tenders!

I made a post regarding a Guy I know quite well. I have absolutely nothing to gain by bullshiting !!
                                Is there any way you can argue a point without resorting to mudslinging?

Explain how this individual manages to become a 3 star and still go for selection while 17.

I don't care how much you love him.

Comment

Working...
                                X