No announcement yet.

Post Basic blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hptmurphy, the max time allowable? I know for a fact that there is no max time allowable for enlisted men to serve in the ARW.

There is also a common myth that officers can spend only 3 years in the ARW at a single stretch but this is not true either. They may be moved on at any time or may be left there for years. For officers it is not good for there careers to stay there too long though.

Comment

least the rest of the ARW would know who's making the brews for the next few years!
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

post entry disappointment

Hi lads,

We get some of that here, it really depends on what unit you are in though. Anyone going to the 82nd or 101st in the Infantry will find themselves fairly well busy. It certianly won't be a s structured as basic training but busy enough. Although, I've known of Soldiers who show up to pogue units and get treated like dirt, get bored sweeping floors and end up leaving once they are done. It's all down to the leadership.

A lot of the Army is on the 9-5 life. In an Infantry Bn, it's usually organized PT 5 days/week from 0600-0700, then on with whatever the duties of the day are. Most units will be done by 1700. Some units will do a battalion run or whatever on Friday and a big push is to get everyone out early on Friday.

Some bases will mandate every other Weds a half day for morale purposes and if there is a bank holiday within a day of a wekend, most bases will declare a "training holiday" and give the extra day off. Naturally if you are in the build-up to an exercise, then you'll work UTC (until complete) and pre-deployment is even worse. FFS, it ends up being these 18 hour days, no weekends off, bloody awful. It gets to a point where the deployment is easier than the train up.

Some units are better than others for arranging courses, but it's a unit function.

Most bases have cheap trips, concert tickets, diving lessons, motorbike courses, all sorts of "off time" stuff to try and provide an outlet for the younger Soldiers. Generally you can get time off to take this stuff if your unit is not in a big train up.

Cheers,

A

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
          Are we sure this 2 year thing hasn,t changed in recent years? To be honest i had never heard of it until now. And its not mentioned in any of the literature (ie: posters) advertising the selection courses.

I know a guy, I wont say his age or former unit for fear of identifying him, who passed selection (lets just say in the last 5 years) AND completed his skills course all WITHIN his first 26 months of joinging the DF.
          I know a lad just back off the Prelims and he couldn't be out of training any longer than 6 months.

Comment

If he passed selection he has proved he is mentally and physically capable, also not all who pass selection are offered a place on the Wing, so if he is there he earned the place.
            Last edited by DeV; 9 September 2009, 08:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              If he passed selection he has proved he is mentally and physically capable, also not all who pass selection are offered a place on the Wing, so if he is there he earned the place.
              Nope, Dev, he said PRELIMS.

The Wing brought these in as a means of reducing the failure rate on
              the Selection Course proper

I spoke to a Wing NCO a while ago, and at the time, he told me TWO passed
              the previous Selection
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Hptmurphy, the max time allowable? I know for a fact that there is no max time allowable for enlisted men to serve in the ARW.
                There was at this time about 2000, if you qualified for promotion there were no vacancies for the next rank in the wing and the only way up ..was out. He couldn't be promoted in the army and be allowed to continue to serve as his parent unit was the N/S in order to qualify for the promotion he had to transfer back. Funny that his experience in the wing would have made him top choice for promotion but to take it he had to opt out.

Didn't stay in the DF much longer again once you've been to the top its hard to take a step back.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  There was at this time about 2000, if you qualified for promotion there were no vacancies for the next rank in the wing and the only way up ..was out. He couldn't be promoted in the army and be allowed to continue to serve as his parent unit was the N/S in order to qualify for the promotion he had to transfer back. Funny that his experience in the wing would have made him top choice for promotion but to take it he had to opt out.

Didn't stay in the DF much longer again once you've been to the top its hard to take a step back.
                  He didn't consider a transfer to the Army ?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Are soldiers serving in the arw given a shadow career ?
                    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                      Are soldiers serving in the arw given a shadow career ?

What do you mean??

Comment

He didn't consider a transfer to the Army
                        Never got to discuss it with him .I had met him at the airshow in Baldonnel 2000 where he was displaying an ARW RHIB..would never have realised where he was for years until I copped the green beret in his pocked. was just back from East Timor at the time.

Only was able to confirm he was out a couple of years back at the NS open days at Haulbowline.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Sorry guys, soldiers who are serving in sf units here are monitored by their respective arms, so that when they retuen , they are given a posting appropriate to their rank. They are fast tracked onto any career courses they need and any other specific trainig they may require to bring them upto speed.
                          Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                            Sorry guys, soldiers who are serving in sf units here are monitored by their respective arms, so that when they retuen , they are given a posting appropriate to their rank. They are fast tracked onto any career courses they need and any other specific trainig they may require to bring them upto speed.

More or less the same here..They get to choose a unit of their choice and are giving whatever training is necessary to fill that appointment..

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

No sorry buddy, but that is wrong. I know guys who were in the ARW for more than 12 year and would be around the same vintage as your mate that you are speaking about, and older. To leave for promotion was/is a matter of choice. A substantial number of rangers have Std NCO's courses completed but choose to remain in the wing rather than leave for promotion.

Comment

Working...
                              X